Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2012, the year of format change: COMC vs FCB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Maybe I just use the sites differently than you guys do...

But I don't see anything worse about the new FCB or the new COMC.

COMC fees went up because they were processing too many super low-end items that they were losing money on.

COMC beckett values went away because Beckett won't license them the data at a reasonable price anymore.

Neither change had anything to do with the site redesign.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
My beef with COMC is their outXXXXINrageous shipping. I have 172 standard sized/mini cards waiting to be shipped to me. $42.25 for standard shipping with penny sleeves. How is that even reasonable?

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Kinda comparing apples to oranges?

FCB is a free message board with a bad@$$ free iPhone app. I am not sure why more people haven't jumped on this board since it launched. My personal theory is that the board is to prospect heavy and the only way to grow is to add more interest varied collectors. Sometimes I think members are to smarta-- for the good of the boards. Overall I visit FCB more than Blowout and have all but given up on Beckett and SCF.
We just need to get the trading going and showing off the collections and awesome cards I am sure our members have.

COMC seems like a cool idea never used it myself as I have no need for base or low end cards. I have browsed the site but never purchased. If its buggy and not user friendly it will change or go out of business simple as that.

By the way does the tap talk app make blowout similar to the FCB app? I always wonder how people reply to personal messages on there.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
also, this new site IS better

I don't care what anyone says :)

The upgrade simply had to happen and if I had it to do all over again I would still gladly do it. However I would have waited until I had most of the changes we needed ready before the switch. This is a VERY different site than it was after the change over.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't even remember what the old FCB layout looked like. All I remember is a day or two of slight inconvenience, then everything was great. I don't understand why some longtime members left.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
My beef with COMC is their outXXXXINrageous shipping. I have 172 standard sized/mini cards waiting to be shipped to me. $42.25 for standard shipping with penny sleeves. How is that even reasonable?

obamacare! ;)

Seriously, they have a very labor intensive operation. Doesn't surprise me they can't ship cards for about what it costs in postage and supplies to do so - read: reasonable shipping/handling charges.

I only go there when there is a card I can't find elsewhere or a card i want bad enough or soon enough that is cheaper to buy from COMC delivered than it is from ebay delivered.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I don't even remember what the old FCB layout looked like. All I remember is a day or two of slight inconvenience, then everything was great. I don't understand why some longtime members left.

Some people are crippled by change and although I think he's a great guy, Eric(TBP) is the poster child for it. Its all this time later and he still brings it up constantly. This site is better than the old FCB and I'm not sure that can even be debated anymore...

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
I applaud the masterminds of both sites - both changed when they needed to, and are no worse off for it in my opinion. I applaud the members here who keep this community alive and able to serve the interests of many different collectors/flippers/rippers. I think both sites are poised to have success in 2013, however they define it. I will be visiting both, that's for sure.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I was one of the people that left and am now back. I wasn't a fan of the switch because it seemed like each of the boards that I frequent (this, Blowout, SCF, and The Bench) all had a different style. I liked that each had their own identity. Then everyone changed at once. Also, I was also more at a point of selling, which really is impossible on here if you don't have the newest rookie or the high end gu/autos.

But this is by far the best forum for conversation and good people. So I'm back. :)

As for COMC, I was going to send a large amount of cards to them, but with additional fees and such, I didn't see that my $1 serial numbered cards would be profitable.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I love FCB. It is my most visited site. I have been here nearly 2 years now and I'm on here pretty much everyday. This new site is great, it is much better than the old format. The members on this site are second to none. This site should be the most popular sportscard site in all of the interwebs, it has to be pretty close. If this site ever turns into a blowout type place I will not be here. Just saying. Also the new COMC is ok with me.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I love FCB. It is my most visited site. I have been here nearly 2 years now and I'm on here pretty much everyday. This new site is great, it is much better than the old format. The members on this site are second to none. This site should be the most popular sportscard site in all of the interwebs, it has to be pretty close. If this site ever turns into a blowout type place I will not be here. Just saying. Also the new COMC is ok with me.

define blow out type place?

I personally admire what blow out does.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I think he is talking about the members of the site and the need to correct every thread if it does not conform to TOS.
If you think this forum is full of pricks take a day and visit blowhard forums.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I think he is talking about the members of the site and the need to correct every thread if it does not conform to TOS.
If you think this forum is full of pricks take a day and visit blowhard forums.

Yes this is what I mean. The people on Blowout are pathetic. They want to run around waving the TOS flag then go break the same rules. Also if someone has what is labeled as a dumb question everyone has to get their opinion of how stupid that member is. Those fourms can make collecting no fun. I am currently still collecting because I have FCB that I can go to and talk cards. The only place in town I can do that is the shop and the guy is not much of a talker and the people who go in are know it alls that don't like "kid" collectors. If people would get reasonable prices and expectations on cards for sale and to trade this site would be a great trading hub. But when you are trying to trade $50 eBay value and they want $200 eBay value back there's a problem there. The people here are kind and for the most part good people (online opinion of them) I see a ton of contests and stuff going on people giving away cards. It's what makes FCB great. I would love to see more members on here but if having less members means the discussions stay on topic and in focus maybe its a good thing. If this site turns into a blowout type fourm then it has lost all of its great aspects. Which by the way here I completely trust the mods to keep that from happening but still.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I will agree that BO is not very welcoming to new members. I don't mean the 21ccl kind either, I mean new collectors with limited knowledge all the way up to guys who've collected for decades. No its not everyone over there, but I would hope FCB does a great job welcoming new members and encouraging them to share regardless of what they collect

Members online

Latest posts