Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AL EAST CHAMPS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
D-Lite said:
[quote="Liberate Baltimore":2eyasp4d]Rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox is like rooting for Wal-Mart against the Sisters of the Poor. If you weren't born or grew up in that area, it just doesn't show originality. For the record, one can be desginated a "true fan" of a franchise if they were born or raised in that area. Unless....a.) you are currently rooting for a team that is perpetually below .500 or under the media radar. (for example, being a Royals fan in Louisiana is legitimate, while being a Yankees fan in Louisiana is not).
What if you're from Connecticut, New London area, approx 2 hr from both NY and Boston, and then moved to th SF Bay Area at 23?

My fam is split Yanks/Sox.[/quote:2eyasp4d]

You're not a fan. You like soccer.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
blanning71 said:
Liberate Baltimore said:
Rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox is like rooting for Wal-Mart against the Sisters of the Poor. If you weren't born or grew up in that area, it just doesn't show originality. For the record, one can be desginated a "true fan" of a franchise if they were born or raised in that area. Unless....a.) you are currently rooting for a team that is perpetually below .500 or under the media radar. (for example, being a Royals fan in Louisiana is legitimate, while being a Yankees fan in Louisiana is not).

Well........just so ya know, I didn't jump on the ole bandwagon when the Yankees won the Series in 06. Growing up in Greensboro, you'll be happy to know that the minor league team there was an affiliate of the DUM DUM DUM......YANKEES!!!! So, imagine that as a little kid, I see the players on the field and I want to root for their team. And it didn't hurt that my dad has always been a Yankee fan from when he was a little kid and he passed his love for the team onto me when I was old enough to know about the sport. My favorite player is Don Mattingly and I've always collected Yankee stuff. Yes, even Mike Pagliarulo, Hensley Muelens, Steve Howe, and Dallas Green cards. Oh yeah, and some dude named Brien Taylor. I remember when they sucked in the 80's and early 90's. And that was ok. I pulled for the players I liked and that was enough for me.

Sorry I didn't have the privilege of living in a major city where "my team" played. I can still be a fan from hundreds of miles away and be happy with that. I totally disagree with your explanation of a "fan" above.

OK, so I will also make an amendment for towns with minor league franchises as that is a good point. However, inherited bandwagon jumping is not an excuse :)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Liberate Baltimore said:
blanning71 said:
[quote="Liberate Baltimore":26i4w4du]Rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox is like rooting for Wal-Mart against the Sisters of the Poor. If you weren't born or grew up in that area, it just doesn't show originality. For the record, one can be desginated a "true fan" of a franchise if they were born or raised in that area. Unless....a.) you are currently rooting for a team that is perpetually below .500 or under the media radar. (for example, being a Royals fan in Louisiana is legitimate, while being a Yankees fan in Louisiana is not).

Well........just so ya know, I didn't jump on the ole bandwagon when the Yankees won the Series in 06. Growing up in Greensboro, you'll be happy to know that the minor league team there was an affiliate of the DUM DUM DUM......YANKEES!!!! So, imagine that as a little kid, I see the players on the field and I want to root for their team. And it didn't hurt that my dad has always been a Yankee fan from when he was a little kid and he passed his love for the team onto me when I was old enough to know about the sport. My favorite player is Don Mattingly and I've always collected Yankee stuff. Yes, even Mike Pagliarulo, Hensley Muelens, Steve Howe, and Dallas Green cards. Oh yeah, and some dude named Brien Taylor. I remember when they sucked in the 80's and early 90's. And that was ok. I pulled for the players I liked and that was enough for me.

Sorry I didn't have the privilege of living in a major city where "my team" played. I can still be a fan from hundreds of miles away and be happy with that. I totally disagree with your explanation of a "fan" above.

OK, so I will also make an amendment for towns with minor league franchises as that is a good point. However, inherited bandwagon jumping is not an excuse :)[/quote:26i4w4du]

Dude, you're really starting to piss me off. I'm glad to know you're the know it all for fan-dom.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
blanning71 said:
Liberate Baltimore said:
blanning71 said:
[quote="Liberate Baltimore":2oihyxti]Rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox is like rooting for Wal-Mart against the Sisters of the Poor. If you weren't born or grew up in that area, it just doesn't show originality. For the record, one can be desginated a "true fan" of a franchise if they were born or raised in that area. Unless....a.) you are currently rooting for a team that is perpetually below .500 or under the media radar. (for example, being a Royals fan in Louisiana is legitimate, while being a Yankees fan in Louisiana is not).

OK, so I will also make an amendment for towns with minor league franchises as that is a good point. However, inherited bandwagon jumping is not an excuse :)

Dude, you're really starting to piss me off. I'm glad to know you're the know it all for fan-dom.[/quote:2oihyxti]

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, nor am I a know it all. I'm just trying to restore originality to the "average joe" sports fan. Being that you like a myriad of popular and successful teams, I am going to invite you for a year to step in the shoes of a less fortunate fan. For the 2012 season I am cordially inviting you to follow the Baltimore Orioles. Home of three World Series titles, the best record in baseball from 1960-1985. Buy a cap, collect some team sets, whatever. But THAT act alone will do the trick. It could be the start of a new movement.... :)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Liberate Baltimore said:
blanning71 said:
[quote="Liberate Baltimore":1mh11c3o]
blanning71 said:
[quote="Liberate Baltimore":1mh11c3o]Rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox is like rooting for Wal-Mart against the Sisters of the Poor. If you weren't born or grew up in that area, it just doesn't show originality. For the record, one can be desginated a "true fan" of a franchise if they were born or raised in that area. Unless....a.) you are currently rooting for a team that is perpetually below .500 or under the media radar. (for example, being a Royals fan in Louisiana is legitimate, while being a Yankees fan in Louisiana is not).

Dude, you're really starting to piss me off. I'm glad to know you're the know it all for fan-dom.[/quote:1mh11c3o]

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, nor am I a know it all. I'm just trying to restore originality to the "average joe" sports fan. Being that you like a myriad of popular and successful teams, I am going to invite you for a year to step in the shoes of a less fortunate fanl. For the 2012 season I am cordially inviting you to follow the Baltimore Orioles. Home of three World Series titles, the best record in baseball from 1960-1985. Buy a cap, collect some team sets, whatever. But THAT act alone will do the trick. It could be the start of a new movement.... :)[/quote:1mh11c3o]

Oh........so I get it now. You are playing the ole "woe is me" trick where you try to make it the big bad baseball teams vs. the little guys that don't get any credit. Just so ya know, I like Baltimore. I had a blast last year watching the handful of games I saw and I absolutely love the stadium. I'm a big Wieters fan and I like former players like Brooks Robinson, Ripken, and Ben McDonald. Some of the prospects I follow are Orioles minor leaguers so yeah I follow the big league club. Actually get to watch some games on MASN from time to time. Good baseball for me. I'm more of a fan of the game. I don't get big headed like some Yankee fans on here do. I know when to admit my team overspends for gawdy players and doesn't have crap to show for it. So yeah, if I find a hat design that I like, I will be more than glad to rock an O's hat. I tell ya what......meet up with me at the Natty next summer and we'll go together and find a nice O's hat for me to wear and I'll gladly don it and do it with pride. It doesn't matter to me. I am not scared to do so.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
blanning71 said:
D-Lite said:
[quote="Liberate Baltimore":1bado14q]Rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox is like rooting for Wal-Mart against the Sisters of the Poor. If you weren't born or grew up in that area, it just doesn't show originality. For the record, one can be desginated a "true fan" of a franchise if they were born or raised in that area. Unless....a.) you are currently rooting for a team that is perpetually below .500 or under the media radar. (for example, being a Royals fan in Louisiana is legitimate, while being a Yankees fan in Louisiana is not).
What if you're from Connecticut, New London area, approx 2 hr from both NY and Boston, and then moved to th SF Bay Area at 23?

My fam is split Yanks/Sox.
You're not a fan. You like soccer.[/quote:1bado14q]
I'm disappointed no one went with the Whale.

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
D-Lite said:
blanning71 said:
[quote="D-Lite":1hu9cxky][quote="Liberate Baltimore":1hu9cxky]Rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox is like rooting for Wal-Mart against the Sisters of the Poor. If you weren't born or grew up in that area, it just doesn't show originality. For the record, one can be desginated a "true fan" of a franchise if they were born or raised in that area. Unless....a.) you are currently rooting for a team that is perpetually below .500 or under the media radar. (for example, being a Royals fan in Louisiana is legitimate, while being a Yankees fan in Louisiana is not).

My fam is split Yanks/Sox.
You're not a fan. You like soccer.[/quote:1hu9cxky]
I'm disappointed no one went with the Whale.[/quote:1hu9cxky]

most of thes guys probably dont know what The Whale is, most of them think baseball is the only sport ever invented.

and to te baltimore fella. being from Louisiana, I didn't have a local MLB team to pull for, so followed whoever was on the tv set, whcih for us was the rangers, astros and braves so I went with the braves. is that ok with you... also being as since we got the rangers and astros when The Best Ever was there, I had a chance to see a no hitter every 4 days.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Liberate Baltimore said:
Rooting for the Yankees or Red Sox is like rooting for Wal-Mart against the Sisters of the Poor. If you weren't born or grew up in that area, it just doesn't show originality. For the record, one can be desginated a "true fan" of a franchise if they were born or raised in that area. Unless....a.) you are currently rooting for a team that is perpetually below .500 or under the media radar. (for example, being a Royals fan in Louisiana is legitimate, while being a Yankees fan in Louisiana is not).
I was born and raised in CT and I hate UCONN with a passion.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
blanning71 said:
Liberate Baltimore said:

The bats. I remember that stadium well.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Interesting discussion.

My first favorite team was the Braves, because I could see them on TV. No local MLB teams to cheer for in Omaha. Then I started liking Rickey, and the A's became my favorite team. Then I moved to Colorado Springs (no MLB team) and couldn't watch the Braves anymore. We didn't even get the Cubs. *sigh* BUT we did get to go see the local team live a lot, the Sky Sox. That's when the Indians became my favorite team, and has been ever since. Even though there is an MLB team in the state now, and they stole the local team from the Indians, I still cheer for the Indians. And wear my Tribe gear to Rockies games.

Which reminds me of something... My wife and I went to a Rockies game a while back, and outside they had this trailor set up, where the store Fanzz was selling merchandise. Jerseys and shirts and stuff. They had 70% Rockies gear, 15% Yankees crap and 15% Indians gear. I had never seen so much Indians stuff in one place before, and the Indians weren't even playing. I asked the guy what was up with that, and he explained that the Indians were real popular around these here parts because their AAA team was in Colorado Springs for a long time.

The moral of the story... THANK GOD the Sky Sox weren't the Yankees AAA affiliate all those years. :lol: Then everybody would hate me. ::facepalm::

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Not a complete waste of a lineup tonight:

Derek Jeter SS
Eduardo Nunez 2B
Mark Teixeira DH
Nick Swisher RF
Andruw Jones LF
Jesus Montero C
Jorge Posada 1B
Brandon Laird 3B