Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

$150 and Blue Ref Autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Interesting thing I just noticed tonight, if you have roughly $150 to spend and want a blue ref auto, here are a few of your options.

[phil:v3xs7leb]310327086175[/phil:v3xs7leb] - Sano BGS 9
[phil:v3xs7leb]170692331329[/phil:v3xs7leb] - Fielder Green RC Auto
[phil:v3xs7leb]270813043380[/phil:v3xs7leb] - Ellsbury Draft - seriously look up his stats this year!
[phil:v3xs7leb]120775023836[/phil:v3xs7leb] - Goldschmidt
[phil:v3xs7leb]110735114565[/phil:v3xs7leb] - Montero

So which one do you take? Kind of interesting to see the mix of prospect/just called up/established player.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
cgilmo said:
ballerskrip said:
Fielder #1 hands down....

but it isn't fielder's best card

Still the card I would want the most. If Goldschmidt, Montero, and Sano can be 70% as good as fielder, that would be a win for them. AND, the potential of him going to be a big market team brings some added value in my eyes.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
ballerskrip said:
cgilmo said:
ballerskrip said:

Still the card I would want the most. If Goldschmidt, Montero, and Sano can be 70% as good as fielder, that would be a win for them. AND, the potential of him going to be a big market team brings some added value in my eyes.

Ellsbury

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I'd pick up the Montero because it is the only card that sells for more than $150. ;)

How about this one?

[ebay:1rkaxmck]170691867735[/ebay:1rkaxmck] - Freeman.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
cgilmo said:
GAbballplayer148 said:
cgilmo said:
ballerskrip said:

It isn't the best card for any of those guys...

it is for all except Fielder, who has an early prospect premiers card

I'm confused, are you saying the base chrome auto is the best out of all their RC Autos, or the Blue Refractor Auto is the best of their RC autos?

And if you are going by resale value as the "best" card, Fielder's 02 PP only goes for $125 as a 9.5, and the Blue goes for $150 raw, so I'm not sure how your argument is right either way you look at it.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
I was the buyer on the Fielder, I may have overpaid, but his Bowman Chrome Auto's have been creeping up, and the parallels are hard to find.

I am not a big fan on the 2002 PP Auto. I think that is the big question with Prince Fielder's (RC's) do people buy the 2002 UD PP, 2005 UD SP Authentic,SPx,UD Update Auto's or Leaf Limited, or the 2006 Bowman Chrome green Auto.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
GAbballplayer148 said:
cgilmo said:
GAbballplayer148 said:
cgilmo said:
ballerskrip said:

It isn't the best card for any of those guys...

it is for all except Fielder, who has an early prospect premiers card

I'm confused, are you saying the base chrome auto is the best out of all their RC Autos, or the Blue Refractor Auto is the best of their RC autos?

And if you are going by resale value as the "best" card, Fielder's 02 PP only goes for $125 as a 9.5, and the Blue goes for $150 raw, so I'm not sure how your argument is right either way you look at it.

The blue refractor is a parallel

you have to compare base to base, and parallel to parallel

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
cgilmo said:
ballerskrip said:

right there with ya skrip.

Honestly, it was Ellsbury that started the thought for me, seeing his production this year and then seeing that he and Sano were selling the same is what made me post.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Back in May, I paid $150 for my Zimmerman Blue Auto BGS 9, I personally would want that one.

But of the ones listed, I wouldn't mind the Fielder.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
I'd pick up the Montero because it is the only card that sells for more than $150. ;)

How about this one?

[ebay:1vl9gc8i]170691867735[/ebay:1vl9gc8i] - Freeman.

Exactly, Montero blue ref autos are in the $180-200 range.
Chances are you wont find one at $150 any more. Bad comparison to include his card in this discussion.

For arguments sake I would take Ellsbury or Montero. If either of their teams make the world series these cards could see a nice pop.

The Blue ref Id buy though is Justin Upton it can be had for the same amount as the montero right now $200

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
bdal23 said:
The Blue ref Id buy though is Justin Upton it can be had for the same amount as the montero right now $200

Agreed. Although slightly higher than the $150 I'd rather have him than the others.

If I had to pick between the ones Phil listed I'd go with Sano because there's still plenty of room to grow on that hype train.

sunojorel

Oct 5, 2010
GAP, PA
chompsmcgee said:
bdal23 said:

Agreed. Although slightly higher than the $150 I'd rather have him than the others.

If I had to pick between the ones Phil listed I'd go with Sano because there's still plenty of room to grow on that hype train.

I understand Skirp's point of view and agree with the theory that if for instance: Fielder went to Washington for example they Hype train there with Strasburg, & the Harper 2012 mid season watch, coupled with the Rendon and other MILBERS futures both HE AND ZIMMERMAN can and will get some hobby love and appreciate IMO (seriously how does R Zimmerman not get closer to the realized prices of Longoria and Braun is tough to understand all relatively similar bats and roughly same age).

But for me I would prefer the Sano I believe that the 20 hrs look sexy to people (most of us here realize that it can not be viewed in a vacuum, but the kid definitely has some inarguable tools) and BA will have him the Twins #1 prospect next year etc.. That card can easily be selling at Machado levels in the not too distant future....

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I'm with Gilmo on this one.

by BEST card he means a Chrome Fielder from 2006 isn't as good as a Prospect Premiers from 2002 or an SP Authentic Auto from 2005. The FOUR years between "Rc's" means the 06 Fielder is not nearly as attractive to a Fielder fan as a 2005 Ellsbury chrome is to an Ellsbury fan.

Same as Hunter Pence Chrome Autos, Jose Bautista, or anyone that had an Earlier auto or Much Earlier non-auto RC to compete with the chrome Auto. The Chrome may even (often) be worth more than the earlier card, but its still "dinged" in perception by many.

If that 2006 Fielder Auto was a 2002 Fielder Auto, it would be the clear cut answer hands down. (It would also probably sell for closer to 400 than 150).

As it is, The Ellsbury is probably the best buy at 150. Next would be the Montero

And yes, big market teams in the post season impact my estimation of peak value.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:
I'm with Gilmo on this one.

by BEST card he means a Chrome Fielder from 2006 isn't as good as a Prospect Premiers from 2002 or an SP Authentic Auto from 2005. The FOUR years between "Rc's" means the 06 Fielder is not nearly as attractive to a Fielder fan as a 2005 Ellsbury chrome is to an Ellsbury fan.

Same as Hunter Pence Chrome Autos, Jose Bautista, or anyone that had an Earlier auto or Much Earlier non-auto RC to compete with the chrome Auto. The Chrome may even (often) be worth more than the earlier card, but its still "dinged" in perception by many.

If that 2006 Fielder Auto was a 2002 Fielder Auto, it would be the clear cut answer hands down. (It would also probably sell for closer to 400 than 150).

As it is, The Ellsbury is probably the best buy at 150. Next would be the Montero

And yes, big market teams in the post season impact my estimation of peak value.

His lack of words made it hard to distinguish what he was talking about. I would agree that the UDPP is better than the 06 Base Chrome, but the way he worded his post was not clear at all.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
GAbballplayer148 said:
His lack of words made it hard to distinguish what he was talking about. I would agree that the UDPP is better than the 06 Base Chrome, but the way he worded his post was not clear at all.

Words are our friends :)