Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Lumberjack Bingo: CLOSED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
A new (and hopefully full) season is on the horizon, so that can only mean one thing...Lumberjack Bingo!

This season-long contest is open to all and is completely free.

However, we must have at least 20 contestants to make this worthwhile.

If interested, please copy/paste the signup list at the bottom of the 2nd post with your name in the first available slot.

THE DEADLINE FOR SIGNING UP IS SUNDAY, MARCH 28th.

EDIT: NO SIGNUPS SINCE MAR 11, SO CLOSING A DAY EARLY.

We're still a few weeks out, but there's a bit of light reading to acquaint or reacquaint yourself with the game.

If you have any questions whatsoever while reviewing the ruleset, let me know!

OVERVIEW

The 2021 MLB season is scheduled to start April 1st and conclude October 3rd.

Race your fellow lumberjacks to clear branches (complete levels) and ultimately harvest your tree (complete all levels) based on actual MLB regular season games.

Branch Bounties (prizes) are available to the first lumberjack to clear a given branch without using a chainsaw.

The Timber! Bounty (grand prize) is available to the first lumberjack to harvest their entire tree before the end of the regular season.

HOW TO PLAY

Each tree is 100% randomly generated, and is comprised of 12 branches (levels) and the trunk (final stage).

Branches consist of 1 to 7 scenarios. The trunk consists of 1 scenario.

Each scenario features an outcome from the 2021 season. Simply find an exact match for each scenario to clear the branch/trunk.

If you are the first person to complete all objectives on a branch without using a chainsaw you win the bounty for that branch! See the next section for details.

You must start with branch 1, and may only clear one branch at a time before moving down to the next branch.

Once a branch has been cleared, you may begin working on the next branch on the same day, but may not use an earlier date to clear it.

Unless otherwise specified, each scenario within a branch stands on its own and must be completed in a single game.

However, some branches require all scenarios to be completed in the same day. Those branches are clearly marked.

Please refer to the Tools of the Trade section below for important links to be used throughout the game.

CHAINSAWS

If you are having trouble clearing any of the 12 branches, you can ditch your axe in favor of a chainsaw for immediate completion.

No chainsaw is available for the trunk.

Each branch has 3 scenarios that will allow you to use your chainsaw.

These scenarios are located to the left of your tree. A chainsaw may be used for a given branch if:

1. The first team shown hits 5 or more home runs in a single game or

2. The second team shown strikes out 20 or more opponents in a single game or

3. The specific date shown in the far right column is met.

If the 1st chainsaw is used, you have automatically cleared your current branch and may start working on the next branch the same day.

However, if the 2nd chainsaw is used, you have automatically cleared both your current branch and the following branch. You may then start working on the 2nd branch down from your current branch the same day.

Example: if you are currently on branch 3, but qualify to use the 2nd chainsaw, you automatically jump to branch 5 on the same day.

***SUPER IMPORTANT NOTES***

1. Bounties cannot be claimed with a chainsaw. No shortcuts if you want the goods!

2. Bounties that remain unclaimed on the branch completion date expire and are permanently unavailable.

3. Once a chainsaw is used, that branch bounty is unavailable to everyone.

So, it's up to you if you want to sacrifice a bounty for everyone if you'd rather take advantage of the additional time as you make your way toward a more desirable branch bounty or the trunk itself to win the Timber! Bounty.

COMPLETING A BRANCH

If you complete a branch, please post your achievement in this thread, along with the date each scenario was completed or the chainsaw used.

It's very important to post your achievements; not only for others to verify if they'd like, but also to help me confirm a winner.

Otherwise, I'll post a reminder whenever possible when a branch's completion date (chainsaw #3) has been met so everyone can move on to the next branch.

HARVESTING YOUR TREE

Clearing the trunk is the final stage of the game before harvesting your tree.

Once you complete the objective shown in the trunk, congratulations! Your tree has been harvested. Please send me a PM with the date you completed the trunk.

The first to do so wins Lumberjack Bingo and the Timber! Bounty. See below.

BRANCH BOUNTIES

Each branch has a different tree-related theme with a potential bounty (prize) associated with that theme. The bottom left corner of your card gives you an idea of what's at stake. Beware though! Any use of a chainsaw, either by yourself or your opponent, invalidates that branch bounty, rendering it permanently unavailable to everyone.

TIMBER! BOUNTY

At the base of each tree is a random selection of 5 grand prizes. The winning lumberjack will send me a PM with their top choice. That prize will be sent to the winner.

Last edited:

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
...CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Please refer to the following links to help you clear branches and harvest your tree:

MLB.com must be used to verify all box scores.

Game Score is used for branch 3. (Link currently broken, but should be working once the regular season starts)

Bombs Away is used to verify the daily home run leaders if you have this scenario in branch 8.

Lights Out is used to verify the daily strikeout leaders if you have this scenario in branch 8.

Baseball-Reference is used to verify season totals for individual players in branches 11 and 12 (homeruns, strikeouts, WAR, etc...). Simply type the players name in the search box and locate the 2021 stat needed. For branch 12, you can find their WAR by scrolling down to the section titled "Player Value--Batting" or "Player Value--Pitching". In that section, you'll see a column labelled "WAR".

CLOUD NINE

Look, up in the left corner! It's a bird, it's a plane...it's your bonus game. Cloud Nine plays independently from your tree. If all 9 of your players shown combine for exactly 9 hits in a single day, you may be a winner! The first to claim by sending me a PM wins once I have confirmed.

All players must be in action on that day, and all games they play in must be counted (doubleheaders).

FAQ

1. What is the most important thing I need to know about playing Lumberjack Bingo?
The most important thing to remember is that each scenario must be an exact match to what is indicated, unless otherwise specified.

2. What am I trying to accomplish with "Initial Reaction" in Branch 1?
This scenario features the initials of 6 major league batters and/or pitchers. To clear this branch, simply find the number of players required to meet the criteria shown in a single day. Simple as that.

3. What is "Game Score" in Branch 2?
Game Score is numeric value used by ESPN to assess a starting pitcher's overall performance.
For the initiated, the formula is: 50 + 1* Outs + 2 * IP after the 4th + 1 * K - 2 * H - 4 * ER - 2 * Unearned Runs - 1*BB.
For the unitiated, it's a number. Higher is better than lower.

4. Okay, so Game Score is for starting pitchers. What if one of my teams plays a doubleheader? Can I count both toward my total?
In the event of a doubleheader, you may only use the higher of the two Game Scores for that team toward your overall combined total.

5. What do you mean by "Top Individual Batter" in Branch 7? The generally agreed best player on the team?
In Lumberjack Bingo, the Top Individual Batter refers to the player recording the single highest value in a single game for the scenario shown. Let's use the following scenario to illustrate:

Chi. White Sox
vs. Divisional Opp.
2+ Doubles

In order to cross this section off, you must have a White Sox batter record 2 or more doubles against an American League Central opponent (only Detroit, Kansas City, Cleveland, or Minnesota). However, if the scenario said "2 doubles", the single highest double total must be exactly 2, not 2 or more. Always look at the scenario carefully to see what is required before attempting to clear it.

6. Okay, I think I'm getting the hang of it. However, I have a "Lights Out" and/or "Bombs Away" scenario on Branch 8. Tell me more about that.
These scenarios refer to the entire league on a particular range of dates. Simply go to the appropriate link in the "Tools of the Trade" section above and find the combined number of home runs hit (Bombs Away) or number of pitchers who struck out 9+ batters (Lights Out) within the range of dates shown in your scenario.

7. Did I read the "Chainsaw" section right? I get no bounty for a branch when I use a chainsaw and I prevent everyone else from claiming it too? Seems harsh.
It is...and that's part of the strategy of the game. If the theme of the branch bounty doesn't interest you, why waste your time trying to clear the branch traditionally? On the other hand, you may endure a bit of fake backlash from an opponent who really had their heart set on winning a Jim Palmer bounty, and you stole that opportunity from them. Your call entirely.

SAMPLE GAME CARD

*The first branch (Initial Reaction) is cut off a bit.

It is supposed to say: Claim bounty with 3+ players having 3+ hits or 8+ strikeouts on the same day

Okay, enough rambling. It's time to sign up! Just copy/paste the list below with your name in the first available slot.

Good luck and sharpen those axes!

TREES

Last edited:

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Heck yeah...I loved this! I'm in!
Thank you for hosting yet another awesome contest. :)

SIGNUP

1. Letch77

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I'm in...

SIGNUP

1. Letch77
2. thelesquad

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
I'm in. Thanks for the contest!

SIGNUP

1. Letch77
2. thelesquad
3. Dazed

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
1. Letch77
2. thelesquad
3. Dazed
4. clarkzac
5. MrMet
6. Metallicalex777
7. Chippernate
8. Gwynn545

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
hopefully i will be around and have access long enough to be able to play again...

1. Letch77
2. thelesquad
3. Dazed
4. clarkzac
5. MrMet
6. Metallicalex777
7. Chippernate
8. Gwynn545
9. gamecockfanatic

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I'll give this a go, but will have to re-read the rules carefully now. I breezed through it and that is probably not a good idea more forward w/o another review.

Thank you for another great contest!

1. Letch77
2. thelesquad
3. Dazed
4. clarkzac
5. MrMet
6. Metallicalex777
7. Chippernate
8. Gwynn545
9. gamecockfanatic
10. mrmopar

spazmeister68

Mar 10, 2021
1. Letch77
2. thelesquad
3. Dazed
4. clarkzac
5. MrMet
6. Metallicalex777
7. Chippernate
8. Gwynn545
9. gamecockfanatic
10. mrmopar
11.spazmeister68

new member...claude sent me here...bench member....dont live here but will check in couple times a week..Im david

spazmeister68

Mar 10, 2021
claude informed me that I need to check in for at least 30 minutes a day during the bingo...so I will be lurking around a bit each day

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
oh, I don't think you need to invest anywhere near that much time.

checking your current branch/Cloud 9 should take no more than 10 minutes.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
oh, I don't think you need to invest anywhere near that much time.

checking your current branch/Cloud 9 should take no more than 10 minutes.
i actually told him about 5 to 10 minutes per day max...i told him the abc contest from a couple years ago took 15 to 20 minutes most days and the other bingo game took 5 minutes or so as well...hopefully we get enough people to make this thing go...cant believe - especially with some of the items you give away - there isnt a waiting list for this...

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
I was just going through the 2019 game thread and wanted to clarify a few things not in the ruleset above:

1.The first two chainsaw options can be called anytime they qualify, but can only be used starting the day you claim it.

This is to prevent “stockpiling” or “hoarding“ of chainsaws from earlier dates.

For example, if you achieve chainsaw #1 on May 1st, but do not claim it until June 1st, you can only move down a branch as of June 1st.

Backdating is not really in the spirit of the game.

2. For the 3rd chainsaw, the branch will automatically clear at the end of that day. That will give everyone one last chance to clear the branch traditionally.

3. For Cloud Nine, it says “all games must count”. However, if a player is on the IL or not even with the big league club at the time, they are exempt. However, if they were traded to another team, they do count. I only listed the team they started 2021 with for ease in finding their boxscore if you aren’t familiar with who they play for.

Okay, that should do it!

Here’s the 2019 thread. Fun to read through again.

Members online