Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Autographs with no COA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
How familiar are you with your PC player's autograph that you can simply look at an auto on a ball or bat and just take the seller's word for it; assuming you have no reason to be suspicious of said seller.

With me, I'm to the point that I feel I know Yount's sig well enough that I'd buy a ball or something without a COA from anyone important, provided I could get a deep discount because of the lack of COA.

Thoughts?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
When it comes to Perkins, I'm fairly certain on what his signature looks like. It also helps that it's not a really common thing to fake his signature.

I also buy a lot from Minnesota graphers that I "trust," so I'm always 100% certain when I buy non-cert stuff.

Now, I'm working on a large political autograph project that spans roughly 150 years back. That gets difficult because the sigs are "rare" and there isn't a way to authenticate most of them. A lot of times, I just go with my gut on that.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I feel pretty confident about how well I can identify Johnny-O's auto, but I generally only buy certified auto cards. Any others I have are IP or TTM.

That being said, I've seen a few PSA/DNA certified on eBay that look nothing like his signature. Who knows?

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tikitomoka

Jul 27, 2009
There's no reason to look for COA's if you know what you're looking at. PSA/JSA are rip-offs and are for people that can't manage to recognize autographs for themselves.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
There's no reason to look for COA's if you know what you're looking at. PSA/JSA are rip-offs and are for people that can't manage to recognize autographs for themselves.

A fake can get by anybody. That said, if it's a player I'm not really familiar with autograph wise, I'd go with them over my own guess. With Bagwell, I'm pretty comfortable.

Dec 10, 2008
I'm at the point where I am 99.99% positive if a McGwire's signature is real or fake, and it's almost instantaneous. I've been collecting him for 25 years though.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
I have several '69 Mets autographed items that don't have COA's. I've gotten to the point where I'm totally comfortable with being able to distinguish between real or fake.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I'm pretty good at spotting Rickey's. It varies some, but his R and H are usually always the same. Some of his cards have a loopy thing and the end of Henderson and I figure that's from signing a lot at a time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
His Tier 1 is what I consider his true auto. His Leaf buybacks have the loopy thing, but are still legit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Close to 100%; though there is one subset of autos that I'm not sure about. Either there was a prolific forger, or Frank had a very specific signature for card shows and paid signings early on...I haven't decided which I believe yet.

Here's an early one I picked up for a whole $10 the other day...100% legit.

img449_zpsa28e24c8.jpg

Here's another that may be no good, but I'm not convinced it's not legit.

1990FTAuto.jpg

I have multiple examples of each...the first is very typical of 1990-91; the second, is said to be from a paid signing, though there are several collectors who are skeptical of this.

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
I'm pretty confident as well. Though it took some time with Tiger Woods to feel confident. I like autos and memorabilia more than cards. I have studied a lot of autographs one thing I have picked up each player has there own mannerism and they don't vary to often. They sign in the same spot same angle and given the choice same color of ink ...

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
Close to 100%; though there is one subset of autos that I'm not sure about. Either there was a prolific forger, or Frank had a very specific signature for card shows and paid signings early on...I haven't decided which I believe yet.

Here's an early one I picked up for a whole $10 the other day...100% legit.

img449_zpsa28e24c8.jpg

Here's another that may be no good, but I'm not convinced it's not legit.

1990FTAuto.jpg

I have multiple examples of each...the first is very typical of 1990-91; the second, is said to be from a paid signing, though there are several collectors who are skeptical of this.

Speaking of players having different signatures for paid appearances shows or public appearances I ran into one recently. Joe Morgan changed his sig completely while he was doing a freebie appearance for a charity. The J was completely different and it went down hill from there. The only thing that looked the same was the last part of his last name. When I paid $125 for his graph he was in great spirits friendly and out going. When he wasn't getting paid he was standoffish very short and acted like he didn't want to be there

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Speaking of players having different signatures for paid appearances shows or public appearances I ran into one recently. Joe Morgan changed his sig completely while he was doing a freebie appearance for a charity. The J was completely different and it went down hill from there. The only thing that looked the same was the last part of his last name. When I paid $125 for his graph he was in great spirits friendly and out going. When he wasn't getting paid he was standoffish very short and acted like he didn't want to be there

There are a lot of players that give crappy signatures for free but do a way better job when they are getting paid.

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
There are a lot of players that give crappy signatures for free but do a way better job when they are getting paid.

Yes I have seen guys shorten their sig or scribble something down that resembles their graph but not go out of the way to change it like he did. Even a drunken John Daly autograph was better lol

Members online

Latest posts