Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2001 Fleer Tradition Stitches in Time Auto set - completed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Well, I think I've completed this set. Beckett checklists it at 7 cards, but I don't think the Willie Mays cards were ever packed out. I think Fleer made them but Mays never signed them. Beckett has it with a BV of $200, but I'd sure like to know where they came up with that if indeed they were never distributed (and thus no secondary sales). I love this on-card auto set, as it has three players dear to my heart (Banks, Radcliffe and O'Neil).

banks01FT.jpg black01FT.jpg irvin01FT.jpg
oneil01FT.jpg radcliffe01FT.jpg wilson01FT.jpg

The only info I can find on the Mays cards comes from the website CollectorEmpire.com. It just has this little blurb and photo.

mays01FT.jpg

Can anyone confirm for sure that this card was never packed out with an auto? Anyone have or seen an unautoed version?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Great stuff!! IMO one of the most significant auto sets of all time (only auto set that is made entirely of former ***** League players) and way underrated. It is the only auto set I have ever taken on piecing together. Like yourself I've seen no evidence that the Mays exists (though I heard someone once claim that something like 5 copies exist. No confirmation or anything close to confirmation on that.)

I wish the companies would do a complete set geared toward the ***** Leagues before it is to late to get any of the players to sign.

BTW, the image for the Monte Irvin is not coming up for me.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Topnotchsy said:
Great stuff!! IMO one of the most significant auto sets of all time (only auto set that is made entirely of former ***** League players) and way underrated. It is the only auto set I have ever taken on piecing together. Like yourself I've seen no evidence that the Mays exists (though I heard someone once claim that something like 5 copies exist. No confirmation or anything close to confirmation on that.)

I wish the companies would do a complete set geared toward the ***** Leagues before it is to late to get any of the players to sign.

Thanks topnotchsy! I agree with you it is a historic set and underrated. Is your Irvin in blue ink? I think all the Irvin's were, but would like additional confirmation. It's really too bad the Mays was never made (at least in significant quantities). That card would push this set over the top!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:
Topnotchsy said:

Thanks topnotchsy! I agree with you it is a historic set and underrated. Is your Irvin in blue ink? I think all the Irvin's were, but would like additional confirmation. It's really too bad the Mays was never made (at least in significant quantities). That card would push this set over the top!
I've never seen an Irvin in any other color. Would have been nice if he signed in black like all the rest. If I remember correctly the Artie Wilson only came out after the Fleer bankruptcy and was not in the original release.

As for the Mays, if it exists and one surfaces, I'm scared to think how high it would go. There's a lot of people out there who have done the set and are just waiting for one to surface.

And if by some miracle anyone at UD is reading this, PLEASE CONTINUE THE SET!! It would be awesome if UD got as many other living former ***** Leaguers to sign cards and continue to the set in newer products.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
Great work. I had all of them at one point but have had to break it up. Unfortunately I always felt it was incomplete without the Mays, but it is still a fantastic set.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Topnotchsy said:
If I remember correctly the Artie Wilson only came out after the Fleer bankruptcy and was not in the original release.

In 2005? That seems odd/unlikely to me. Never heard that one, but anything's possible with Fleer.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
darrend505 said:
If you don't mind me asking what does the set book?
I don't have the answer to this, but I do know that none are too expensive. The Ernie Banks is probably the most, and while I have not followed them closely recently, I don't think it was more than a $50 card on eBay. The O'neil probably sells pretty well as well, but most could be had under $20.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:
Topnotchsy said:
If I remember correctly the Artie Wilson only came out after the Fleer bankruptcy and was not in the original release.

In 2005? That seems odd/unlikely to me. Never heard that one, but anything's possible with Fleer.
I am almost certain, but if someone could confirm this it would be great.

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
That's correct about the 2001 Artie Wilson auto. Those only came out after the closing of Fleer. I was actually given two of those in 2005-2006.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Wow!

I was working on the complete master set (autos/inserts/base/etc) and was missing the autos because they were hard to find.

I finally gave up and sold what I did have

walter55

Aug 7, 2008
I know for sure the 2001 Fleer GOTG Larry Doby autograph was not released until it was packed out in 2004 or 2005 National Pastime which was just a set of all their old inventory they had left. Not sure on the Wilson though.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
George K said:
That's correct about the 2001 Artie Wilson auto. Those only came out after the closing of Fleer. I was actually given two of those in 2005-2006.

Thanks George and Topnotschy. That's interesting info to know. And KNOWING is half the battle (the other half is VIOLENCE).