Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Jim Callis Presents - Mock Draft V 1.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soxrchamps07

Aug 7, 2008
Wow, has Ranado's stock fallen. I guess thats what 3 poor starts will do for you. I would be estatic if the Sox would be able to snag him.

I'm kind of surprised that Austin Wilson not on this list. I realize his commitment to Standford is a pretty big obstacle and that he will probably command a huge bonus (Rumored to be 4 Million to lure him away from Standford) but, I could see the Sox taking a chance on him.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
outside of covey, i would be very displeased if the angels 1st round looked like that.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
jbhofmann said:
Where does Justin O conner project in the field? I know he catches, SS, and Pitches.

He lives very close to me and Indiana HS players are rarely at the top of the MLB Draft.
BA has reported, and I spoke with Conor Glassey about this, there are literally separate GM's who see him at SS, 3B, C, and SP. I think SP is the least likely at this point, and will be more of a fall-back option, as he isn't that refined with his repertoire. I'd say most teams will believe in giving him a shot at C to begin.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
jlecates said:
jbhofmann said:
Where does Justin O conner project in the field? I know he catches, SS, and Pitches.

He lives very close to me and Indiana HS players are rarely at the top of the MLB Draft.
BA has reported, and I spoke with Conor Glassey about this, there are literally separate GM's who see him at SS, 3B, C, and SP. I think SP is the least likely at this point, and will be more of a fall-back option, as he isn't that refined with his repertoire. I'd say most teams will believe in giving him a shot at C to begin.

Poor Man's Buster Posey?

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
jbhofmann said:
jlecates said:
jbhofmann said:

Poor Man's Buster Posey?
You know that was my first thought when he was moving from short to catcher during last fall's World Wood Bat Tournament. Honestly though O'Conner probably has more raw power, and a little better arm. I don't want to say he'll be in the same class as Posey, because Posey has improved so much in the past 3 years, but O'Conner is a really interesting guy to keep an eye on. Personally I think if he didn't play in the Midwest he would probably be slated to go even a little higher - his stock could go up even more once personal workouts begin with teams before the draft.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
His high school has about 300 kids total. All the teams they play are pretty small schools.
I picked up AFLACs just because hes local.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Maybe it's me but it would appear that the Blue Jays f'd the draft on purpose last year.

I'm being told someone other than the Royals pick that Callis has from my guy w/ the team. I sure hope it doesn't happen either way.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
justinmandawg said:
Maybe it's me but it would appear that the Blue Jays f'd the draft on purpose last year.

I wouldn't go that far, especially with Paxton, but I've heard from numerous people that once the deadline rolled around they made no attempt whatsoever to sign Eilopoulos (which is looking wise) and the other guy (Barrett?).

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Jake Barrett failed his physical with the Jays, the Jays never fully checked him out before they drafted him. Eliopolis was asking for more money than they Jays had slotted for him. Not quite sure about Paxton, from what I heard there was only a 300K difference in what Paxton was asking for and what the Jays had offered. I'm sure Borass had something to do with it. At the time all of Jays nation was furious about not signing the three picks. JP gave some lame excuse that the budget was cut back at the last minute. I don't think that the Jays did this on purpose, that would mean that they had a plan going in to the draft. It was a royal cluster****.

Both Barrett and Eliopolis have struggled and Paxton got booted out of school for all the shenanigans involving Boras. I'm hoping the Jays do draft Paxton again if he is still around in the supplemental rd.

jpruitt2

Aug 11, 2008
Searcy, Arkansas
Is this the same Zack Cox that plays 3rd for Arkansas? If so, I am a little suprised to see him that high. He is a small 3rd baseman with little power. I know he hits for a high average, but you just don't see many players at that position like that.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
jpruitt2 said:
Is this the same Zack Cox that plays 3rd for Arkansas? If so, I am a little suprised to see him that high. He is a small 3rd baseman with little power. I know he hits for a high average, but you just don't see many players at that position like that.
He is the one. He actually checks in at about 215-220 lbs. right now, and around six feet tall, so lack of size isn't so much an issue. Coming into the season it was expected that his power would continue to play but the hit tool was questionable and inconsistent. In a weird way though he has moved up draft boards by changing his profile a bit; he has sacrificed some pop in exchange for a better approach at the plate and a more refined hitting ability - right now a number of teams actually view him as an offensive-minded second baseman (might not stick at 3B defensively).

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
this is the third mock draft I've seen the O's taking Tallion. Can anyone give their opinions on him?

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
markakis8 said:
this is the third mock draft I've seen the O's taking Tallion. Can anyone give their opinions on him?

He's one of the best high school pitchers in recent times. If it wasn't for Harper, he'd be the #1 rated player in this draft.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
markakis8 said:
Big Texas kid, to use the cliche - 6'6'' and around 225 lbs. Fastball sits in the mid 90's, reaching upper 90's. Very good, sharp curveball, and a solid though under-used slider. Solid mechanics. Good command of all his pitches. Only knock on him would be that he is maxed out physically and doesn't have as much projection left, though clearly he is the best prep pitcher out there.

asufan

May 15, 2010
we're glad that barrett supposedly failed his physical with the jays and is struggling with us right now-sits 95 to 96 on his fastball, topping out at 98-averaging 14k's per nine innings-era is mid 3's-conference era is barely over one-has an above average slider as well-not bad for an 18 year old kid "struggling" in the pac 10-too bad toronto didn't sign him in the third round-doesn't look like he'll make it that far in his next draft.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Teams have concerns with Robert due to his Florida scholly. Florida doesn't lose people. He is a late 1st rounder if he gives off the vibe that he is signable to a team that doesn't mind spending and fits the profile that the Braves, Angels, and Rays like: players that have not picked up any bad habits and have room to grow at a fast pace.

Members online

Latest posts