Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another "I just don't understand this" COMC seller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jun 30, 2010
I mean yeah the seller shouldn't have had the best offer option turned on for that card, but really? Over 40 cents you're going to make a fuss? I doubt the seller cares about losing a customer whose going to haggle with him over 40 cents, lol. I usually side with the buyer in this case and I get that it's principle but the only mistake that the seller made here was having the best option turned on - there's honestly no reason to offer 40 cents less for a card if you like it and if you're a reseller again 40 cents shouldn't be too rough on your margins.

My position exactly............

Jun 30, 2010
If you are not making offers on COMC you are not a smart buyer. Majority of sellers on COMC are going to price slightly higher to cover fees. Buyers are going to offer lower to get a "good deal". Any seller that counters more than original price would never get my business. Being an ******** seller doesn't get you my business!

No one condones that, however, this is a perfect example of the cheapest buyers being the same pain. All over 40 cents...PLEASE!!!!! If you try to justify that cheapness over one card for 1.75 then so be it...

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
A few things , if he was buying just one card and paying the shipping then you would have a point. However I'm 99.99% sure he probably is gonna ship it in bulk. So lets say he is paying .10 of shipping towards the VT. So $1.45 would be the cost. BBC owns a card store in NY. So again I'll assume it's an easy flip for a Jets VT Jersey card. Will he get rich off that one card, obviously not. But it's a grind as a shop owner and hell take .55 profit quickly anytime he can.

And for the third time , his issue isn't the seller not coming off 1.75, it's the counter he received. Maybe the seller typed the counter in wrong and meant $1.75 , but my responses are based on what the OP stated.

Ryan

Again, I simply don't buy the $.40 makes or breaks the bank for a successful business owner whose owned a shop in NY for a long time, when I've seen countless card shops in NY close down. IMO the seller did have reason to be offended at the offer, at the end of the day the buyer can offer what he wants and the seller can counter what he wants so no harm no foul from both sides I guess. But from a seller's perspective, you're not upset about losing a customer who literally nickel and dimes you. This is different in my opinion from a guy offering $135 on a $175 card and the seller countering with $625 or even $174.99.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I've tried selling testaverde jersey cards for five bucks. They don't sell at that price, at least for me, period.

I bought a bunch last year and don't even recall selling more than a couple at $5.

So since I always like turning over cards and bringing in fresh material, I put what I had in my $2 box they sold fast.

And like others have stated, it's not about being rejected, it's about the seller's dick move.

The seller has over 16k cards and thousands of "junk" game used and autos. You'd think he wouldn't want to piss off and drive away anyone.

It's not like he's dealing in 52 Mantles

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
I wish you can have offers for high end cards and no offers on low end cards. I just turn off my offers and do a 15% sale

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Go to profile and options and set your incoming minimum offer $ to $10 (or whatever you want). It should do what you are saying.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
No one condones that, however, this is a perfect example of the cheapest buyers being the same pain. All over 40 cents...PLEASE!!!!! If you try to justify that cheapness over one card for 1.75 then so be it...

This is my last post on this as were just spinning wheels , but the thread went in two directions. It wasn't started over .40 , it was the response of the seller. It's a bad move as a seller to act like that, which is different than not accepting an offer.

Then we started talking about the profit margin on the card. It's the buyers option to sell some cards for .50 profit. It's their money money they can invest it how they wish. So if he can turn it fr $2 and wants to pay $1.45 (let's say w shipping) , why does anyone have a problem w that ? If that's not your business model, that's fine , but no one should have issue with someone doing that.

Ryan

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
All the people saying he is cheap fn kill me.

First off it's a garbage card and he's lucky someone even made an offer. If you don't like offers don't accept offers. I make the lowest possible offer on EVERY card I buy and it gets accepted 95% of the time. Most of the stuff people sell on Comc wouldn't move well anywhere else and they are just glad to clear it out. That 1.30 offer is prob .85c more than it's worth.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I don't understand sellers like this, I remember them and will pay a little more to avoid buying their other cards on other purchases as well. I don't think negotiating on comc is being cheap, I do it all the time. I mean if it's a card you really need I would just pay the price but most of the time it's just a card that is cool and if you can get it for the right price you'll buy it, but if not you can live without it. I can't think of one thing the seller gains by jacking up the price.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I'll also say this; if you even look at it from the perspective that at the end of the day you can respect a good hardball negotiator who will fight for every last penny you have to accept that you don't make friends that way. If you're going to offer people $.40 lower for their cards you have to accept that you'll get some hardball sellers in response to that. The seller was definitely being a d**k but again the buyer wasn't a whole lot more right in this case. Neither the seller nor the buyer in this case are making friends in this hobby I'll leave it at that

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008

Fine, if as a seller you or anyone else would choose to be a dick to a potential buyer you will lose business of theirs and potentially lots of others if they choose to divulge your ID on forums like this. Run your business as you choose but also be highly aware of those actions and the consequences.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Fine, if as a seller you or anyone else would choose to be a dick to a potential buyer you will lose business of theirs and potentially lots of others if they choose to divulge your ID on forums like this. Run your business as you choose but also be highly aware of those actions and the consequences.

This is true but the same exact thing could be said about the buyer in this case as well...

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
For the thousands of cards I've sold on comc, MAYBE....MAYBE....I've countered a hand full of times. Everything else I've accepted and it's mostly 50 percent off.

I know I'm not selling chrome Bryant autos so I'm looking to move what I list...pronto.

And when I post in fcb bst section I love offers.

Unlike some sellers there, I don't think of comc as my museum.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
I'll also say this; if you even look at it from the perspective that at the end of the day you can respect a good hardball negotiator who will fight for every last penny you have to accept that you don't make friends that way. If you're going to offer people $.40 lower for their cards you have to accept that you'll get some hardball sellers in response to that. The seller was definitely being a d**k but again the buyer wasn't a whole lot more right in this case. Neither the seller nor the buyer in this case are making friends in this hobby I'll leave it at that

Exactly, with one more thought. I would rather lose the business of a 40 cent hardball buyer. We are not talking about a 10 year old kid. We are talking about an adult here....Everyone can justify it how they want but if you are not taking transactions from a win/win perspective and respect is lost from both sides then both parties are best to move on.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Exactly, with one more thought. I would rather lose the business of a 40 cent hardball buyer. We are not talking about a 10 year old kid. We are talking about an adult here....Everyone can justify it how they want but if you are not taking transactions from a win/win perspective and respect is lost from both sides then both parties are best to move on.

I couldn't not respond again ;) He is not mad that the seller didn't come down from $1.75 ! He's mad at the way the seller went about saying no.

And you guys are arguing he should be able to pay .40 more , but the COMC shouldn't be able to take .40 less ? He wasn't buying the VT to collect it , he is a business reselling it , much like the COMC seller. So why does the .40 less hurt the COMC seller , but paying the .40 shouldn't hurt the store owner ?

No one cares if the seller didn't accept the offer its how they did it , and as a store owner , collector , what ever you are, trying to buy cheaper isn't the same as being cheap. It's quite smart actually.

Ryan

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I couldn't not respond again ;) He is not mad that the seller didn't come down from $1.75 ! He's mad at the way the seller went about saying no.

And you guys are arguing he should be able to pay .40 more , but the COMC shouldn't be able to take .40 less ? He wasn't buying the VT to collect it , he is a business reselling it , much like the COMC seller. So why does the .40 less hurt the COMC seller , but paying the .40 shouldn't hurt the store owner ?

No one cares if the seller didn't accept the offer its how they did it , and as a store owner , collector , what ever you are, trying to buy cheaper isn't the same as being cheap. It's quite smart actually.

Ryan

Again, if you're going to play the hard-nosed, negotiate to the last penny buyer role then you can't expect to make a lot of seller friends. Is what the buyer did particularly wrong? No, not at all - but my point is that when you play that kind of negotiator role you have to expect some sellers to come back hard at you as well so no harm no foul for me. The seller shouldn't always be expected to take it up the ass and smile.

Last edited:

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

I agree, it's not worth someone's time quite literally - but the seller could have not allowed best offers or had an auto accept/reject limit in place. Aside from that like I've said I think both the buyer and seller are within reason here, but what I don't like is like I said you offer let's say $200 on a $250 card and the seller comes back with $249. The common sense test usually works when you evaluate if a seller really is being a dick or not and over $.40, c'mon I get principle but there's just no need for that you have to expect sarcastic responses every so often when you throw out those kind of offers.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Again, if you're going to play the hard-nosed, negotiate to the last penny buyer role then you can't expect to make a lot of seller friends. Is what the buyer did particularly wrong? No, not at all - but my point is that when you play that kind of negotiator role you have to expect some sellers to come back hard at you as well so no harm no foul for me. The seller shouldn't always be expected to take it up the ass and smile.

No one was playing a hard-nosed buyer role. Not sure where that description even comes from??? That's what your not understanding. I don't know how many times I can state that nobody said he should have accepted the offer , and that nobody should be mad if he declined the offer. The seller didn't come back "hard" , he came back (this is assuming he did it in purpose) like a DB. You realize how many sellers have an auto accept , or accept offers on COMC even with low dollar items? Again it's dumb not to offer , but that is not the same as saying the seller has to accept the offer. I don't recall anyone in this thread saying the seller should have taken it and smiled , however there was information provided to why the potential buyer offered the price he did instead of paying full list price, which just like its the sellers right to decline an offer , it's the buyers right to offer if that option is provided to them.

We're really going round and round and I've summed up my side as clear as I could.

Ryan

Jun 30, 2010

Nobody condones being that way to a buyer. However, there is a HUGE difference with being an inexpensive buyer who likes to buy dollar cards and a cheap hardball negotiator buyer who wants to hammer away at you on Dollar cards. I love buyers who buy dollar cards, hate hardball dollar card negotiators.

Members online