Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2023 Hobby Goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
1. Get to 3000 unique Rocket cards. (Right around 2900 right now)
2. Add 10 sq ft of display shelving to the Rocket display.
3. Add a purple crusade at a price equal to or lower than the 1 I missed that vintagesnowmobiles last second swiped from me in July, or via trade.
4. Get Clemens/Nolan dual GU jersey card signed by both to be a unique one that nobody else has.
So, got over 3400. Win!

Added 50 sq ft! Soon to show off in a video for Super Collector's Unite Group. Win!

Added the Purple, ty @jeffv96masters

No dice on the dual auto. Had one set up,figured it was unique, then the same card showed up hand signed on ebay a few months ago. Need a better idea!

Bonus goal met, grabbed the Spx Grand Finale grail I had basically given up on.

It was a good year, Tater.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I know its only the beginning of nevember but feel I can update this now without much changing.

*subject to change as I think about them more in the next few days*

1: add 3 cards off my Sweet Spot collection needs

I added a few. Mid year I decided I simply have too much stuff lying around and am in the act of selling off a ton of stuff. Including my 2002 classic, 2003 classic, 2004 classic and 2009 classic sweet spot signatures.
Still looking for a few but here are a couple I've added new this year and not replacements

full.jpg
full.jpg
full.jpg

2: continue to sell unwanted/needed cards. Essentially eliminate 1- 5 row box of cards and the sales piles I've accumulated over the last 4 years as "investment" pieces.

I've sold or in the process of selling the equivalent of a 5- row and a 2 row shoe box. Put a ✔️ on that one.

A few more specific goals:
3: Add the 2015 national treasures Ken Griffey jr game ball signature
Have not seen one listed in over a year. So ☹️

4: Add a few more Griffey 2001-2010 gold refractors. Currently need **didn't realize topps spazzed out in the late 2000's and messed up thier color scheme. So I went with the lowest variation not /25 or less**

✔️ 2001 Topps
2002 bowman
2004 bowman
✔️2005 topps (no gold, so black)
✔️2005 bowman
✔️2006 topps (no gold, red /99)
2007 topps (no gold, red)
✔️2008 topps (no gold, copper)
✔️2009 topps
✔️2010 bowman
2010 topps

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
My hobby goals this year, and will bleed into next year, are to obtain single autos/patches/gu cards of players I enjoy and love. This doesn't just mean baseball, but all sports. I was able to land a Wayne Gretzky auto last month. I will start updating pics of my pick ups. My goal is to add a card/player each month (that's what I can afford on a teacher salary). That way can build the collection I want with cards that are appealing to me. I am loving my collection so far.

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
It’s the end of 2023-10 more days
Looking at what I have accomplished.

I organized my 1974 Topps(put in TCDB)
-Still need to organize 1963 Topps & Fleer and put in TCDB.
-Put 2012 Heritage in TCDB
-Obtain more 1988 & 2020 World Series cards
-Still working on this

Find Ron Cey and Bill Russell Rookie cards-two of the four Dodger players I grew up watching
-Accomplished this from Facebook groups purchase
-Still need Mike Schmidt/Ron Cey rc in low grade
Obtain 1981 Topps Traded Fernando Valenzuela rookie card
-Accomplished

Obtain 2008 Topps Traded Clayton Kershaw rookie card
-Working on it

Obtain 1980 Topps Magic Johnson rookie card
-Accomplished -one of lesser card.

2023 Goals:
-Finish the 1974 Topps set-Still need some cards, but about 80-90% done
-Finish the 2012 Heritage set- I need Mike Trout card(Key card)
-Trade or Buy more 1963 Topps & Fleer
I have added to both.
-Obtain more Kobe & Magic cards-Working on it
-Obtain more Kershaw rookie card-Working on it-Need 2008 Topps Update
-Finish Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, Dave Lopes, Bill Russell run-Their rookie cards to 1982. (Topps, Donruss, and Fleer)-Close to finishing
**Added 3/11/23 Obtain all of 1981 Topps All Star cards for project- I have 1980 All Star ballot unused. Game was at Dodger Stadium. I want to display cards with program, ticket,pins, and scorecard-I have been working on it.

Last edited: December 21, 2023

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
1) Yeah, still at it. They trickle in, in dribs and drabs. But whether it's a card numbered to 25 or less from the early 2000's, or a parallel of a cameo (yeah I'm one of those guys), it always puts some pep in my step.

2) I got the 1997 Totally Certified Platinum Gold /30, and later the 2003 Leaf Select Certified Mirror Black Auto /1. I'm more than happy with that kind of pace for a calendar year.

3) For 2023 I have 23 of 233 possible issues. And those are almost all the 2023 Donruss parallels, which I decided to chase for no good reason. Pretty happy with the restraint I'm showing there. Makes up for the occasional splurges on other stuff I want more.

Pretty much the same for me...

1) Continue filling in the gaps in the ol' collection.

2) Land a white whale. Land two white whales!

3) Continue NOT buying new issues.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
It’s the end of 2023-10 more days
Looking at what I have accomplished.

I organized my 1974 Topps(put in TCDB)
-Still need to organize 1963 Topps & Fleer and put in TCDB.
-Put 2012 Heritage in TCDB
-Obtain more 1988 & 2020 World Series cards
-Still working on this

Find Ron Cey and Bill Russell Rookie cards-two of the four Dodger players I grew up watching
-Accomplished this from Facebook groups purchase
-Still need Mike Schmidt/Ron Cey rc in low grade
Obtain 1981 Topps Traded Fernando Valenzuela rookie card
-Accomplished

Obtain 2008 Topps Traded Clayton Kershaw rookie card
-Working on it

Obtain 1980 Topps Magic Johnson rookie card
-Accomplished -one of lesser card.

2023 Goals:
-Finish the 1974 Topps set-Still need some cards, but about 80-90% done
-Finish the 2012 Heritage set- I need Mike Trout card(Key card)
-Trade or Buy more 1963 Topps & Fleer
I have added to both.
-Obtain more Kobe & Magic cards-Working on it
-Obtain more Kershaw rookie card-Working on it-Need 2008 Topps Update
-Finish Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, Dave Lopes, Bill Russell run-Their rookie cards to 1982. (Topps, Donruss, and Fleer)-Close to finishing
**Added 3/11/23 Obtain all of 1981 Topps All Star cards for project- I have 1980 All Star ballot unused. Game was at Dodger Stadium. I want to display cards with program, ticket,pins, and scorecard-I have been working on it.

Last edited: December 21, 2023
Pretty sure I have a couple 2012 heritage trout cards. Do you dups from the 74 set. I have a set I'm working on too. Mainly need hof/stars yet.

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Pretty sure I have a couple 2012 heritage trout cards. Do you dups from the 74 set. I have a set I'm working on too. Mainly need hof/stars yet.
Yes,
I have Steve Carlton, Phil Niekro, and some other stars. I’m out of town right now, but I can look when I get home. I appreciate your offer

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Setting a modest goal to pick up about 52 cards over the year, one per week. Spend more time reading sports books, comics and organize what I already own. Have a pile of books and comics yet to be opened and cards waiting to be sorted.

Collecting
1. Paul O'Neill -- add 25 cards. Completed! Mostly smaller pickups, a majority being Tek patterns.
2. Yankees Topps/Heritage -- 10 vintage, 10 SSPs Added 10 vintage commons, but zero SSPs.
3. Autographs -- 5 cards Completed, did well here.
4. Non-Sports -- 2 autos or comics Completed, probably surpassed this goal

Organizing

1. Complete my office, shelves, and displays. Completed the office room, finished painting, flooring and shelving this year. Now just have boxes of cards to organize.
2. Continue to sell/trade to fund purchases. Offset a lot, but not all, of my purchases with sales. Have a ton of things to list, need to thin out my trade box again.
3. Streamline my spreadsheet/site. Not much progress here. Need to work on this.
4. Update searches for vintage needs. Some progress here.

No major pick ups for vintage and O'Neill needs this year, unless that changes in the next week. I met my targets, but it was by crossing off a lot of easier needs for those collections.
Was able to add a few big rookies and 1/1 this year. Attended about 5-6 local shows which was a lot of fun.
Didn't add modern Yankee needs, have made zero progress for 2018-present for Heritage/Topps sets, I feel these should be easy to pick up in one swoop. I haven't even compiled checklists yet.

chippernate

Crack down pc focus to Acuña, Harris II and mosaic rainbows
Get back into vintage
Get more into game used memorabilia
Budget
Collect what I like
Cut down PC to pretty much just Acuña and HOFers
Started back into vintage in October, got most of the T206 and 53 Topps Braves team sets completed
Picked up multiple game used jerseys and balls this year, bat and lineup cards

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
For the most part my goals have not changed in quite a few years as I found areas of the hobby I really enjoy. 2023 looks similar to previous years though I have added a few other areas of focus and tweaked some of my primary areas.

1) Jackie Robinson signed baseball from his time in the ***** Leagues. There was a team ball from the team that went to Venezuela in 1945 that sold at Christie's a few year back. Would love to find where that one or similar. This remains my #1

No success on the Jackie ***** League ball
2) ) I collect integration pieces in general and love finding contracts, but there is one other specific item I would love to pick up, and that's a ticket from Jackie Robinson's 1st Minor League game. They are rare and super expensive, though not as expensive as his Debut with the Dodgers so it may be possible.
No success on the Jackie Minor league debut ticket. At this point I imagine it would be beyond any reasonable budget.

3) Looking to find at least one contract from someone associated with Integration. Two years ago I was able to acquire Don Newcombe's 1946 Nashua Dodgers contract. I'd love to find his 1946 Danville Dodgers contract if such a thing even exists. (He and Campanella signed with Danville, who reported that they were not ready to integrate, and they re-signed to play in Nashua.)
No success on the contract

4) Find at least 1 significant lineup card collection (happy to pay a finder's fee for anyone who connects me to someone and a deal is made). Still love all the research involved there.
I have not bought any enormous collections this year but did buy:
  • Collection of 1999 Mariners lineup cards with many Griffey HR's and other interesting games
  • Collection of roughly 30 lineup cards from the mid-1980's which included Billy Martin's final career win as a manager, and Cal Ripken Sr's 2nd to last game

5) Find more lineup cards from significant games. It's been over a year since I acquired a World Series lineup card. Also always looking for debuts, milestones and vintage lineup cards.
Was able to find some nice lineup cards this year:
  • Carl Yastzemski's final career HR Red Sox dugout
  • 1951 Yankees lineup card with rookie Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio in his final season
  • 2014 All-Star Game AL lineup card
  • 1930's lineup cards from the Reds and Cardinals
  • First night game in Cubs history

6) I have narrowed my WWII-baseball focus to a number of areas: Baseball played in Europe, the All Star Series that were played, and anything related to ***** League players who fought in WWII. In particular, I would still love to find a WWII-related Larry Doby item among other WWII-baseball items.
No luck on Doby but I did have one enormous success here which I posted about in the pickup threads.

In September 1945 the soldiers held a GI World Series (following a playoff-style tournament) in Nurmberg at Soldier field. This was hugely significant both because of the location, and also because the series was integrated, with ***** League HOFers Leon Day and Willard Brown playing for the winning OISE team. The program itself is incredibly rare and until recently, I don't believe anyone I know who collects this area had ever seen a scored copy. One showed up recently and I was able to complete a deal. Even better, the game was pitched and won by Leon Day!

7) Would love to pick up some more barnstorming programs and other barnstorming-related items. Barnstorming games were maybe the first place that fans could see African American players playing against MLB players. So many big names toured including Ruth and Gehrig in their time, Jackie Robinson, Musial and so many others. Incredible and fascinating history tied to the tours.
I had two significant successes in this area recently:
  • 1951 Jackie Robinson All-Stars Program. The 1949 and 1953 programs seems to be a bit easier to find (although if any shows up in a calendar year that's a lot), but I had never been able to win a 1951 program. Was really excited to this year
  • 1946 Jackie Robinson All-Stars signed sheet - A paper signed by Jackie Robinson along with ***** League players was listed at an auction house. The most significant other name was Lloyd Pepper Bassett who was a great, great ***** League player. In doing research I was able to determine that the signed sheet was from the 1946 JR All-Stars, which was the first season that Jackie headed a team.

8) Hoping to find the remaining tickets from 9/11 I don't have, at least 1 ticket from a game that Jackie Robinson played football at UCLA (1939 and 1940), a Dec 7 1941 ticket (Pearl Harbor)
Was able to acquire a Diamondbacks ticket from 9/11.

No success on tickets from 1939-1940 UCLA or Pearl Harbor, but I did purchase 2 pictures of Jackie at UCLA.

9) I have started to slowly pursue the 2000 Fleer Greats of the Game Autograph set, and continue to try and find vintage GU patch cards of the biggest names (Jackie Robinson, Gehrig, Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio etc). May expand that to other vintage players like Campanella, Mays, Aaron etc.

I acquired quite a few 2000 Fleer GOTG auto's and a Jackie patch, along with quite a few GU cards early in the year.

---

Overall I was able to acquire some really nice items, though it has been a very challenging year on the personal side, and I've been looking to sell of items that I am not as attached to which I hope will enable me to get through some difficult circumstances while being able to keep the items that I really love owning.

Over the years I've been blessed with the expendable income to pursue some really cool items, and even as I have had to let some items go, I am trying to not forget how blessed I have been and continue to be in many areas. The hobby has been a refuge for me at different stages in my life, and continues to be so at this point, and has also provided some financial relief recently.

I hope everyone's year ends well and 2024 is a wonderful year in the hobby and more importantly, for your families, your health, income etc.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Continue selling off my non-PC inventory.

Got a bunch to post on the auction site.

Then a ton to send to and list on COMC.

Once that stuff’s listed then I go back to just ripping wax once in a while…

Still would love to grab a Patrick Stewart/William Shatner dual auto for a reasonable price. Was $200ish 3 years ago but now about 5-6 times that online…😖
1 out of 3 ain’t bad!

At least I did finally get all my eBay stuff listed…

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
1. Add 4 Hassan T202 cards

2. Continue to look for a Frank Chance B-18 Blanket with yellow pennants - SP so will be tough

3. Continue to look for T209 Contentnea Roanoke players

4. Make it to 1700 different Yankee autographs

5. Add another 1961 MVP autographed card

6. Keep reducing some of my autograph cards.....started about 4 months ago

7. Get more in person autographs at ballparks this year.
1. Got 6
2. Still looking!!!
3. Still looking!!!
4. Only got to 1379....not too many that I still need.
5. Forgot to do this one!
6. Really did a nice job of reducing cards, except that I started adding on new ones!
7. Did a great job on this one.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I had a realization recently that my actual hobby is data entry. I compile trading card checklists to post to TCDB. I research my family to plug the data into software and websites. I research wrestling to post the results on forums and websites. It all boils down to gathering information to populate some database somewhere.

So my main hobby goal is just to clear the backlog of missing BBM and Epoch sets from 2007-2022 over at TCDB and to start posting the various B.League, J.League, volleyball, horse racing and whatever other Japanese sets I can track down to add to TCDB's database.
Mission accomplished, I think. I kept up with all of the BBM and Epoch releases. I started working through the back catalog of B.League, J.League and golf sets and at least got the last 3 years of each added. I found that anything before 2019 is becoming increasingly difficult to find checklists for, especially for inserts and parallels.

CardBoredom

Nov 21, 2021
Virginia
2023 Hobby Goals Report Card:
  1. Invite some card collecting neighbors to inaugurate a new deck with drinks and the opening of some sort of 1990s wax box. The deck didn't near completion until this month, but the neighbors and I hung out anyway.
  2. Go to at least two large card shows. Attended exactly two shows.
  3. Get to 90% completion on the 1952 Topps low-number set and 75% overall. Fully complete at least one series in the process. I completed the second series but didn't come close to the other completion numbers.
  4. Pick up at least four 1949 Leaf cards in attractive condition. Ended up with a dozen '49 Leaf cards!
  5. Get closer to completing the 1993 Finest Refractor set - Cut the number of missing cards (8) in half. Big progress - knocked 6 cards off the want list leaving only 2 to go.
  6. Get at least one card closer to completing the 1991 Donruss Elite set. Completely struck out here. No additions.
  7. Add another one of the 2018 Topps Archives Sandlot autographs. None added
  8. Set a new annual record for miles traveled by my wallet card. Big time win here. It will be a while before I have the opportunity top this one.

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
Hi,
I have these two so far. Sorry I took awhile. Plumbing problems at my townhouse

Attachments

• IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 4