Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A very important pickup for my Hank Greenberg collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
This story began in 2014 after a friend of mine wrote this article about my collection as he followed me to a January White Plains show. After the story was published I received a lot of nice comments and attention from it from collectors and friends.

Among the notoriety I received was an email from a man living in Michigan writing on behalf of his wife, whose father had recently passed. While going through his belongings they came across a postcard of Hank Greenberg that was signed to her father. It was a treasured piece of this man's collection.

I had several rounds of negotiations with the man regarding the postcard. However, I was strapped for cash at the time, and conversation fizzled out.

Fast forward to 2017; on a long train ride home from work I thought again about this postcard and wondered if they still had it. Luckily I was able to find the conversation in my emails and reached back out to the gentleman who I was speaking with 3 years ago and asked him if they still had the postcard.

To my surprise, they did.

We picked up where we left off, agreed on a price and the deal was done! Funny part was that neither of them had a PayPal account, so I sent a check in the mail, the old fashioned way, which I found funny.

The postcard arrived in the mail the other day, I opened it live on my YouTube channel. Please watch the video to see what else they included in the package for me. It was quite memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoysTYou6bY

IMG_20170221_232318323_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170221_232237074_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the read guys!

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Just got done watching the vid, Brian. Awesome postcard (really like the photo they used of him) and story behind it! Cool that the daughter was willing to part with it because she knew it would go to a good home. Very cool personal item with a story behind it to boot....love your passion for your collection, & very envious of your Greenberg PC.

Your pal,
-Scott (Not Hank Greenberg ;) )

PS - Gonna bid on his first basemens glove? That would look nice in your collection... :)

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Just got done watching the vid, Brian. Awesome postcard (really like the photo they used of him) and story behind it! Cool that the daughter was willing to part with it because she knew it would go to a good home. Very cool personal item with a story behind it to boot....love your passion for your collection, & very envious of your Greenberg PC.

Your pal,
-Scott (Not Hank Greenberg ;) )

PS - Gonna bid on his first basemens glove? That would look nice in your collection... :)

Thanks Scott, and that glove is amazing!! I've seen (and held) a game used hat, seen several bats but this is the first glove I've seen. Pretty unbelievable.

Thank you for the kind words, and I like the salutation :D

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Thank you so much for the kind words fellas. It might be hard to top this pickup this year (but I'll try nonetheless)

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Amazing. See how fate works? It was STILL waiting for you after all that time. Another funny thing is guess what my first ever cut auto was? Yep...Mr. Hank Greenberg Legendary Cuts! I will show you sometime this week...Congrats!

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Amazing. See how fate works? It was STILL waiting for you after all that time. Another funny thing is guess what my first ever cut auto was? Yep...Mr. Hank Greenberg Legendary Cuts! I will show you sometime this week...Congrats!

Thanks man, can't wait to see it!!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Brian, I love your appreciation for your collection and for Mr. Greenberg - an appreciation that is obvious and sincere. Really glad you could reconnect with the Mack family and land a couple of treasures.

Also, maybe you've talked about your age before and I either missed it or forgot (probably the latter), so I also wanted to say that it's great seeing a younger collector with such a love and appreciation of vintage cards. There are fewer and fewer of your peers with a similar passion.

Anyway, that's it. Congrats on your pickups and thanks for sharing your video.

Geordie

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Brian, I love your appreciation for your collection and for Mr. Greenberg - an appreciation that is obvious and sincere. Really glad you could reconnect with the Mack family and land a couple of treasures.

Also, maybe you've talked about your age before and I either missed it or forgot (probably the latter), so I also wanted to say that it's great seeing a younger collector with such a love and appreciation of vintage cards. There are fewer and fewer of your peers with a similar passion.

Anyway, that's it. Congrats on your pickups and thanks for sharing your video.

Geordie

Geordie, thank you so much for the kind words and the advice you've given over the years. In my opinion, it will be vintage cards that will remain the most important aspect of our hobby. They are important to the history and the future.

I hope more young collectors realize this too, and I'm sure some will come to figure it out soon enough.

I love sharing my additions with the community, it has always been so supportive and respectful of my focus and to see the appreciation for it is very humbling.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
On the address section of the postcard..

You have to remember that back then they had fewer people and since it had the Street Address, it could be delivered..

Great job on your addition..

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Sweet as I always love the oddball pickups. Also great back story and I'm glad it was a deal that was able to be completed regardless of how long it took.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
That is righteous. This post is particularly cool, since guys like you who collect old time players don't get as many mail days as most of us with modern PC's. I really like reading about vintage pickups.

Members online