Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

3 box break Leaf Masterworks..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
So I decided to grab a few boxes of this.. Here are the cards..
(not in any order)

cliff.jpg

dominique.jpg

olga.jpg

theismann.jpg

robert-parish.jpg

ric-flair.jpg

whitey.jpg

canseco.jpg

rickey-henderson.jpg

Fun rip once again..

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
As I mentioned in the MT a little earlier this morning, I think the Jose Canseco is the best looking card of the bunch, looks very good in my opinion. If I was a Canseco collector I would be proud to own that card. On the other hand I don't understand why the Rickey Henderson artist did not put a logo on that card with the free reign that the artist had over the design of these cards.

jrosales

Mar 23, 2013
Thanks for the compliments guys! I did indeed use stippling to render Canseco's likeness. In fact, I used stippling for all 100 cards I did for this release (stippling is my preferred method of artwork).

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
The Canseco is a great card. Some look really generic though for an all 1/1 release.

The Rick Flair looks like someone else to me...lol

Bobby Heenan maybe?

Last edited:

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
The Canseco is a great card. Some look really generic though for an all 1/1 release.

The Rick Flair looks like someone else to me...lol

Bobby Heenan maybe?

I agree, if I was doing a Ric Flair for a 1/1 release product it wold have been in a robe in the middle of the ring, but that's just me and I am no artist.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I agree, if I was doing a Ric Flair for a 1/1 release product it wold have been in a robe in the middle of the ring, but that's just me and I am no artist.

Keep in mind that it's a 1/1 because of the artwork, not because it's the only Ric Flair in the set. There could very well be a drawing of Flair as you described in this set.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Yeah, I thought it was Bobby the Brain Heenan until I looked at the comments. I don't recall Flair ever looking like that (and as good as the Henderson likeness is, I'm wondering if the photo wasn't misidentified).

Last edited:

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Did they have to make Rickey look so old?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Rickey looks almost like Willie Mays and I'm not quite sure Canseco looks like Canseco on his card [no offense to the sketch artist].

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Canseco is a great pull with some hard core collectors of his stuff but not totally on board with the look of the actual card

I think the Henderson looks odd but think that was a good pull for an auto

Congrats!

jrosales

Mar 23, 2013
I'm not quite sure Canseco looks like Canseco on his card [no offense to the sketch artist].

None taken :)

Canseco is a great pull with some hard core collectors of his stuff but not totally on board with the look of the actual card

I admit I took a little bit of a gamble with the layout.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Thanks for the compliments guys! I did indeed use stippling to render Canseco's likeness. In fact, I used stippling for all 100 cards I did for this release (stippling is my preferred method of artwork).

I am bidding on your commission sketch auction on eBay, good luck to me! Can I ask how you selected the images you used to draw those 100 cards? Also how long does it take you to create a sketch on average? Just curiosity questions.

jrosales

Mar 23, 2013
I am bidding on your commission sketch auction on eBay, good luck to me! Can I ask how you selected the images you used to draw those 100 cards? Also how long does it take you to create a sketch on average? Just curiosity questions.

Good luck, I hope you win it! Am I to guess that you'd request a Randy Johnson if you win it? :)

As for how I selected my images...Leaf gave us checklists with the athletes they wanted us to draw. It was up to us to select the images that we wanted to recreate. The ones I selected were those that just 'spoke to me', so to speak. For instance, I'm a big Rangers fan, and I thought it would be cool to draw Canseco as a Ranger. I mostly tried to stick to portraying the athletes with the teams on which they gained their fame.

As for time, it varied. Most of them took between 2 and 4 hours to complete each. These were some of my more intricate ones. I originally agreed to do 50 cards for Leaf, but I took on 50 more when one of the other artists dropped off the set. For some of these additional 50, I had to work faster because of the time crunch. Most of my cards for these last 50 took 2-3 hours, but some took under an hour. The important thing I tried to adhere to was to not let the quality of my work suffer.

Members online

Latest posts