Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Eastern League Top 20 Prospects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
EASTERN LEAGUE
TOP 20 PROSPECTS
1. Bryce Harper, of, Harrisburg Senators (Nationals)
2. Travis D'Arnaud, c, New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays)
3. Anthony Gose, of, New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays)
4. Brad Peacock, rhp, Harrisburg Senators (Nationals)
5. Jacob Turner, rhp, Erie Seawolves (Tigers)
6. Manny Banuelos, lhp, Trenton Thunder (Yankees)
7. Starling Marte, of, Altoona Curve (Pirates)
8. Will Middlebrooks, 3b, Portland Seadogs (Red Sox)
9. Dellin Betances, rhp, Trenton Thunder (Yankees)
10. Henderson Alvarez, rhp, New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays)
11. Eric Surkamp, lhp, Richmond Flying Squirrels (Giants)
12. Derek Norris, c, Harrisburg Senators (Nationals)
13. Jeurys Familia, rhp, Binghamton Mets
14. Francisco Peguero, of, Richmond Flying Squirrels (Giants)
15. Ryan Lavarnway, c, Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox)
16. Francisco Martinez, 3b, Erie Seawolves (Tigers)
17. Austin Romine, c, Trenton Thunder (Yankees)
18. Chih-Hsien Chiang, of, Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox)
19. Adeiny Hechavarria, ss, New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays)
20. Kyle McPherson, rhp, Altoona Curve (Pirates)

tooly22

Feb 14, 2009
New Hampshire
KC37 said:
Mike McDade still getting no love.

No doubt his knee injury (torn meniscus in his left knee) in mid July hurt his chances of making this list. He was playing on one leg from just after the All Star Break through the end of the year. In August he had 3 extra base hits and hit .219 after putting up solid numbers to that point. The guy mashes the ball and for a guy of his size is an excellent defensive 1Bman and I wouldnt be shocked if he had a decent major league career.

Real nice to see my Fishercats well represented. They were an exciting team to watch and I guess we can thank the Phillies for much of that with former Phils d'Arnaud, Gose and big Sal Fasano.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
For those wondering why Harvey missed out:

@Jaypers413 (IL): Did Matt Harvey not pitch enough to qualify? If he had, about where would you have ranked him? What did scouts like and dislike about him this season?

John Manuel: Speaking of the Mets, who seem to have contributed half of Puerto Rico's World Cup team ... Harvey did pitch enough to qualify, and he's in that 21-25 group. The guys I talked to who saw him in the EL thought his stuff was inconsistent and his inexperience showed a bit in terms of setting up hitters and pitch sequence, but he didn't miss by much. On a top 100, I'd imagine he'd go ahead of Kyle McPherson, for example. In McPherson's favor, he has a better changeup and actually threw a bit harder than Harvey, but he's also older. McPherson was better in the league, that swayed me to give him the 20th spot. People in the league definitely liked Familia better because of his loose arm and better fastball. But Harvey's upside remains very high.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Jaypers said:

@Jaypers413 (IL): Did Matt Harvey not pitch enough to qualify? If he had, about where would you have ranked him? What did scouts like and dislike about him this season?

John Manuel: Speaking of the Mets, who seem to have contributed half of Puerto Rico's World Cup team ... Harvey did pitch enough to qualify, and he's in that 21-25 group. The guys I talked to who saw him in the EL thought his stuff was inconsistent and his inexperience showed a bit in terms of setting up hitters and pitch sequence, but he didn't miss by much. On a top 100, I'd imagine he'd go ahead of Kyle McPherson, for example. In McPherson's favor, he has a better changeup and actually threw a bit harder than Harvey, but he's also older. McPherson was better in the league, that swayed me to give him the 20th spot. People in the league definitely liked Familia better because of his loose arm and better fastball. But Harvey's upside remains very high.

Thank god. Someone is finally not riding Harvey's junk. People are all cracked up about this guy because he blew away A ball players early in the year. It's about time a down-to-earth analysis of him silences people.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
aminors said:
Jaypers said:

Thank god. Someone is finally not riding Harvey's junk. People are all cracked up about this guy because he blew away A ball players early in the year. It's about time a down-to-earth analysis of him silences people.

Double A seems to be the proving ground for college pitchers. Harvey was an advanced pitcher going up against hitters purely working on development. It would have already been a wasted pick for the mets if he hadnt dominated at those levels.

Members online

Latest posts