Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Panini Prestige Basketball info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

auburn35

Jan 14, 2009
I found the sell sheet and checklist for 2009 Panini Prestige Basketball.

2009 Sell Sheet
http://magazine-exchange.com/product_downloads/pdf/2009_Prestige_PIS.pdf

Checklist
http://magazine-exchange.com/product_downloads/ss/2009_Panini_Prestige_BK_Checklist.xls

I noticed that the Upper Deck exclusives (lebron, kobe, …) appear in a few insert sets that contain autograph and game used parallels. Although they are listed as possibilities, I doubt they will end up with autographs.

Also it looks like the 100 rookie card set is actual just 50 rookies with home and away jersey variations.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Since they have an NBA license, could Panini get an auto off the market, for example Kobe, and put it into a card with no issue?

I know that Kobe and guys have contracts that they will only sign with UD, but that doesn't mean another company can't take their auto, cut it, and put it into their own card. It's the same concept as Razor's Cuts and the like, but they would be able to feature the player's picture, name, etc because they carry the NBA license.

Does my reasoning turn to fact, or can somebody straighten me up?

auburn35

Jan 14, 2009
I would think Panini would have to purchase the autographs from Upper Deck, unless they wanted to go the cut signature route like you mentioned.
Having exclusive autographs would be the only reason to buy any of Upper Deck unlicensed product(s), so selling their exclusive players signatures wouldn’t make any business sense, unless UD doesn’t intend on making any basketball related products, licensed or not in the future.

Card Magnet said:
Since they have an NBA license, could Panini get an auto off the market, for example Kobe, and put it into a card with no issue?

I know that Kobe and guys have contracts that they will only sign with UD, but that doesn't mean another company can't take their auto, cut it, and put it into their own card. It's the same concept as Razor's Cuts and the like, but they would be able to feature the player's picture, name, etc because they carry the NBA license.

Does my reasoning turn to fact, or can somebody straighten me up?

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
Panini is doomed.

I can't imagine why they would ever think of highlighting the fact that they included Michael Redd, Kenny "Sky" Walker and Andre Kirilenko in subset(s).

Seriously.

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
Crash Davis said:
Panini is doomed.

I can't imagine why they would ever think of highlighting the fact that they included Michael Redd, Kenny "Sky" Walker and Andre Kirilenko in subset(s).

Seriously.

LOL 80-100 bucks to pull those guys, sounds like a good deal to me.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Crash Davis said:
Panini is doomed.

Seriously.
When I bust basketball, it's all about AK47 :?

Pannini should go back to stickers and soccer cards...

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Well Prestige should end up a mid to lower end product, so not surprised that it does not look amazing.

If they stick to the Donruss formula though, there may not be the amazing hits (and obviously no Jordan, Kobe, Lebron autos) that UD sells their products on and few of us ever pull, but there will be a ton more value in an average box than in a typical UD product.

Members online