Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2004 Donruss Timelines - Recollection Autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trickey

Aug 15, 2021
How rare or typically hard to find are the 2004 Donruss Timelines - Recollection Autos? I'm looking for only Jesse Barfield, and they are proving more diffiult than I had imagined. I have 2 of them, but there are quite a few listed...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I can't speak specifically for this set or Barfield in particular, but I have found this to be true for most newer serial numbered cards. When the set hits the market, ebay is flooded with examples for several weeks or more. Box breakers and the likes are exposing the cards and trying to recoup. That activity slows down when the supply starts to dry up or when a newer product replaces it. Then singles all but dry up. After that, you see a few here and there, but most of the time it is a dry spell.

If the cards are very low number, say 100 or less, then it makes it that much harder. Add in that when a product is now old, most of the singles are going to be "money" cards, cards that the sellers list that make it worth their time. Barfield, even an autograph, probably does not qualify for most sellers to bother.

After hitting up a show a few weeks ago, I was reminded of just how much stuff is out there, often just locked in collections or dealer boxes, never to be seen again if the right buyer doesn't come along and spot it.

Good luck. I haver a handful of Garvey singles that have disappeared as well. I was even missing a base card that stumped me for a long time. Patience and keeping an eye out usually helps. Not to mention making connections on these sites doesn't hurt either., which you are on your way to doing Many others here can probably share examples of folks reaching out to them, as they recognize a true collector of a certain player. Often items are generously gifted between collectors too. I have participated in and been recipient of this generosity myself.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
To an extent, but then frustration may set in after too long. You see it all the time though, guys posting about completing a set or run 20+ years later by finally finding that last piece of the puzzle.

I do get a special kind of excitement seeing something for sale or at auction that I want that I had never seen before or had not seen for years. Sometimes the thought of losing at auction can be stressful as I wait for the end of the listing, hoping I score a deal and not have to pay a ton or worse, lose out to someone else. I sit back and do wonder from time to time what is the big draw for me. I love buying or winning items I really wanted, getting mail, sharing them online, looking through items in my collection that I may not have viewed in a while and even enjoy the hunt at a shop or show, although that can wear on as you look through 100s or 1000s of cards and only find a few you want.

Maybe the hunt is a big part of the draw. Once you take the item down and own it, the thrill is mostly gone.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
They are pretty tough compared to similarly numbered cards. Try also just searching for his autographs from the particular years the original cards were from, as some sellers might not put "recollection collection" in the auction title. They're from 17 years ago, so yeah like mrmopar is saying most of these are going to be buried in boxes (dealers, trade boxes, forgotten boxes in a closet/attic, permanent collections) unlike say a rare Jeter or Griffey card that everybody knows is big money.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Keep casting a wide net. Now that my player collections are so advanced and my wants are thinning... I've needed to be more aggressive in letting people know... "hey, I'm looking for these cards/players" and I've started to see more leads.

trickey

Aug 15, 2021
Keep casting a wide net. Now that my player collections are so advanced and my wants are thinning... I've needed to be more aggressive in letting people know... "hey, I'm looking for these cards/players" and I've started to see more leads.
I think so too. Although, I'm sure everyone around here doesn't want to see anymore "Jesse Barfield" posts for awhile. ;)

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
One thing to check out is the Super Collectors group on Facebook. Just post what you are looking for and maybe one of the other Barfield collectors or someone that is going through their boxes might come across something you need..

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
One thing to check out is the Super Collectors group on Facebook. Just post what you are looking for and maybe one of the other Barfield collectors or someone that is going through their boxes might come across something you need..

Wish I could join that group. Neither of my guys even have 250 cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I asked and was approved, didn't say anything about card counts. Garvey does have at least 1200 or so cards, but have never bothered to take a count. I like the oddball stuff better than most cards anyway, and nobody ever counts that stuff.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Oh are we showing off Recollection Collections now? I just have three:

04dtreco03d.jpg 04donrecollection03.jpg 04dkrecollection88donlansford.jpg

The Hudson and Zito are from 2004 Timelines, 09/39 and 19/25. The Carney is my favorite since he has way fewer autos out there than the other two. It's from 2004 Diamond Kings and is 45/66.

Members online

Latest posts