Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

80s Topps Packaging/Production Timeline Info Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
I figure this is a long shot request but maybe someone has some info.

I’m looking to figure out which Topps packaging type was issued last, excluding factory sets.

Is wax first? Concurrent with other packaging types? If so, throughout the entire run or are some packaging types reserved for later in the card year? Conjecture and fading memories welcome!

Specifically, I’m looking for information on 1989 Topps if that’s of any use.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Are you asking did Topps use 2 different packaging techniques in a single product run such as wax packaging (wax paper wrapper with wax glue) and plastic cellophane (plastic with ends and spine heat pressed together)? The answer is yes, they used both types. Wax for regular packs and the cellophane for jumbo packs found at Toys R Us, Kay Bee Toys and Kmart type stores.

Fordman

Jan 14, 2009
Are you asking did Topps use 2 different packaging techniques in a single product run such as wax packaging (wax paper wrapper with wax glue) and plastic cellophane (plastic with ends and spine heat pressed together)? The answer is yes, they used both types. Wax for regular packs and the cellophane for jumbo packs found at Toys R Us, Kay Bee Toys and Kmart type stores.

Fordman

No, I’m trying to figure out what order the different packaging types were released. Most importantly, what packaging type was produced/released last.

In other words: did Topps just dump wax, cello, rack, jumbo, vending onto the market simultaneously or did certain packaging types release at different points of the collecting year?

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
At the time, I was a small dealer in my area. I got all my stuff through a candy/cigarette/tobacco wholesaler. I could get whatever,no matter how it was packaged, as long as I paid for it up front and could wait 2 weeks for delivery to me. All versions of packaging was available to me. Whenever there was a release, the wholesaler would call me with what they had to offer and the case/box/unit price. I remember buying cases of wax boxes, cello, rack packs and jumbo cello packs all within the same order. They didnt have a 'wait for this day' to release product back then. The only product I had a problem getting was Fleer. It would trickle in every now and then but not very often. My second source for product was the Super Value warehouse in Xenia, Ohio. Since I worked for a Super Value branded store and worked the stocking shift, I had access to the complete ordering catalog. I could get any combination of cards there too but they were always $3-$10 more per box so I really never ordered with them.

Hope this info helps.
Fordman

Jan 14, 2009
At the time, I was a small dealer in my area. I got all my stuff through a candy/cigarette/tobacco wholesaler. I could get whatever,no matter how it was packaged, as long as I paid for it up front and could wait 2 weeks for delivery to me. All versions of packaging was available to me. Whenever there was a release, the wholesaler would call me with what they had to offer and the case/box/unit price. I remember buying cases of wax boxes, cello, rack packs and jumbo cello packs all within the same order. They didnt have a 'wait for this day' to release product back then. The only product I had a problem getting was Fleer. It would trickle in every now and then but not very often. My second source for product was the Super Value warehouse in Xenia, Ohio. Since I worked for a Super Value branded store and worked the stocking shift, I had access to the complete ordering catalog. I could get any combination of cards there too but they were always $3-$10 more per box so I really never ordered with them.

Hope this info helps.
Fordman

Yes, thank you, this is very helpful. I find hobby info from this time very valuable.

To give a little more background, I’m trying to figure out a production timeline and hopefully, a packaging source for a variation that went through two revisions in 1989 Topps. A large part of my theory is that the what is listed/known as the 1st version is actually the 3rd and final version. So figuring out what packaging type could have been reserved for later in the year may help prove or dispel my theory.

Do you happen to recall if vending was available from the beginning just as the other packaging types were?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If you have any old hobby magazines, that might prove helpful. Baseball Card Magazine by Krause was probably nearing or at the height of it's popularity around this time. They are loaded with dealer ads and stories about new sets and releases. I suspect all of this information, aside from maybe stories on upcoming releases, would be related to secondary availability though. This was a time when there were a lot of big dealers who took out 1, 2, 3 and sometimes more full page magazine ads to sell the massive amount of product that was being produced. Not saying you'll find what you need, but it could be helpful.

Jan 14, 2009
If you have any old hobby magazines, that might prove helpful. Baseball Card Magazine by Krause was probably nearing or at the height of it's popularity around this time. They are loaded with dealer ads and stories about new sets and releases. I suspect all of this information, aside from maybe stories on upcoming releases, would be related to secondary availability though. This was a time when there were a lot of big dealers who took out 1, 2, 3 and sometimes more full page magazine ads to sell the massive amount of product that was being produced. Not saying you'll find what you need, but it could be helpful.

Oh absolutely. I have owned and pored over hundreds of ca. 1988-1996 hobby magazine like SCD, BBC, etc since they provide a large amount of “lost” hobby information. Especially the letters sections. That said, I’m at a loss for info on this card, on this product release schedule so I’m leaning on anecdotal evidence from collectors with long memories.

The card in question: 1989 Topps 665 Tony Oliva Turn aback The Clock has been a known variation since the product’s release but none of my research (since early 00s) has produced answers for why this card was changed, apparently two twice (creating 3 versions) but it appears to have been subject to some sort of legal/copyright issue. So my next step is figuring out what packaging was released latest in the 1989 card season so I can test a theory on the order of the changes to the card.

Tibor

Sep 16, 2015
In the early 80's my experience was that Topps wax was released early January. A few weeks later cello and raks.
Vending started in mid March. End of April all product packing was available. By All-Star break the cut-card
cases were offered. Early August mis-wrap ( Cello, Rak and wax) were offered. I'm not sure after 1988.
I do remember that Donruss was available as wax before a week before Christmas in 1990 and 1991. One
other item, collectors should not dismiss cellos and raks because of a wrong series card showing on front
or back. The companies were not OCD about packaging cards. Get them wrapped and sell them, no matter
what. I bought leftover cello paks from a friend in Charlotte who put together complete sets with each card
showing on front, 1-792. He had complete sets like this for 1983-85. After the divorce he sold the sets
around 1992 or 1993.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I bought leftover cello paks from a friend in Charlotte who put together complete sets with each card
showing on front, 1-792. He had complete sets like this for 1983-85. After the divorce he sold the sets
around 1992 or 1993.

Holy smokes! A complete set of 792 cards made of front showing cello packs? WOW! Quite the set there!

Fordman

Members online

Latest posts