Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

127 Year Old Book Purchase - Spalding 1888/89 Baseball World Tour

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
This got listed on eBay and I scooped it up for my Cap Anson library. It's a first edition (1893) of Harry Palmer's "Sights Around the World" featuring photographs from the 1889 Baseball World Tour organized by Albert Spalding. Think I got a nice deal on it as I paid $100 but the only two auction results I found for it put it in the $300-$500 range (Hunt Auctions 1999 result $475).

In 1888, former pitching great, Albert Spalding, assembled a tour of top baseball talent to visit Australia to spread baseball -- and Spalding's sporting goods -- to the world's masses. The tour soon mushroomed to include stops in New Zealand, Australia, Ceylon, Egypt, Italy, France, and England. Games were played in exotic locales, including by the Sphynx in Egypt, the Villa Borghese in Rome and the Crystal Palace Grounds in London (all shown below).

Spalding's Chicago White Stockings played a series of games against a star-studded "All Americas" team.

Players on the tour included Cap Anson, John Ward, Ned Hanlon, Jimmy Ryan, Bob Pettit, Marty Sullivan, Cap Anson, Fred Pfeffer, Ned Williamson, Tom Burns, Tom Daly, Mark Baldwin, John Tener. George Wood, Fred Carrol, James Fogarty, James Manning, Tom Brown, Billy Earle, Ed Crane, and John Healy,

The Chicago team even included some pitching by Spalding himself, while the All Americas team was managed by baseball pioneer, George Wright.

Palmer's book captures photos from many of the tour's stops along the way. Can't wait to get it in hand and read it!

1604258527605.png
1604258569193.png
1604258619649.png
1604258661466.png
1604258768281.png

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts