Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The $150 1997 Baseball Checklist Card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
This morning a fellow board member alerted me to a card I've been looking for for over 10 years. I have never seen this card for sale before. It's the #1 checklist card from the 1997 Topps Pro Shooters Marbles. The auction was for both the card and a Jay Buhner marble. It had a BIN of $150, and a starting bid of $99. I just couldn't bring myself to hit the BIN, as it just seemed like $150 was so much to pay for it. But then again, I wanted it pretty bad. I do have the marble, just not the checklist. I ended up emailing the seller and offering $100. But 30 minutes later, the BIN was hit, and I never heard from the seller. I feel a little regret, but not too much for that price. I really believe someday I'll find one cheap. Kind of hard to believe any late 90's checklist card would sell for $150!

!BeMtLfQBmk~$(KGrHqYOKjoEq4F8pn97BK8Qe189t!~~_12.jpg

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Well at least now you have a pic of the CL at least!

As a player collector do you try to round up every CL that has your guy on it?

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I can't believe the price of that checklist card. At least I found out that Will Clark isn't one of the players in the set.

I'm sure another one will surface again . . . are you sure the seller doesn't have others??

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Warren's All Stars said:
Well at least now you have a pic of the CL at least!

As a player collector do you try to round up every CL that has your guy on it?

Only ones that have a picture of him on them, not ones with only his name listed.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:
This morning a fellow board member alerted me to a card I've been looking for for over 10 years. I have never seen this card for sale before. It's the #1 checklist card from the 1997 Topps Pro Shooters Marbles. The auction was for both the card and a Jay Buhner marble. It had a BIN of $150, and a starting bid of $99. I just couldn't bring myself to hit the BIN, as it just seemed like $150 was so much to pay for it. But then again, I wanted it pretty bad. I do have the marble, just not the checklist. I ended up emailing the seller and offering $100. But 30 minutes later, the BIN was hit, and I never heard from the seller. I feel a little regret, but not too much for that price. I really believe someday I'll find one cheap. Kind of hard to believe any late 90's checklist card would sell for $150!

In that situation I usually go ahead and put a bid in on it so the buy it now can't be hit. It gives you more time to negotiate. Also gives you a chance to contemplate blowing your competition away with a snipe later.

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
bigalbert said:
gracecollector said:

In that situation I usually go ahead and put a bid in on it so the buy it now can't be hit. It gives you more time to negotiate. Also gives you a chance to contemplate blowing your competition away with a snipe later.
+1 and if it's a rare item (I imagine your collection is built up enough that you aren't spending hundreds every month on Grace) that I need I'll always hit the BIN, the difference here was only $50.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
1995BBRefractorGuy said:
bigalbert said:
gracecollector said:

+1 and if it's a rare item (I imagine your collection is built up enough that you aren't spending hundreds every month on Grace) that I need I'll always hit the BIN, the difference here was only $50.

bigalbert:
I do the "place a bid to knock off the BIN" strategy quite often too. It's a smart move. Honestly didn't think I'd have much competition at that price, but was wrong.

1995BBRefractorGuy:
Yeah most months I might have hit the BIN, but this month, after buying the 1998 Crusade Grace Rainbow, I'd spent enough. "Only" $50 difference is quite a bit on the card. I'll find one someday. It's not a 1/1 as the auction claimed "it might be."

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Watch...one day you will perusing through a commons box at a shop and find one for a nickle.Then you will feel like a genius!At least I hope you find one like that.Hey...I'm still holding out hope of finding a DK super like that. ::facepalm:: :lol:

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
What type of checklist outside of the vintage market is actually capable of commanding anywhere close to $150????

Can you please post a link to the auction or atleast a picture.

All I can think of is 'Pulp Fiction"....$5 Milkshake

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
[ebay:9dtpgyzf]270480013443[/ebay:9dtpgyzf]

I knew Andruw was supposed to be in the set but due to the rarity I never had any 'proof'. According to the seller he had the whole marble set when it was released which now adds one more want to my list and any other collector's who's player is featured might have another item to track down. Hopefully in the future I can land one as well but I just couldnt justify spending $150 for a checklist, hence why I sent gracecollector a PM.

On a side note; How much would this off gone at auction? With 30 players listed I'm sure the player collector's would have driven it up past $150, no?

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
I saw it and hesitated. If I had 150 in my paypal account it would have been in my collection but the
more I think about it I am glad I did. It is a neat card but to me Griffey only makes up 1/30 of it
sort of like the Topps Black Gold ABCD card. They are neat but not worth the money to me.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Fandruw25 said:
[ebay:jwso09bj]270480013443[/ebay:jwso09bj]

On a side note; How much would this off gone at auction? With 30 players listed I'm sure the player collector's would have driven it up past $150, no?

I can only imagine how high the John Jaha collectors would have driven this auction...

Seriously, I really enjoy those sort of super oddball items. I wonder how many people that have this card know anything about it or its rarity and desirability.

Does anyone here know much about this issue? Was it a regional test issue? Any other details?

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
Jack Straw said:
I saw it and hesitated. If I had 150 in my paypal account it would have been in my collection but the
more I think about it I am glad I did. It is a neat card but to me Griffey only makes up 1/30 of it
sort of like the Topps Black Gold ABCD card. They are neat but not worth the money to me.

how much is the topps black gold abcd worth? I have one I would trade...

Members online