Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Donruss Preferred Fanfest Tins - Trade for Frank Thomas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Hey, guys. I recently picked up a few of the extremely rare 1997 Donruss Preferred Fanfest tins. As you probably know, these were distributed as an introductory offering to dealers (or perhaps attendees) at the 1997 All-Star Game Fanfest show in Cleveland and are incredibly difficult to find, as only a handful of each player were produced.

I've got mint condition tins of Jeter, Chipper, Arod, Gwynn, McGwire, Manny, and Pudge. I'm looking to trade some combination of these for a Frank Thomas fanfest tin (before putting them up for sale outright). It's unlikely that anyone with a Thomas would let it go, but I figure it's worth a shot in the dark. Any trade combo would be in your favor as Thomas is the only player I collect. Here are the tins I have:

1589810431551.png 1589810531392.png 1589810587136.png 1589810558133.png
1589810621093.png 1589810645410.png 1589810664978.png
@Be8el0ve @NY Tony @chris19978 @chipperjfan10 @383astro @chippercards.com @cbrandtw @Enfuego79 @Matthew J Burrows @PadresFan86 @Gwynn545 @xcantgobackx @Silky @chadgwynn @Big Mac McGwire @Mark McGwire Museum @adifran25 @onionring9 @7guns @carrsallstars @Gonzaleznut @jkeys @pudge4hof

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Good Luck. It's nice to see that you are willing to sell the others and not just hold them in case a Thomas comes up and that person just happens to collect another player and needs that exact item and is willing to trade it to you for the Thomas.

I added that last part somewhat in jest, as I have seen many people do this. I will only trade item "X" for item "Y" I need.

They need an item that may be hard to come by and have several other players from that same issue instead that have no collecting interest to them. Rather than make the other items available to other collectors who are searching for this same hard to find item, they hold on to them in hopes that it might be the necessary piece to obtain their specific item. In some cases that may be true, but I suspect that in most cases they are just holding the items hostage from other collectors and that perfect deal may never come.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Good Luck. It's nice to see that you are willing to sell the others and not just hold them in case a Thomas comes up and that person just happens to collect another player and needs that exact item and is willing to trade it to you for the Thomas.

I added that last part somewhat in jest, as I have seen many people do this. I will only trade item "X" for item "Y" I need.

They need an item that may be hard to come by and have several other players from that same issue instead that have no collecting interest to them. Rather than make the other items available to other collectors who are searching for this same hard to find item, they hold on to them in hopes that it might be the necessary piece to obtain their specific item. In some cases that may be true, but I suspect that in most cases they are just holding the items hostage from other collectors and that perfect deal may never come.
I figured that I'd try a shot in the dark first. Isn't that pretty much the whole premise behind trading, though...you have something that other collectors want so you put it on the trade block first in hopes that someone is interested and has what you want from that same set? If that item is especially difficult to come by, the prospect of a trade going heavily in your favor may be enough to let go of something you were collecting. For example, if I have a Griffey '96 Mirror Gold and want to trade it (along with an Arod, Ripken, and minor stars) for the Thomas '96 Mirror Gold, the flipping prospect might be enough for someone with a Thomas Mirror Gold to trade it away. In reality, unless you're just giving items away, you're holding everything hostage until the right trade or $$ amount comes along. Being specific about your desired return (within reason) shouldn't be something to be shamed about.

Members online

Latest posts