Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1999 Leaf Certified 1/1's! NFL Logo's. Legit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
From a few other forums it looks like they were sold as a set. They are not from packs but appear to be made by a manufacturer and not after market.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I've never heard of them before but considering the regular cards are stamped /300 on the back, if they are fake then the faker would have had to print up fake backs and slapped them on the cards, or somehow gotten his hands on backdoored unstamped proof cards. I don't remember a contest or anything for these cards when the set came out, I wonder if the set was given to an executive or something?

EDIT: Wow, they seem legit: http://www.milehighcardco.com/lot-31036.aspx. getting my snipe ready.

Last edited:

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
I've actually seen this set in person. A dealer at one of the shows in Chicago (I believe it was the short-lived SportsFest in Schaumburg) was in possession of the set and had it in one of his cases along with the LOA shown in the link above. I know the letter is addressed to D&A but I don't think they had it back then. I had been collecting the Packers in this set and knew that the base cards had been commonly altered. I was quite skeptical until I saw the LOA in the case, which along with the stamped 1/1 numbering on all of them made me a believer.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Well I won the Dilfer, went a little higher than I had hoped but lower than I was prepared for, $169. That's a new "most I've spent on a card" record and a little higher than his 2001 Topps Gallery original painting I won last year. It's a lot of money but it's likely his only NFL shield card, plus I have all of his other GU cards so now I have the only possible GU "complete set".

Anybody else win one?

touchdowntimekc

Dec 19, 2009
I won the Derrick Thomas for $303.....thought it would actually go higher because there are a ton of high end Thomas collectors..

He was my favorite player as a kid I've got around 830 of his 870 non 1/1 cards ever made...I'm pretty sure I have the most different than anyone but you never know for sure

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Nice cards , I wonder what prevented them from the Emmitt n Thurman being patches. Seems like a good but for the reseller as he paid about $80/card , I wonder what D&A paid originally.

Ryan

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I think the Thurman Thomas and Emmitt Smith not being shields lends credence to this sets legitimacy...if they were using fake shields there's no reason to not use them for 2 guys, especially somebody like Emmitt Smith. As for why they didn't have shields for them, I wonder if the shields were damaged during the cutting process or the jerseys were ripped or something? Also checking card pics it seems like the NFL started putting the "shield" on game jerseys in 1991. The Emmitt jersey could have been from 1990, and the Thomas from 1989 or 1990.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yeah , I'm not doubting the legitimacy at all , I like the cards, just curious what the reason could have been. The fact they put the effort into making the set all shields but were not able to get at least the ES and TT accomplished is interesting.

Ryan

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I was more trying to reassure myself that they are legit, since I spent $170 on a card I'd never heard of before this week, ha.

It looks like 1999 was the first year Donruss/Leaf made jersey cards, so it's possible that they only had 1 jersey for Thomas and Smith and it happened to be a pre-shield one. I guess they didn't want to go buy a newer jersey just to make the two cards for the charity auction, and used what they had.

Members online

Latest posts