Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

------AUGUST 2012 PSA GROUP SUB------

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Trimmed or altered typically.

Should I be surprised a modern card like a Manning rookie would be trimmed?It's very interesting they would grade some of the O-Pee-Chee box panels, yet others they wouldn't.Virtually impossible to cut them perfectly, no?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Registered mail is slow; cads arrived yesterday and I will pick them up today (Tuesday). I plan to package as quickly as I can; please bare with me I am a tad busy this week. I will PM everyone to verify return addresses.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
SINFULONE said:
What is "N6 : Minimum Size Requirement"?Cards didn't meet minimum grade?

Trimmed or altered typically.

Actually, N6 Min Size indicates that card is slightly smaller than typical and they didn't see evidence of after market trimming. If it was trimmed, it would have been marked N1 Evidence of Trimming.

• N-1 Evidence of Trimming - When a card's edge has been altered, a card doctor may use scissors, scalpel, cutter, or any other cutting instrument. A trimmed card may show one of the following: Hook up or down, have one razor sharp edge, a difference in toning along the edge, a wavy look.
  • N-2 Evidence of Restoration - When a card's paper stock is built up - for example, when ripped corners are built up to look like new corners.
  • N-3 Evidence of Recoloration - Where a card's color has been artificially improved.
  • N-4 Questionable Authenticity - This is the term used when a card is counterfeit.
  • N-5 Altered Stock - This term is used when the paper stock is altered in one or more of the following ways: Stretching and trimming, recoloring and restoring, trimming and recoloring, restoring and trimming, crease or wrinkle is pressed out, or gloss is enhanced.
  • N-6 Minimum Size Requirement - When a card is significantly undersized according to factory specifications. You will be given a voucher good for another submission for the same type of service.
  • N-7 Evidence of Cleaning - When a whitener is used to whiten borders or a solution is used to remove wax, candy, gum or tobacco stains.
  • N-8 Miscut - This term is used when the factory cut is an abnormal cut. The grading fees are returned. You will be given a voucher good for another submission for the same type of service.
  • N-9 Don't Grade - When we do not grade an issue. The cards may be oversized or an obscure issue. The grading fees are refunded. You will be given a voucher good for another submission for the same type of service.
  • N-0 Authentic Only - This means that PSA is only certifying that the item is genuine, without a numerical grade. This may be due to the existence of an alteration, one with malice or otherwise, a major defect or the original submitter may have requested that PSA encapsulate the card without a grade. The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Well, as I cut the box panels, I assume I cut them down just slightly below acceptable for PSA. As for the others being graded...I really try to be as attentive to detail as possible. Some of the box panel cards actually have "guidelines" that are below regular size, so I'm assuming that that is what happened with the rejected ones I sent in. Basically, I'd have to cut them larger with some of the black/printed cut lines showing. IE: gaudy.

As for the Manning, not sure if you ever opened Gold Label Topps products, but the sizing was unfortunately not consistent throughout those releases. Assuming it had to do with the almost plastic like stock and difficultly to cut easily.

Should I be surprised a modern card like a Manning rookie would be trimmed?It's very interesting they would grade some of the O-Pee-Chee box panels, yet others they wouldn't.Virtually impossible to cut them perfectly, no?

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
Basically, I'd have to cut them larger with some of the black/printed cut lines showing. IE: gaudy.
That is exactly what PSA wants.

http://www.psacard.com/services/psa_grading_standards.chtml said:
[h=3]The Grading of Hand-Cut Cards[/h]PSA will grade virtually any card that has been hand-cut off of a panel, box, etc. (Post Cereal, Hostess, Bazooka, Strip cards, etc.) keeping the following information in mind. This service does not include traditional sheet-cut cards. PSA will not grade cards cut from sheets that can be obtained in a normal fashion. For example, PSA will not grade a 1979 O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky card cut from a sheet because that card was issued in non-sheet form. On the other hand, PSA will grade a 1959 Bazooka or 1961 Post Cereal Mickey Mantle because those cards could only be obtained in one fashion - removed by hand from a box or panel.
In order for PSA to actually assign a grade to any of the cards that possess visible/defined borders on all four sides, evidence of that border must be present. If the cut exceeds the visible border for the card in question, PSA will encapsulate the card as "Authentic" only. If the card is severely undersized and suffers in overall eye appeal, the graders may deem the card not suitable for authentication or reject the card as minimum-sized altogether.
Keep in mind that, for cards that do not possess visible/defined borders, the cards must still fall within a certain size requirement for that particular issue in order to qualify for an actual grade. In other words, the borders must be virtually full in order for a grade to be rendered. Otherwise, as stated above, a label of "Authentic" will be assigned or, in some cases, the cards may fall short of the size requirement altogether. This is not an exact science. PSA will do its best to provide consistent guidelines for these types of cards.
In addition, PSA will allow cards that have had a coupon or tab removed from the original card to be submitted under this service. For example, if a 1952 Red Man Tobacco card is cut at or outside of the established tab line, the card would be eligible to receive a numerical grade. On the other hand, if the 1952 Red Man Tobacco card is cut inside of the line (the line where the tab meets the interior of the card), then the PSA graders will be precluded from entering a numerical grade. Cards that are cut within the limits established for a particular issue will be encapsulated and designated as "authentic" by PSA. All of the cards eligible for this service will be designated as "Hand-Cut" on the PSA label to distinguish them from the intact, "with tab" or "with coupon" examples.
PSA suggests that, in order to achieve the highest grades, the cuts of the cards should be relatively close to the visible borders without exceeding the limit. Cards that exhibit a clean, accurate and properly shaped cut have the best chance at achieving the highest grades. Eye appeal is very important. When it comes to excess paper or cardboard around the edges of the visible borders, the graders will place significant importance on overall eye appeal. Keep in mind that all cards of this type will be designated as "Hand-Cut" on the PSA label for accuracy. In addition, if the customer chooses, PSA will grade and encapsulate entire panels if those panels will fit in any of our current PSA holders. With the exception of the aforementioned items, normal grading criteria will apply.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
That is exactly what PSA wants.

But the weird thing is that's actually not true on all box bottoms. For example, 1986 Topps box bottoms have two different size cards. The bottom two cards are slightly taller and will trim without the black border at 2.5 x 3.5, whereas the top two cards from the 4-card panel measure in about an 1/8" shorter - and therefore get graded an N6.

I think in non-standard sizes, the "border in tact" concept makes sense because the cards were actually all issued with separate borders, IE: Hostess, Post, etc.

But modern box bottoms vary from including borders, to not including borders, and sizing oddities. Regardless, I know more for this next submission (although I might wait until November's sub).

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Actually, N6 Min Size indicates that card is slightly smaller than typical and they didn't see evidence of after market trimming. If it was trimmed, it would have been marked N1 Evidence of Trimming.

• N-1 Evidence of Trimming - When a card's edge has been altered, a card doctor may use scissors, scalpel, cutter, or any other cutting instrument. A trimmed card may show one of the following: Hook up or down, have one razor sharp edge, a difference in toning along the edge, a wavy look.
  • N-2 Evidence of Restoration - When a card's paper stock is built up - for example, when ripped corners are built up to look like new corners.
  • N-3 Evidence of Recoloration - Where a card's color has been artificially improved.
  • N-4 Questionable Authenticity - This is the term used when a card is counterfeit.
  • N-5 Altered Stock - This term is used when the paper stock is altered in one or more of the following ways: Stretching and trimming, recoloring and restoring, trimming and recoloring, restoring and trimming, crease or wrinkle is pressed out, or gloss is enhanced.
  • N-6 Minimum Size Requirement - When a card is significantly undersized according to factory specifications. You will be given a voucher good for another submission for the same type of service.
  • N-7 Evidence of Cleaning - When a whitener is used to whiten borders or a solution is used to remove wax, candy, gum or tobacco stains.
  • N-8 Miscut - This term is used when the factory cut is an abnormal cut. The grading fees are returned. You will be given a voucher good for another submission for the same type of service.
  • N-9 Don't Grade - When we do not grade an issue. The cards may be oversized or an obscure issue. The grading fees are refunded. You will be given a voucher good for another submission for the same type of service.
  • N-0 Authentic Only - This means that PSA is only certifying that the item is genuine, without a numerical grade. This may be due to the existence of an alteration, one with malice or otherwise, a major defect or the original submitter may have requested that PSA encapsulate the card without a grade. The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more.

That is good to know.So PSA won't grade Topps mini cards then?

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Well, as I cut the box panels, I assume I cut them down just slightly below acceptable for PSA. As for the others being graded...I really try to be as attentive to detail as possible. Some of the box panel cards actually have "guidelines" that are below regular size, so I'm assuming that that is what happened with the rejected ones I sent in. Basically, I'd have to cut them larger with some of the black/printed cut lines showing. IE: gaudy.

As for the Manning, not sure if you ever opened Gold Label Topps products, but the sizing was unfortunately not consistent throughout those releases. Assuming it had to do with the almost plastic like stock and difficultly to cut easily.

What did you cut the box panels with?I had some old Fleer panels I tried cutting with scissors, and they look like crap.I would assume paper cutter?That sucks Topps couldn't make the panels equal size.PSA couln't make some qualifier for them?

Don't open NFL cards anymore, but I have some '80s cards that you can tell they weren't cut equally when you stack them.Is BGS just as strict with those cards?

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Uh...no, they will. They are supposed to be small, so they will grade them. Key word here is FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS

That is good to know.Has anyone ever graded any of those Topps Big cards?Do they encapsolate cards in slabs way too big just like BGS does?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
DC's.....No mail service Monday

Erik- 03121430000081936690
Aaron- 03121430000081936683
Mike (200)- 03121430000081936713
Scott- 03121430000081936706
Wayne- 03121430000081936669
Ryan- 03121430000081936676
Mike (G)- 03121430000081936737
Justin- 03121430000081936720

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
DC's.....No mail service Monday

Erik- 03121430000081936690
Aaron- 03121430000081936683
Mike (200)- 03121430000081936713
Scott- 03121430000081936706
Wayne- 03121430000081936669
Ryan- 03121430000081936676
Mike (G)- 03121430000081936737
Justin- 03121430000081936720

Much thanks.How often do you submit to PSA?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Whenever I have a bit of free time; I have been with PSA since the company started and have the system down. I once was a huge registry guy so PSA was once a monthly habit.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Whenever I have a bit of free time; I have been with PSA since the company started and have the system down. I once was a huge registry guy so PSA was once a monthly habit.

That is impressive loyalty.Never understood PSA set registry until the other day at my shop here.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Check out these ridiculously sized slabs.First card was only a fraction of an inch over standard size card.

P1010308.jpg

P1010309.jpg

Members online

Latest posts