Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone notice the polarizing season Kyle Schwarber just had?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
47 HRs (2nd in MLB), 126 BB (2nd), 215 Ks (1st), and a .197 BA (Last) . He's taking 3 true outcomes to another level.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
It gives true meaning to "go big or go home." He's also ranked 11th with 104 RBIs. If you're the Phillies, or any team for that matter, you have to be excited with those numbers. He helped literally lift them up into the playoffs. But would you want to pay 19 Million a year for that?

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
Personally, I think he was mismanaged. He should have never batted leadoff with a sub .200 avg. and 200+ strikeouts. Not that he would have saw the same pitches in a different part of the order but 47 hrs would have gone a lot further in the number 6 spot in the order. 47 HR potential should translate to more than 104 RBI's when used properly.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Personally, I think he was mismanaged. He should have never batted leadoff with a sub .200 avg. and 200+ strikeouts. Not that he would have saw the same pitches in a different part of the order but 47 hrs would have gone a lot further in the number 6 spot in the order. 47 HR potential should translate to more than 104 RBI's when used properly.
.343 OBP. 2nd on the team to Harper. Where else would you hit him?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sounds like he and Muncy had similar seasons. Lots of HRs and RBIs, not so great BAs.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
.343 OBP. 2nd on the team to Harper. Where else would you hit him?

Actually, third in OBP. Marsh sits at .372

With his league leading 215 strikeouts I would bat him fifth or sixth. 15 of his HR's were to lead off a game and 30 were solo shots. He did not steal one base all year which is a red flag in the spot of the order where you want a run creator and almost half of his runs scored were self-generated by his homeruns. Get him behind a couple of players that get on base and utilize his power to generate more runs instead of hoping the 8 and 9 batters set the table for him as evidenced by the disproportionate amount of solo shots.

I think the Yankees make this same mistake batting Judge second. Bat him 3rd, he still gets a plate appearance in the first inning but with a higher chance of a player getting on base in front of him.

What do I know though.....just my opinion.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Actually, third in OBP. Marsh sits at .372

With his league leading 215 strikeouts I would bat him fifth or sixth. 15 of his HR's were to lead off a game and 30 were solo shots. He did not steal one base all year which is a red flag in the spot of the order where you want a run creator and almost half of his runs scored were self-generated by his homeruns. Get him behind a couple of players that get on base and utilize his power to generate more runs instead of hoping the 8 and 9 batters set the table for him as evidenced by the disproportionate amount of solo shots.

I think the Yankees make this same mistake batting Judge second. Bat him 3rd, he still gets a plate appearance in the first inning but with a higher chance of a player getting on base in front of him.

What do I know though.....just my opinion.
Marsh is a platoon guy (472 PAs) though so I excluded him. Obviously if Marsh could put up 600 PAs with that kind of OBP you hit him first. The lowest I'd hit Schwarber is 3rd. He's actually kind of the prototypical 3 hitter now but with that roster he almost has to hit leadoff. If Turner gets back to his .350+ OBP ways then you absolutely bump Schwarber down to third behind Turner and Harper.

Judge hitting second is best. That's where your best hitter goes from a run expectancy standpoint.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I was surprised that Turner wasn't leading off, but Turner's numbers were abysmal the first four months. Since traditional baseball wisdom is out the window these days, and given that Schwarber had 11 leadoff homers this year, I would say it wasn't all bad. But I wouldn't be surprised if next year they tried a lineup like...
Turner
Stott
Harper
Schwarber
Hoskins
Realmuto
assuming everyone comes back and is healthy.

Members online

Latest posts