Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1952 Mantle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Beauty of a card! They've recently dropped it to $950,000 obo. I might have to put in an offer if it drops any further. :p

Honestly though, if I was buying a card for nearly $1,000,000 I don't think I'd be too concerned about $1,100 in shipping. My biggest concern would be actually receiving it especially with all of the mailing issues that everyone's been dealing with.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Beauty of a card! They've recently dropped it to $950,000 obo. I might have to put in an offer if it drops any further. :p

Honestly though, if I was buying a card for nearly $1,000,000 I don't think I'd be too concerned about $1,100 in shipping. My biggest concern would be actually receiving it especially with all of the mailing issues that everyone's been dealing with.
I'd want that baby hand delivered. Nevermind trusting the mail

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Am I the only one who noticed the crease that runs all the way through the back and well as part of the front of the card? How on earth is that a 7?

Nope, not anymore. I didn't look at it that closely and SGC has a pretty good reputation for vintage grading. May very well be over-graded actually, although I am not a resident vintage expert like a lot of folks here.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Am I the only one who noticed the crease that runs all the way through the back and well as part of the front of the card? How on earth is that a 7?
Are you talking about through the "hits" column on back? I think that is some sort of print mark, if so. Does not look like a crease to me.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Are you talking about through the "hits" column on back? I think that is some sort of print mark, if so. Does not look like a crease to me.

What I see when I blow it up on the back is it appears to start in the red border running through the A and R in CHARLES and continues across the card until it looks like it stops just above the 0 in 360 in the Life Time hits column.
Not the best high resolution scan when you blow it up but my best guess is a surface crease.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think you are looking at the same thing I see. I think it is some sort of printing flaw personally. It's too obvious for it to be a crease and have a grade like that.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think it is some sort of printing flaw personally. It's too obvious for it to be a crease and have a grade like that.
I agree it looks like a printing streak. I have several ‘50s cards with similar printers ink lines. I doubt SGC would miss a crease like that. A ‘52 Topps Mantle would be scrutinized and inspected much more closely than other cards.

Last edited:

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Your right guys, it could very well be a printing line. If it were to be a crease it most likely would have went all the way to the right edge of the card.
Either way it's a very nice card but maybe a bit of a stretch for a "7."

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Yeah that's what I'm talking about. You can also see it along the top of the Yankees logo box on the front of the card. Maybe it is just a print line but it looks like a pressed crease to me in the blown up photo. I can't imagine SGC missing something like that either but you never know.

Members online

Latest posts