Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A List of "Iconic Post War Baseball RCs" from the wax era.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
ok, maybe the list is too '80s heavy. But that is when the card hobby became a booming business and those not around then cannot understand how HUGE cards like Gooden and crew were.

my list is not posted to just assemble "rookie cards", that is an easy list to compile. Hell, i already have most of them already. i want this list as more of a guide as to what to focus in on as i am running out of rookie cards that i need.

It sounds like you're not limiting yourself to RCs at all then, which actually makes the project sound much more personal and interesting. While I understand how huge Gooden, Straw, Fernando & Co. were, I don't know as much about the earlier years (mid '70s and before) either, but I don't think iconic cards were limited to players, as the person who spoke about Reese said, the picture and design on the card is what made the card iconic. I agree that sounds like fun research.

If I were undertaking this project, I'd scan the cards into photobucket when finished and order a hard cover book with all the pictures. Maybe there's a way to write something about each card and why it was chosen...Hmmmm...a good coffee table book for sure.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
If you are looking for cards that were huge, you should have the 1988 Gregg Jefferies Donruss or Fleer issue. The 1990 Ben McDonald UD Error was also huge for a rookie/error. The 1991 Todd Van Poppel UD card was a very sought after card. The 1977 Topps Mark Fidrych was undoubtedly hot as was the 1981 Joe Charboneau Topps/Fleer card.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
What you call Iconic may not be the same to some, and what you call rookies on some cards are really not their rookies.

Not everyone will be happy with the list...

Me :)
Id add the 55T Killebrew, 60T McCovey, 61T Marichal, 62T Brock, 65T Carlton, 74T Winfield, drop the Yount, Murphy, Carter (lol), BoJackson (lol), and a few others...

Id Also drop the 48B Berra, 48B Musial, and 49B/49L JRobinson, they are not their rookies, there are a few cards issued of each of these players that were in 1947 or earlier (ie the D302, D305, D323, etc.)
Same with the FRobinson, there were 3 cards issued in 1956 of him.......

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
fkw said:
Id Also drop the 48B Berra, 48B Musial, and 49B/49L JRobinson, they are not their rookies, there are a few cards issued of each of these players that were in 1947 or earlier (ie the D302, D305, D323, etc.)

which packs or factory issued sets where these in?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
fkw said:

which packs or factory issued sets where these in?

The D-series cards are like the '70s and '80s cards inserted into Hostess or Drakes Cakes.

Members online

Latest posts