Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2022 Hobby Goals!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I never set goals for my collection, but I'd like to say I've done a good job of already adding to my PC this year. Before, I'd be happy to pick up a few HOF autographs a year, as it is a small collection, so need quite a few. Well, I've already picked up 8 new ones for the PC, and upgraded 1 from a sticker autograph to an on card autograph, for a total of 9 new HOF autos in the PC. I've also picked up an 8x10, and 3 baseballs, all signed by HOFers this year.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I stopped participating in these, as it felt pointless for me personally. I have never really collected with a goal oriented focus and even when I tried, it didn't really do much. I do enjoy reading and seeing how others do though. Good luck to all and may your 2022 collecting season be fruitful.

With no specific goals in mind, I will (and always) continue to look for the unique and odd Steve Garvey stuff. I gave up my pursuit of everything new, because it has become a joke now. Artificially made rare cards + people with no concept of market value = stupid market. I still add a few new cards and manage to find a couple really neat, otherwise unknown Garvey oddball items each year.

I will also continue to try to keep up with the LA Dodger autographs. A few frustration points as they have brought up a number of homegrown talent without any pack certified autograph cards lately, which means I have to wait and see. Signing big name free agents like Turner, Scherzer and betts hasn't helped the pursuit either, although Betts is the only one that has remained out of my reach. I just can't pony up $100+ for this guy, despite the fact that he seems to be a solid player.

I have "retired" my organizing dreams for when I am actually retired. I don't think I'll ever make the time or tolerate the clutter while I am still employed daily. I had made extremely great progress in sorting out box after box after box of singles into A-Z. I think 99% of my single cards are sorted that way now. Just need to merge them together now. Then, I will probably start the slow process of moving the lest liked stuff, holding my favorite stuff as long as it seems reasonable to do so. if I eventually croak with a select pile of quality cards still in my possession, then I hope my sons appreciate and enjoy either saving them or selling them.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I've toyed around with several idea the past couple years and how I might enjoy a team collection more than just my Red Sox HOF box I have. I think I've finally come up with something that works.
I'm going to pick a player for each year I have been alive and I'm going to "super collect" that year. I will not duplicate players and they must have been on the roster for the year I work on. For example I was born in 1982, my first player that I will attempt to complete the yearly checklist with is going to be Jerry Remy.
My early list will be:
82 Remy
83 Bob Stanley
84 Rich Gedman
85 Oil Can Boyd
I'm not looking to steamroll through this but I think with limited releases in most years I can do the first 8 years 82-89 with probably 95% completion this year. I'll update my list when I figure out the players.

MrMet2.0

Oct 28, 2021
Here
I've toyed around with several idea the past couple years and how I might enjoy a team collection more than just my Red Sox HOF box I have. I think I've finally come up with something that works.
I'm going to pick a player for each year I have been alive and I'm going to "super collect" that year. I will not duplicate players and they must have been on the roster for the year I work on. For example I was born in 1982, my first player that I will attempt to complete the yearly checklist with is going to be Jerry Remy.
My early list will be:
82 Remy
83 Bob Stanley
84 Rich Gedman
85 Oil Can Boyd
I'm not looking to steamroll through this but I think with limited releases in most years I can do the first 8 years 82-89 with probably 95% completion this year. I'll update my list when I figure out the players.

Buckner should be ‘86….sorry, I had to…lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
We are just past the first quarter pole on the year, thought I'd start a progress round up. For my Red Sox by the year super collector progress I've made a real good dent in the 80s I've decided to go with Jerry Remy 82, Bob Stanley 83, Rich Gedman 84, Dennis Oil Can Boyd 85, Dwight Evans 86, Mike Greenwell 87, Ellis Burks 88 and Jody Reed 89. Using a very basic checklist that's 119 cards in total, I've got 83 right now. I'll probably be able to do another sports lots order for the bulk of the remainder then have to start buying the individuals.
I started to plan out my players for the 90s I am going with Jeff Suppan for 1996 and I knocked off his mirror gold already. Keep your eyes peeled for the 98 Tom Gordon precious metal gems for me!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
That's a cool idea for a collection. Nice strategy with Suppan in 1996...who will be 1997?
We are just past the first quarter pole on the year, thought I'd start a progress round up. For my Red Sox by the year super collector progress I've made a real good dent in the 80s I've decided to go with Jerry Remy 82, Bob Stanley 83, Rich Gedman 84, Dennis Oil Can Boyd 85, Dwight Evans 86, Mike Greenwell 87, Ellis Burks 88 and Jody Reed 89. Using a very basic checklist that's 119 cards in total, I've got 83 right now. I'll probably be able to do another sports lots order for the bulk of the remainder then have to start buying the individuals.
I started to plan out my players for the 90s I am going with Jeff Suppan for 1996 and I knocked off his mirror gold already. Keep your eyes peeled for the 98 Tom Gordon precious metal gems for me!

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
That's a cool idea for a collection. Nice strategy with Suppan in 1996...who will be 1997?
Suppan was semi on purpose, I figured if I was gonna get most/all I could i should make 96 reasonable, but also he was one of the first BIG prospects I remember, before that new people just showed up, I wasn't super aware of people in the minors, knew it was a thing but didn't pay attention, Suppan and to some degree Trot Nixon were the first guys to open that door for me.
1997 isn't finalized but I'm thinking it's going to be Jeff Frye, really enjoyed his time with the Sox and I'd like to get him in somewhere.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Suppan was semi on purpose, I figured if I was gonna get most/all I could i should make 96 reasonable, but also he was one of the first BIG prospects I remember, before that new people just showed up, I wasn't super aware of people in the minors, knew it was a thing but didn't pay attention, Suppan and to some degree Trot Nixon were the first guys to open that door for me.
1997 isn't finalized but I'm thinking it's going to be Jeff Frye, really enjoyed his time with the Sox and I'd like to get him in somewhere.
If you decide on Jeff hit me up. I can fill your whole list for 1997 other than the 1997 Red Sox Score Premier which I have never seen and maybe the Ultra Platinum Edition but I think have a couple of those too.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Honestly probably add 1 card from my needs list. It gets harder the closer you get seeing if you exclude the 1 of 1’s and the 1998 Topps Tek Diffractors I am down to 21 cards from my 1992 to 1998 Derek Jeter I Beckett needs list. Most are either never seen or rarely seen so I am just saving in hopes to get one of the bigger ticket cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Just checking in at the 2/3 mark. How has your progress been going?

Mixed bag for me:

1. VINTAGE TOPPS HOF PITCHER RUN: 1952-1981

Had only 9 when I posted my goal on page 1. Hoped to add 10-15 more in 2022, but managed 24 so far and expanded the project to all Topps era HOF pitchers (40).

7 to go!

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregis...s-hall-fame-pitchers-1952-present/album/21532

2. JIMMIE FOXX GRADED CARD + AUTO

Completely shut out. Came close a few times, but it just wasn’t meant to be. Will likely be a top 2023 goal for me.

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
I've been toying with the idea of getting players from the 1986 Mets World Series team to sign their 1986 Topps Tiffany cards. I have three so far before the project got derailed but I don't want to spend more than it is worth either. Decisions, decisions. :)

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
2022 Goals Update 8/26/22
Jeff Frye Goals:

Add one of these. None of them are easy.
1997 Red Sox Score Premier #10
1998 Stadium Club First Day Issue #281 SER# /200
1999 Fleer Tradition Starting 9 #404 SER# /9
1999 Boston Red Sox Team Issued Photocards #NNO
2000 Boston Red Sox Team Issued Photocards #NNO
2017 Texas Rangers Team Issued Alumni Alley #NNO
Add 10 signed base cards.
I've managed to add 15 signed base cards this year but I haven't seen any of the others sadly.

Ryan Helsley Goals:

Add five of these. Add any 2022 issues if there are any.
2015 Bowman Draft Red #189 SER# /5
2015 Bowman Chrome Draft Red Refractors #189 SER# /5

2017 Topps Heritage Minors 5×7 #18 SER# /49
2017 Topps Heritage Minors 5×7 Gold #18 SER# /10
2018 Bowman Chrome Prospects Red Shimmer Autograph SER# /5
2019 Bowman Prospects Red #BP121 SER# /5
2019 Topps Update 5×7 #US248 /49
2019 Topps Update Memorial Day Camo #US248 SER# /25
2019 Topps Heritage Reverse Stock #717 Print Run of 5
This list got much shorter last year so hopefully I can do as well on it again this year. I've already added one from this list this month so four to go. Hopefully he'll have some 2022 issues so I'm not left chasing only stuff that is /5 or less.

Add 3 1/1s.
2015 Bowman Draft Metallic #189 SER# 1/1
2015 Bowman Chrome Draft Superfractors #189 SER# 1/1
2017 Topps Heritage Minors Orange #18 SER# 1/1
2018 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs Black Mojo Refractors #CPARH SER# 1/1
2018 Topps Bowman Holiday Autographs Gold Festive #THRH SER# 1/1
2019 Bowman Prospects Platinum #BP121 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Update Platinum #US248 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Update ’84 Topps Autographs Platinum #84ARH SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Update Legacy of Autographs Platinum #LBARH SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Chrome Update Autograph Superfractors #CUARH SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Gallery Red #126 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Gallery Red Autographs #126 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Transcendent VIP Party ’19 Bowman Preview Prospects #BP121 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps On Demand Mini Platinum US248 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Walmart Holiday Snowflake Gold Metallic #HW115 SER# 1/1
2020 Prizm Game Ball Graphs #18 Gold Vinyl 1/1
2020 Topps Total Wave Gold 1/1
I added 5 in 2021. Maybe I can do the same this year. Edit: 1 down

Add 3 Printing Plates.
2015 Bowman Draft Printing Plates Black #189 SER# 1/1
2015 Bowman Draft Printing Plates Cyan #189 SER# 1/1
2015 Bowman Draft Printing Plates Magenta #189 SER# 1/1
2015 Bowman Draft Printing Plates Yellow #189 SER# 1/1
2015 Bowman Chrome Draft Printing Plates Black #189 SER# 1/1
2015 Bowman Chrome Draft Printing Plates Cyan #189 SER# / 1/1
2015 Bowman Chrome Draft Printing Plates Magenta #189 SER# 1/1
2015 Bowman Chrome Draft Printing Plates Yellow #189 SER# 1/1
2018 Bowman Chrome Prospects Autographs #CPA-RH Black 1/1
2018 Bowman Chrome Prospects Autographs #CPA-RH Magenta 1/1
2018 Bowman Chrome Prospects Autographs #CPA-RH Yellow 1/1
2019 Bowman Prospects Printing Plates Black #BP121 SER# 1/1
2019 Bowman Prospects Printing Plates Magenta #BP121 SER# 1/1
2019 Bowman Prospects Printing Plates Yellow #BP121 SER# 1/1
2019 Bowman Chrome Prospects Printing Plates Black #BCP121 SER# 1/1
2019 Bowman Chrome Prospects Printing Plates Cyan #BCP121 SER# 1/1
2019 Bowman Chrome Prospects Printing Plates Magenta #BCP121 SER# 1/1
2019 Bowman Chrome Prospects Printing Plates Yellow #BCP121 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Update Printing Plates Black #US248 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Update Printing Plates Cyan #US248 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Update Printing Plates Yellow #US248 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Chrome Update Printing Plates Black #25 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Chrome Update Printing Plates Cyan #25 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Chrome Update Printing Plates Magenta #25 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Chrome Update Printing Plates Yellow #25 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Gallery Printing Plates Black #126 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Gallery Printing Plates Cyan #126 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Gallery Printing Plates Magenta #126 SER# 1/1
2019 Topps Gallery Printing Plates Yellow #126 SER# 1/1
They don't show up very often but I'll give it a shot.
I have added three Reds /5, including the 2018 Bowman Chrome Red Shimmer Auto /5 that completed that rainbow, the 2020 Prizm Game Ball Graphs Gold Vinyl 1/1, and a 1/1 2019 Gallery Cyan printing plate so far this year. The best news though is with Ryan's promotion to Closer he's in 2022 Topps 206 Wave 3 and I'm hoping he'll be in 2022 Topps Update or other issues (really hoping for Ginter since it's my favorite). That'll give me more cards to chase either way.

Autograph Set Goals:

1998 Donruss Significant Signatures Master Set:
George Brett Black Ink
Nolan Ryan Unsigned Redemption
Ozzie Smith Unsigned Redemption
Billy Williams Blue Ink Unstamped
I did finish the 1998 Donruss Significant Signatures Master set earlier this year other than the unused redemptions which no one ever sees. I took the set with me to a show in July to show a dealer friend and long story short he made me an offer that I couldn't refuse for it. I'm now up to 16/32 cards rebuilding it because I regretted selling it as soon as I got home even though I made a nice profit.

2005 Donruss Signature Series Milestone Marks Tier 3:
Duke Snider
Nolan Ryan
Gaylord Perry
Johnny Bench
Stan Musial
I've made zero progress on this set. I just haven't had any inclination to try to track them down. I already have autos of all the guys in the set in other sets so this one is probably off the list going forward.

General Autograph Collection Goals:

Add 20 N*gro League autographs to my collection. - I'm actually pretty close to being done with this one already. I've got 15 unique autos in route to me right now. I'd really like to add a Turkey Stearnes auto this year.

Downsize my Cardinals Autograph collection - I actually started this a couple weeks ago when I set up at a show but I've come to the conclusion that I don't actually need six Skip Schumaker autos or nine Breyic Valera Chrome autos whether they were a buck or not.
I've easily added 50 N*gro League autos to my collection this year and I'm in the process of a acquiring one of the biggest pieces I'll likely ever own in a Josh Gibson auto. I wanted a Turkey Stearnes this year but Gibson will have to do.

I've sold three 3,200 count boxes full of Cardinals autos so far this year so I'm going to call this one complete even though I could still thin some more. I've added some absolutely fantastic autos to the collection as well that I didn't have so all in all happy here.

Here's where my goals went off the rails. I bought a 2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Autographs Buck O'Neill because it was the only pack issued Buck auto I didn't have and the set hooked me. It's 95 cards and once all my current purchases get here in the mail I'll be up to 22/95. The Willie Mays SP /100 will probably always be out of my price range but I'll do my best to build the rest. Something to add to the 2023 Goals list I guess.

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Update;

Goals;
Organize sets I'm working on-1963 Fleer, 1963 Topps, 1974 Topps, 1989 Upper Deck, 1992 Bowman, and 2012 Heritage.

I put 1963 Topps & Fleer in top loaders. I still need to write down #s I have, so I can trade for what I need
I put 74 Topps in Top loaders and wrote down need list. I put doubles to side. I still need to write down what doubles I have to trade for what I need.
2012 Heritage is in covered binders. I have need list. I haven't Traded for any cards for this set in awhile.

1989 UD & 1992 Bowman I decided to put aside for now. Still going to look for 92 Bowman Dodgers I need.

Obtain more 1988 & 2020 World Series cards
I haven't Traded for any lately, but still looking.

Find Ron Cey and Bill Russell Rookie cards-two of the four Dodger players I grew up watching

I now have rookie cards of Garvey, Cey, Lopes, Russell, but still need Cey's 1973 T with Mike Schmidt.

Obtain 1981 Topps Traded Fernando Valenzuela rookie card-Completed

Obtain 2008 Topps Traded Clayton Kershaw rookie card-Still working on.

Obtain 1980 Topps Magic Johnson rookie card-I have one. I want the card with Bird & Dr. J

New Goal-Collect Garvey, Cey, Lopes, Russell-Rookie cards to 1982

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
My hobby goals:

1. Get all my non-PC items sorted and prepared to sell (FB and COMC).
2. Prep a few dozen cards for PSA submission
3. Sell off the parts of my Will Clark and Eddie Murray collections that aren't interesting to me anymore
4. Open 2022 Topps with my 7 year old son
5. Add to my Darin Erstad, Bucky Jacobsen, Stacey Augmon, and Aaron Kurcz collections
6. Add another GU jersey, GU bat, other GU item from any players above
7. Enjoy the hobby more

1. About 90% finished. Need a Saturday without any dad / honey do list stuff and I can wrap it up.
2. Getting closer. Trying to sort out what I am willing to pay for grading and whittle my list of submissions down
3. Made a dent in this so far. Mostly big raw Murray and graded Clark.
4. Sorta gave up on this one early on as we just couldn't find any and our local shop sucks.
5. Landed a few tougher Erstad cards but not a lot of quantity. Not finding any new Bucky or Kurcz cards really. They're both more obscure players and far past their MLB card issue days. Added about 50 Augmon's earlier this year but need to order, sleeve and cross off the checklist. Another Saturday project.
6. Finished this one about a month ago. Landed a Rangers home jersey for Will Clark. Looks great!
7. I'm there and on my own terms. It's been a welcome escape this year.

Members online

Latest posts