Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

December 2023 Arrivals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
That Freeze Frame Die Cut is great! Those are sneaky tough for /500 cards, it took me several years to find the Ben Grieve from that set.
Yeah, never found one reasonably priced till now. Found a Maddux in a dollar box a few months ago that I traded, but this one was finally under 10 on fleabay. They feel less available than 500, i ll admit.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
1995 Action Packed Bob Cousey

This is a big addition to this set I am trying to build. Thankfully, I chased Bill Russell when it was his only autograph and got a deal on one. I just looked at a checklist and I am missing Billy Cunningham, Bill Bradley and Buddy Jeanette for sure. I missed a Jeanette not that long ago and should have checked, as i didn't bid very high. He had died not too long after the set was issued. Had I known, I might have upped my bid. I don't recall and need to check if I have Dean Smith, Cesare Rubini and Chuck Daly. I think beyond that, I have the rest of them.
Cousey.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A faint Bench auto. Bench.jpg

Gannon recollections or buyback /30. Gannon 30.jpg

Snead RC. By far, my favorite FB card set design. Having the Fran Tarkenton RC in the set doesn't hurt. Ditka too and a few others I don't recall off the top of my head. And to think, baseball gave us those boring wood grain cards the same year.Snead 62.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Guess I should have waited. Got most of the run in a lot, but none had the T206 reprint cards inserted. Found a lot of the first 6 that did and won them. Arrived today.

i don't care about the inserts as much as I like the magazine as issued condition. Hobby Report.jpg

baberuthfan

Aug 12, 2008
florida
Been looking for a nice certified hodges autograph for some time now. Single signed baseballs are almost impossible to find but got this one which displays as a single since its the boldest auto on the ball ( 1967 senators ball) joe cronin al baseball with full jsa cert. surprised it took him so long to get in the hof
E5EE48A4-8654-40BE-8781-1533CACF0C84.jpeg

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'm incredibly excited about this acquisition.

This program is from the GI World Series, played in Nurmberg in September 1945 at Soldier Field. The field, known as Zeppelin Field, was previously a site for German rallies, and H*tler had a large complex on the site.

Highly significant for its symbolism from a military perspective, the significance extended in another direction. The series was played between the OISE All Stars and the 71st Infantry Red Circlers’. The OISE team was integrated and included former N*gro League HOFers Leon Day and Willard Brown.

The programs had to make it back from Europe safely, making them exceedingly rare to begin with, but a few copies of these programs have surfaced over the years (roughly 6-7 in my estimation).

Until recently though, I was unaware of a copy that existed that had been scored. Given the circumstances, I imagined that the copies that survived were the ones that were thrown in soldiers' luggages, rather than taken to the ballpark and scored.

Recently a scored copy popped up and I was able to acquire it. Significantly, the starting pitcher for the OISE squad was Leon Day. And fortuitously, this program was from Game 2 of the series, when Day pitched 8 innings, gave up just 1 run and struck out 10 on the way to a 2-1 victory. The other game that Day pitched was Game 4, and in that game, Day came out on the losing side. The OISE team had a surprise upset, winning the series 3 games to 2.

One other interesting tidbit from the program was that HOF outfielder Willard Brown played shortstop in this game.

Here is an extensive link to items associated with the tournament in general and this series in particular.

Attachments

• GI World Series OISE Scored Cover.jpg
    GI World Series OISE Scored Cover.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 5
  • GI World Series OISE Scored Cover 2.jpg
    GI World Series OISE Scored Cover 2.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 5
  • GI World Series OISE Scored Cover 3.jpg
    GI World Series OISE Scored Cover 3.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 6

Members online

Latest posts