Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Acceptable standard for packaging?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
I recently received the following feedback on Ebay

"Fast shipping, but could use a little more effort packing it up safely."

Do you feel that the following is an acceptable standard of packaging or that it should be done differently? If you do feel that this is not adequate, I'd appreciate any input on what else you feel should be done.

Free shipping
Fully insured
Bubble mailer (outer lip secured with self adhesive and a piece of tape)
Penny sleeve
Top loader (top secured w/ a piece of tape looped at the end so it can easily be pulled off)
Packing peanut attached via two pieces of tape crossing (each looped at the end for easy removal)

I plan on contacting the buyer to ensure that there weren't any issues with the card and I am open to whatever feedback he may have but I wanted to see what the board concensus was on this topic.

Thanks,
Jason

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
maybe he left the feedback on the wrong item. otherwise you treated it like gold. I did receive a griffey insert the other day in a pwe in a toploader stuck between two index cards. was charged two bucks for shipping. if he'd taken HALF your consideration i'd of been happy

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
The guy hates tape and really likes cards sealed in team bags?
Not sure what else you could have done......that's insane.

And honestly from what I've seen of late Free Shipping = PWE.
So I really have no idea what could have upset them.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
Did you leave it sit on your desk for two days before shipping because FedEx was closed? Maybe that's what he meant...? ;)

In all seriousness, I really don't know of anything else you could do. I would be more than happy with that shipping. I received a card the other day: $4 shipping and it too was sent in a PWE. ::facepalm::

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Buynhisellnlow said:

Do you feel that the following is an acceptable standard of packaging or that it should be done differently? If you do feel that this is not adequate, I'd appreciate any input on what else you feel should be done.

Free shipping
Fully insured
Penny sleeve
Top loader (top secured w/ a piece of tape looped at the end so it can easily be pulled off)
Packing peanut attached via two pieces of tape crossing (each looped at the end for easy removal)

I plan on contacting the seller to ensure that there weren't any issues with the card and I am open to whatever feedback he may have but I wanted to see what the board concensus was on this topic.

Thanks,
Jason

I think your packaging was just fine. The buyer is way too fastidious.

I do have to point out that YOU are the seller. I don't know why people always confuse "buyer" and "seller" but I see it on these forums all the time. You will be contacting the buyer, not the seller.

pgwtamu

Feb 13, 2009
I think what you did was acceptable, and I wouldn't be unhappy with it. I always put cardboard on each site to ensure that there is no bend on accident. I usually cut up an old usps priority box. Haven't had a complain yet.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I don't think that this was what he was referring to, but I HATE when people tape a packing peanut to the center of the card, as that's just a potential fulcrum to bend the card if it ends up in the bottom of a mail bin with any substantial weight stacked on top of it. You're just begging for that card to get something sat on top of it and the weight bends the card around the peanut and it gets creased down the middle.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Keyser Soze said:
I don't think that this was what he was referring to, but I HATE when people tape a packing peanut to the center of the card, as that's just a potential fulcrum to bend the card if it ends up in the bottom of a mail bin with any substantial weight stacked on top of it. You're just begging for that card to get something sat on top of it and the weight bends the card around the peanut and it gets creased down the middle.

I had a card sent with a piece of hard double bubble in the bubble envelope. Hell, might as well put a rock in there.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I would have no major problems with a receiving an eBay purchase packaged like you described. I'm not a big fan of all the tape but it's not something I would ding the seller on or feel the need to comment on. You folded tabs on the tape so it was easy to peel off without damaging anything. I hate it when sellers use packing tape to seal the toploader and/or secure it to the packing slip or a piece of cardboard - could increase the chances of damaging the card trying to free it from its cocoon of tape.

I sell the occasional card on ebay and my packaging is penny sleeve, toploader, team bag, #000 padded envelope. I also cut a piece of currogated cardboard the same size as a toploader on put it in the team bag with the card. I don't use any tape. Haven't had any complaints.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
fengzhang said:
Buynhisellnlow said:

Free shipping
Fully insured
Penny sleeve

I plan on contacting the seller to ensure that there weren't any issues with the card and I am open to whatever feedback he may have but I wanted to see what the board concensus was on this topic.

Thanks,
Jason

I think your packaging was just fine. The buyer is way too fastidious.

I do have to point out that YOU are the seller. I don't know why people always confuse "buyer" and "seller" but I see it on these forums all the time. You will be contacting the buyer, not the seller.

You are absolutely right, I misspoke on that point.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
Keyser Soze said:

This is a fair point. I put the Peanut on the card to ensure that the package is thick enough for delivery confirmation. I will look at either putting a peanut on each end (top and bottom of the front) to help ensure even distribution of pressure or some other alternate solution.

What do all of you do to meet the thickness standards?

I went for quite a few years without an issue then suddenly, had several packages either returned or arrive to the buyer with a postage due notice due to the package not being thick enough.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I love when sellers package the cards the way you described. Lately I've been getting cards in top loaders sandwiched between cardboard and so much tape I have to break out a razor blade and try not to cut the card.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
olerud363 said:
I sell the occasional card on ebay and my packaging is penny sleeve, toploader, team bag, #000 padded envelope. I also cut a piece of currogated cardboard the same size as a toploader on put it in the team bag with the card. I don't use any tape. Haven't had any complaints.

I used to just use the team bag without securing the toploader but I ran into some issues with the cards sliding out and getting damaged and I have received cards with the same issue when packaged like that. Hence why I started securing the top of the holders.

I also used to ship in a manner similar to what you outline above but I began to have packages kicked back and buyers' receiving the packages with postage due notices due to it not meeting thickness standards for Delivery Confirmation.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Buynhisellnlow said:
What do all of you do to meet the thickness standards?

I went for quite a few years without an issue then suddenly, had several packages either returned or arrive to the buyer with a postage due notice due to the package not being thick enough.

I've been sneaking the bubble mailers into the automated postage center's collection box just so I don't have to add the peanut. The only time I've ever been questioned is when I hand it to the postal employee. I didn't think it was being measured other places down the line.

Also, A+ on using the buddy tab; your roots are showing there. I use a team bag and no peanut, but that's just to keep tape off the loader.

What I HATE, is when people use packaging tape on the top loader. Hey folks: what kind of tape leaves sticky, ****** residue on things? That's right, packaging tape. MASKING TAPE is designed to leave no residue. I hate when I have top loaders that stick together because of old tape (or tape that is so strong, I have to jeopardize the card inside, nearly bending the thing to get the tape off).

Sorry to hijack your thread. You done did good; F that guy.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I'm one who absolutely hates the packaging peanut. I understand the DC rule, but it's a terrible rule and I believe most USPS employees either realize that or don't care. I recently had a gu card get creased because of it. I've also had gu cards get creased when shipped in top loader and bubble mailer, especially with a bigger mailer. I almost always use a thick dummy decoy on the front side of the card or use a one touch/screwdown/two piece snaptite/hinged snaptite with sleeve on card. I really hate when I get a gu card in top loader and bubble mailer.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
One thing I've done to increase the thickness of the package is put the package card in half of a used bubble mailer, then put all of it into the mailer that it is going to be shipped in.

Buynhisellnlow

Aug 7, 2008
bear0555 said:
I'm one who absolutely hates the packaging peanut. I understand the DC rule, but it's a terrible rule and I believe most USPS employees either realize that or don't care. I recently had a gu card get creased because of it. I've also had gu cards get creased when shipped in top loader and bubble mailer, especially with a bigger mailer. I almost always use a thick dummy decoy on the front side of the card or use a one touch/screwdown/two piece snaptite/hinged snaptite with sleeve on card. I really hate when I get a gu card in top loader and bubble mailer.

I agree on all counts. Unfortunately though, after a string of packages being returned or postage being due I'm trying to comply with the thickness regulations.

I am going to start putting a Peanut on each end of the front. That way, pressure should be evenly distributed. I haven't had any issues with the cards being damaged in the manner I have been shipping but I agree that the scenario you outline is a possibility with using just one peanut.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Keyser Soze said:

I had a card sent with a piece of hard double bubble in the bubble envelope. Hell, might as well put a rock in there.
Well....did you at least eat the gum?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts