Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 Chicago White Sox World Series Autograph Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
Hey guys, as almost all of you know, I am a die-hard Sox fan, and 2005 was a magical season. It was the first year I was interested into baseball, and I was only 6 when they won the World Series, but it's something I'll never forget. I remember watching the World Series with my family and my grandpa, but I had to go to sleep during the later part of the game because it was past my bedtime. I remember waking up the next morning so happy to see that they won. It was an amazing time of baseball for me. I want to almost "relive" those moments by getting an autograph AND a blue refractor of everyone that played on the team that year. Whether they only played one game, or all 162, I want them. Here's my progress so far. I know it's not much so far, but I hope to continually add pieces to this. This is a really meaningful project. Thanks for looking.

List of players/coaches. Bolded are the are the autographs I have. If the name is in blue, I have a blue refractor of them. If the name is both bold and blue, I have an autograph and a blue refractor of them.

Total Autographs: 24/46 - 52.17%
Total Blue Refractors: 10/46 - 21.74%

Pitchers
37 Jon Adkins
57 Jeff Bajenaru
56 Mark Buehrle
52 Jose Contreras
46 Neal Cotts
34 Freddy Garcia
20 Jon Garland
32 Dustin Hermanson
26 Orlando Hernandez
45 Bobby Jenks
43 Damaso Marte
41 Brandon McCarthy
18 Cliff Politte
65 David Sanders
10 Shingo Takatsu
51 Luis Vizcaino
58 Kevin Walker

Catchers
31 Raul Casanova
12 A.J. Pierzynski
36 Chris Widger

Infielders
27 Geoff Blum
24 Joe Crede
17 Ross Gload
27 Jamie Burke
1 Willie Harris
15 Tadahito Iguchi
14 Paul Konerko
62 Pedro Lopez
38 Pablo Ozuna
5 Juan Uribe

Outfielders
44 Brian Anderson
25 Joe Borchard
23 Jermaine Dye
8 Carl Everett
7 Timo Perez
22 Scott Podsednik
33 Aaron Rowand

Other Batters
35 Frank Thomas

Manager
13 Ozzie Guillén

Coaches
3 Harold Baines (bench)
21 Don Cooper (pitching)
28 Joey Cora (third base)
53 Art Kusnyer (bullpen)
59 Man Soo Lee (bullpen catcher)
30 Tim Raines (first base)
29 Greg Walker (hitting)

Brian Anderson, Joe Borchard, Neal Cotts (I'd like to upgrade to a certified autograph if possible), Jermaine Dye, Jon Garland, Paul Konerko

Pedro Lopez, Brandon McCarthy, Scott Podsednik (I'd like to upgrade to a certified autograph in a Sox uniform if possible), Aaron Rowand, Shingo Takatsu, Ozzie Guillen (I'd like to upgrade to a certified autograph if possible)

Tadahito Iguchi, Mark Buehrle, A.J. Pierzynski (I'd like to upgrade to a certified autograph in a Sox uniform if possible), Joe Crede

Harold Baines (Bench Coach), Tim Raines (First Base Coach), Willie Harris, Freddy Garcia (I'd like to upgrade to a certified autograph in a Sox uniform if possible), and Juan Uribe (I'd like to upgrade to a certified autograph in a Sox uniform if possible)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Refractors:

Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Joe Crede, Jermaine Dye, Tadahito Iguchi, Bobby Jenks

Paul Konerko, A.J. Pierzynski, Aaron Rowand

Last edited:

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
That's awesome! I got into a similar project that bogged down a couple years ago. I was going for anyone on the roster during the 2005 season. I'll try to dig them out and scan later tonight.

*edit*

I found my box with what I have:

# Pitchers
37 Jon Adkins
57 Jeff Bajenaru
56 Mark Buehrle
52 Jose Contreras
46 Neal Cotts
34 Freddy Garcia
20 Jon Garland
32 Dustin Hermanson
26 Orlando Hernandez
45 Bobby Jenks
43 Damaso Marte
41 Brandon McCarthy
18 Cliff Politte
65 David Sanders
10 Shingo Takatsu
51 Luis Vizcaino
58 Kevin Walker

# Catchers
31 Raul Casanova
12 A.J. Pierzynski
36 Chris Widger
Jamie Burke

# Infielders
27 Geoff Blum
24 Joe Crede
17 Ross Gload
1 Willie Harris
15 Tadahito Iguchi
14 Paul Konerko
62 Pedro Lopez
38 Pablo Ozuna
5 Juan Uribe

# Outfielders
44 Brian Anderson
25 Joe Borchard
23 Jermaine Dye
8 Carl Everett
7 Timo Perez
22 Scott Podsednik
33 Aaron Rowand
35 Frank Thomas

Other than Iguchi and Thomas, I think the rest of the guys either don't have certified autos or they are really tough to find. If you have a COMC account, I found the bulk of the lesser names on there for really cheap. Have fun with the chase!

Last edited:

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
That's awesome! I got into a similar project that bogged down a couple years ago. I was going for anyone on the roster during the 2005 season. I'll try to dig them out and scan later tonight.

Thanks! This will be a long and fun project. If you're moving anything, let me know.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Do you want certified autos? If so the project wont be complete because some players dont have any. I have alot of IP autos on topps cards of them. I am actually working on the 2005 topps sox set and the 2005 topps world series sox set too. Let me know

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
Do you want certified autos? If so the project wont be complete because some players dont have any. I have alot of IP autos on topps cards of them. I am actually working on the 2005 topps sox set and the 2005 topps world series sox set too. Let me know

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Hey Ed,
I knew that some of these guys don't have certified autos. I was hoping to knock out the certified ones first. I guess for the guys that don't have certified autos I'll have to go with IP. Which ones do you have?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
As much as I hate to help someone cheering the defeat of my beloved Astros, you might want to look into TTM autographs. You'll get some of these guys for the price of two stamps and two envelopes.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010

I finished the World Series set a few years ago. It looks amazing. Damaso Marte was the last autograph I needed....got him in the bullpen before the Yankees played the Sox in 2010.

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
As much as I hate to help someone cheering the defeat of my beloved Astros, you might want to look into TTM autographs. You'll get some of these guys for the price of two stamps and two envelopes.

Oh the 2005 Series. Still stings... Good luck with your project!
Thanks guys! The Astros were really good that year. Do you know which guys do TTM?
I finished the World Series set a few years ago. It looks amazing. Damaso Marte was the last autograph I needed....got him in the bullpen before the Yankees played the Sox in 2010.
Wow, congrats. I'd love to see a pic if you have one.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Thanks guys! The Astros were really good that year. Do you know which guys do TTM?

Wow, congrats. I'd love to see a pic if you have one.

There are 30 total cards. The set is difficult because the World Series sets are not found easily or inexpensively, so doing TTM is a bigger risk than just a regular base Topps card. If you lose a particular card, you have to buy another set to replace it. I think I went through three or four sets to get what I needed. It was a helacious project, especially tracking down the Dominican guys. I hooked up with a really nice guy that worked for the Colorado Rockies and made a donation to the Rockies fund in exchange for him getting Luis Vizcaino's autograph for me. I had some help from a Tigers fan I met at US Cellular, who happened to live in Toledo, in trying to track down Timo Perez when he was playing for the Mud Hens. I completely lucked out in getting El Duque's autograph (which is beautiful) with a TTM in Spring Training 2008. Iguchi was another guy I lucked out on with TTM in 2007. Carl Everett was a paid private signing. Big Frank signed in person at a paid event. Marte was the most difficult. I saw him in the Yankees bullpen before the game at the Cell. He was down there by himself, just coming off an injury. Everyone was trying to get ARod and Jeter's autograph by the dugout, and I was the only fan literally within 200 feet of the bullpen. I asked him nicely a couple of times, and he didn't acknowledge me, but finally he told the security card to get the card, and he signed it, gave it back to the guard who gave it to me. It was a fun project that took several years, but I am glad it is over.

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
I know Blum signs off the top of my head.
Thanks! I might send to him if I can't buy and auto.
There are 30 total cards. The set is difficult because the World Series sets are not found easily or inexpensively, so doing TTM is a bigger risk than just a regular base Topps card. If you lose a particular card, you have to buy another set to replace it. I think I went through three or four sets to get what I needed. It was a helacious project, especially tracking down the Dominican guys. I hooked up with a really nice guy that worked for the Colorado Rockies and made a donation to the Rockies fund in exchange for him getting Luis Vizcaino's autograph for me. I had some help from a Tigers fan I met at US Cellular, who happened to live in Toledo, in trying to track down Timo Perez when he was playing for the Mud Hens. I completely lucked out in getting El Duque's autograph (which is beautiful) with a TTM in Spring Training 2008. Iguchi was another guy I lucked out on with TTM in 2007. Carl Everett was a paid private signing. Big Frank signed in person at a paid event. Marte was the most difficult. I saw him in the Yankees bullpen before the game at the Cell. He was down there by himself, just coming off an injury. Everyone was trying to get ARod and Jeter's autograph by the dugout, and I was the only fan literally within 200 feet of the bullpen. I asked him nicely a couple of times, and he didn't acknowledge me, but finally he told the security card to get the card, and he signed it, gave it back to the guard who gave it to me. It was a fun project that took several years, but I am glad it is over.

They made a whole set for this? I have the 55 card commemorative set from the World Series. That sounds like a lot of fun. You sure had to work hard to get all of them. Did you get the coaches autos too? I am adding that as an extra challenge.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Thanks! I might send to him if I can't buy and auto.

They made a whole set for this? I have the 55 card commemorative set from the World Series. That sounds like a lot of fun. You sure had to work hard to get all of them. Did you get the coaches autos too? I am adding that as an extra challenge.

I'm talking about the 55-card set, but getting the 30 player cards signed. The other 25 highlight cards don't leave enough room for signatures and aren't individual cards.

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I have that set, but they're all unsigned. I'm trying to get certified autos, but for the guys that don't, I'll have to do TTM or IP.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland

We need to talk. Just posting this as a reminder to get ahold of you and talk Sox autos. Just had a baby the other day so Ill get ahold of you when less hectic

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
I picked up this bad boy yesterday.

Jon Garland went 18-10 with a 3.50 ERA, 115 strikeouts, and led the AL with 3 shutouts in 2005. He also made the All Star Team that year and was critical to the starting rotation that led the Sox to win the World Series.

Pedro Lopez

Tadahito Iguchi.

I also got Brandon McCarthy and Joe Borchard in. Knock 2 off the list. :)

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
I got this Mark Buehrle yesterday. He is a 4 time All Star, has thrown a No-Hitter and a Perfect Game, and even saved game 3 of the '05 World Series. My Grandpa was at his Perfect Game and Buehrle is one of his favorites. I wish Mark was still on the Sox, but I wish him nothing but the best.

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
Here's a few new additions.

Ozzie Guillen was the manager of the Sox during the '05 World Series run. He played for the White Sox from 1985-1997 and was a 3 time All Star and managed the Sox from 2004-2011. He was also the Manager of the Year in 2005. Thanks for this IP autograph wwechampion619.

Shingo Takatsu played for the White Sox in 2004 and 2005. He had his best season in 2004, with a 2.31 ERA in 56 games, along with 19 saves.

Brian Anderson played for the Sox between 2005-2009. He led the MLB in fielding percentage in 2008. He has since converted to a pitcher but he hasn't made it back to the Big Leagues yet.

Last edited:

Whitesox27

Jul 29, 2013
Illinois
I got this Neal Cotts IP auto today. He went 4-0 appearing in 69 games, throwing 60.1 innings and compiling a 1.94 ERA in 2005. Cotts won the Setup Man of the Year Award. Cotts pitched in all four games of the World Series and was the winning pitcher Game 2. Thanks so much for the freebie crazybella8 and it's weird because Cotts is on the Rangers, the team the Sox are playing tonight.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Good luck with this! I am currently working on a similar project for the Rangers WS teams, especially 2010 since it was the first team to ever even win a playoff series for the Rangers