Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1890s Honus Wagner photo Listed, needs authentication...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Kinda cool story, whether the photo turns out to be Legit or not.

I actually can't find the auction on eBay. But according to the article it's from a seller close to me, of a Honus Wagner (apparently homemade) collage was allegedly found at Flea Market around here but not authenticated in any way.

Here's a link to a Local paper who picked up the Story because the photographer is from Lancaster PA.

Honus Wagner image has Lancaster link - News

sbfinley

Mar 23, 2011
A couple of things.

a. I give it a 2-3% chance that it is him. There is a resemblance, but some of the features look off. The recent fad on ebay and in the market is to find old cabinet photos or daguerreotypes that somewhat look like a famous ballplayer and try to pass them off. They are almost impossible to prove true and are usually easily debunked.

b. It's not a collage. It it an old miniature cabinet. Here is the auction. RARE Only Known Teen Photo of Honus Wagner C 1890 Early 1st Baseball Church Team | eBay

c. That is in no way a period 1890's baseball uniform.

d. That is some horrible reporting. "Certain images of "The Flying Dutchman" can be valuable. For instance, a 1909 picture of him late in his career was auctioned last weekend for $2.1 million.

Members online

Latest posts