Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

90's insert explosion ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Is it me of are 90's insert cost being driven up ??
A copy of this card below sold for $112 tonite in PSA 10 (item 264701356052 )
I paid roughly $50+ for this copy 4 years ago when I purchased a large lot of Adams collection

Is it me or are more collectors starting to come back to the hobby who remember the 90's ?
Been busy working my butt cheeks off so I haven't exactly had time to spend monitoring eBay sales regularly

Anyone on regularly buying seeing an increase in sales prices despite the economy tanking ??
Jeff

Biggio-97FinestRef.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I just learned that some basketball inserts, especially Jordan, are red hot. People were talking about the 93/94 Ultra Sxcoring Kings, which were a great item when new. It took me forever to complete the set, but secured my Jordan early. Other sets were mentioned, like Hot numbers and seems all of them are selling for crazy money right now. I love all those great sets, but it really makes me want to dig them out and really reap the benefits for once in my collecting life.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, any halfway decent card is exploding in price. It's kind of a perfect storm for sellers right now. There's little to no new product coming out, so people are going after what's been overlooked and the evergreen products are at new highs. Lots of people got stimulus money they don't particularly need, plus tax returns always heat up the market in April. The Jordan documentary is apparently rekindling interest and driving prices on his stuff and related things like Pippen cards to insane highs. Gary V and his ilk are still buying up all sorts of things and moving into new areas like Prizm baseball, turning predictions of price increases into self-fulfilling prophecies. But mainly it seems like people are sitting around all cooped up and relieving boredom by buying stuff online, that tantalizingly painless combination of being able to attend a 24x7 cardshow in your underwear and not even think about the money until your credit card bill comes next month. Except my stuff, of course. My stuff just sits there.

Every night my wife cruises FB groups, ebay, and COMC and tells me what the latest ridiculous price jumps she sees are. Someone offered a 2019-20 Prizm Silver Lebron for $180 or something like that and it sold. She goes,"I pulled that card when Prizm came out and it was worth about $40." So much pent-up demand is really amazing.

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
I think some of this is driven by the shelter / work from home. People have more time on their hands, they're bored and browsing, and probably spending more money than typical on things like this (because there is nothing else to do or spend it on). I found myself doing this last week, buying up every card I liked in lieu of just chasing the cards I'm typically on the look out for. You also have more of the casual crowd now browsing around, who don't know or understand the typical value or how to value. If a casual buyer likes a card that typically sells for $15 and now it's listed at $25, they're probably spending the $25.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Facebook groups like "1990's to 2004 Baseball Card Rare Insert Collectors Group " have kept the spotlight on 90's inserts and driven up competition. Rare, quality 90's stuff is hot. Crusades, rare Refractors, Essential Credentials, 24kt Brilliants and others have seen big gains last couple of year.
Great group. And as someone who grew up collecting then, I do think there's a nostalgic element that I don't have for any other eras. Definitely been getting into that era more.

Jlvjr1623

Apr 23, 2020
I think some of this is driven by the shelter / work from home. People have more time on their hands, they're bored and browsing, and probably spending more money than typical on things like this (because there is nothing else to do or spend it on). I found myself doing this last week, buying up every card I liked in lieu of just chasing the cards I'm typically on the look out for. You also have more of the casual crowd now browsing around, who don't know or understand the typical value or how to value. If a casual buyer likes a card that typically sells for $15 and now it's listed at $25, they're probably spending the $25.

I agree to this. Boredom. WFH. So far it’s been week 6 WFH for me. I am used to spending $100 per day on breakfast, lunch and a couple of drinks for lunch. Therefore, to keep me busy and entertain and my mind off from work, I’ve decided to get back to cards investing. I purchased 2 Jeter graded PSA 10’s at what I would say undervalue prices. I sold my Griffey 89 TT PSA 10 on FB @ $134 after paying $48 back in Feb of 2020. I missed playing 21 Blackjack and this almost feels like I’m playing in AC.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah brother, I'm feeling you. I'm used to spending $150 a day on hookers and blow and boozing it up at lunch. But now with all this craziness I've decided to scale back and speculate on cardboard instead. Just keepin' it real.

Latest posts