Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Any tips for buying vintage on eBay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
I am looking to start getting into vintage cards a little more, and I don't go to shows much so I would be doing most of my buying on eBay. What do you guys suggest to avoid buying fakes? Stick to graded items? I am new to vintage so I am not sure what to look for; so any tips would be appreciated.

See the link below. I know it isn't baseball, but that shouldn't matter. Looking to pick up a Jim Taylor RC, but this auction looks too good to be true. The cards look too white and clean to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-Topps-...US_Football&hash=item1c22ccb5ee#ht_500wt_1191

Djarum

Oct 7, 2010
Kentucky
Agreed ... on buying graded on the high dollar/big name cards. For the lower end, just be smart about what your looking for and wanting in return. As for the auction your looking at, the card may look like that. Just make sure you read descriptions and check out all scans they have. I see no problem trying at that auction. $2.99 +ship isn't that much to lose.

Dale

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Djarum said:
Agreed ... on buying graded on the high dollar/big name cards. For the lower end, just be smart about what your looking for and wanting in return. As for the auction your looking at, the card may look like that. Just make sure you read descriptions and check out all scans they have. I see no problem trying at that auction. $2.99 +ship isn't that much to lose.

Dale

When buying raw vintage I use the seller's feedback to guide my decision, someone with 1000 feedback is unlikely to pass off a reprint as original for $3, someone who owns an eBay store would be even less likely to do that. Also ask sellers if they accept returns I always do this when in doubt, then I ask a buddy of mine who is a vintage expert and if he doesn't like it I'll usually send it back.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008
I agree that it is probably safer buying vintage that has been graded...but finding a reputable vintage seller helps alot---there are alot of good ones that sell high quality ungraded cards.... The Taylor card can be found in that condition no problem.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
George_Calfas said:
wolfmanalfredo said:
ThoseBackPages said:
For peace of mind i recommend you go graded when buying cards online

Agreed
Yes, for big name high dollar items.

Exactly!

I buy alot of what I'm looking for raw, but know the sets in which you're buying. Know the signs of altering and trimming, and do atleast enough research so that you are confident that what you're buying is authentic. As Eric posted above, for the strongest piece of mind, go for graded. It might run you a little bit more then raw, but on questionable sets, and star cards, you'll atleast know its real and unaltered

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Like the others have said I would stick to graded versions of higher end cards until you really get the feel for what cards should look like and what people do to alter certain sets. As someone else said though you can find some really good deal on vintage ungraded if you know what your looking at. I just picked up the SCD (sports collectors digest) 2012 Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball cards of their site a week ago for 10 bucks and it has info about each set everything from what size the cards should be to the errors in each set and pictures of every set. For 10-20 bucks I would say its a great tool to start with.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Excellent advice from SilverandBlack. Educate yourself as-much-as possible on every aspect of whatever you decided to collect. Never stop learning, either. Once you think you have a set figured out, some little intricacy will pop up. The sooner you can stop buying graded cards for authenticity sake, the better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts