Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 Topps Porcelain cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
There is a statue of Steve Garvey that rarely comes up for sale. I forgot the maker, but the statue itself or a cert that comes with it (don't recall now), states that there were supposed to be 2000+ pieces. I am certain I read somewhere where it was documented that they stopped selling them for some reason and only a fraction of the proposed run were actually made and sold, maybe 200 or less. I suspect this happened a lot with items that were not regularly sold year after year (like baseball cards). Companies would try to sell something and find it to be less popular than they figured and either stop productionat some point or not continue with it on subsequent items within their issue.

I know this is all vague and not based on any hard evidence, but the lack of items in the marketplace is almost evidence alone. Things pop up from the turn of the century all the time now, but porcelain cards of common players reported to be made in a 1000 piece issue in the 90s, the boom of sport collectibles, have never surfaced. Unless someone is hoarding some for unknown reasons, I just don't buy that they were made and/or distributed.

I'll also share another semi-related story that has to do with a college football card that was "never issued". i'll keep the specifics anonymous, just in case. I ran into a guy who had 100s of them, probably the unissued quantity, minus those he had sold over time. He was keeping the market price at the going rate for the few and far between singles he released, yet he could have let them all out and blown up the market price. However, his shop closed years back and he seems to have disappeared. Don't know what became of his stock. Maybe it is still locked away in some storage unit, waiting to be discovered in 20 years? Kind of like what happened with the guy that disclosed on message boards a year or two ago that he had a 800 count box of the previously impossibly hard to find 1989 (or was it 90) UD Mike Witt black box. He was selling them for as low as $30 at one point, but still trying to hold on to part of their value, as he also could have essentially wiped out most of the value. people who are aware still probably would not pay much, knowing that another 700+ still may exist out there. I don't care about the card and have not checked, but the guy may still be selling them a few at a time.

100% agree people hoard things for years another example 1998 Topps Sportz Cubz, believed one set and 5 sets were sold buy a former Topps Employee. Just like you mentioned a lot of unknown. Do I believe there are 1000 even 5000 commons floating around of a player no but I do believe 1 of each was made and more than likely all the star players as they sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013

So far, I have found evidence (meaning I've actually seen a scan or photo) of 145 of the 825 total that would make up a 1993 complete set. I have yet to find any piece of advertising media explaining how they were offered.

Here is the 2003 Standard Catalog's blurb about the set:
" Each card in Topps' 825-card set for 1993 was reproduced in a porcelain version. The thin, round-cornered porcelain cards are in the same size as the regular cards and exactly reproduce both front and back. Each card was sold shrinkwrapped on a 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" cardboard backing with a wooden display stand and numbered certificate of authenticity. The first five cards in the set, and every card with a number divisible by five, were produced in an edition of 5,000; all other cards were issued in an edition of 1,000. "

There are at least 3 versions of the Jeter, as the is the silver, the original issue #/1000 and another numbered something over 2000. Similarly, there were other issues for several superstar players where entire career sets were issued that overlap with the 1993 set.

I see Beckett used the checklist for the Topps Gold set, which makes sense, as I doubt anyone would have wanted porcelain versions of the checklist cards.
Are you still tracking these? I beleive I came across some magnets you didn't have listed. LMK

Ryan

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Are you still tracking these? I beleive I came across some magnets you didn't have listed. LMK

Ryan
Yes, still tracking and updating that blog post as new cards or magnets surface. Just added Chat Kreuter and Jose Canseco to the 1993 magnet list.

What did you find?

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yes, still tracking and updating that blog post as new cards or magnets surface. Just added Chat Kreuter and Jose Canseco to the 1993 magnet list.

What did you find?
I guess Blauser may be the only one not listed when I relooked. Also for reference, I have 2 different 1986 Topps Traded Clark Magnet Variations.

Ryan
20230313_190802.jpg

What did you find?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230327_090852_Mercari.jpg
    Screenshot_20230327_090852_Mercari.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 8

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts