Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett suing COMC over database

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Beckett as an price guide became irrelevant 1 second after Ebay opened for business. it was the first place i went when i got my 1'st computer. oh those memorable days of dial-up, when any second i just might loose an auction after getting bumped off (actually happened more than once).

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
No problem. Had it been personal cell or email, I would have set my torch on fire to pair up with your pitch fork.

good to know you have boundaries RE: posting peoples info on a baseball card message board. Happy to see that your moral composition is strong enough to see the difference between posting someone's professional bio or something more intimate like their email which would require you being upset. Kudos Athony K

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
good to know you have boundaries RE: posting peoples info on a baseball card message board. Happy to see that your moral composition is strong enough to see the difference between posting someone's professional bio or something more intimate like their email which would require you being upset. Kudos Athony K

I'm glad my moral compass could bring such happiness into your life. I'm happier knowing you are happy. Congrats Lance
Mountain
Sent from my SM-N900V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Great. So to summarize you are fine with Austin posting a professional bio of a person including work email, schooling, name, phone, picture and address without the person's knowledge because "you can google it" but if someone was too simply post an email then that's where you become Batman and will fight the good fight...

Anthony K, everyone......

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Great. So to summarize you are fine with Austin posting a professional bio of a person including work email, schooling, name, phone, picture and address without the person's knowledge because "you can google it" but if someone was too simply post an email then that's where you become Batman and will fight the good fight...

Anthony K, everyone......

Thank you, Great White Knight.

And no, that is not where I will fight the good fight.

I was being a sarcastic ******* in the second post. I couldn't care less what was posted, publicly known or not.

Not that it matters now, with the post gone and all.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What are you upset about?
It was a link to a public bio page on Jeff's law firm's website (meant for the public to look at) that took five seconds to Google after you posted about missing him.
You act like I linked secret personal information. It wasn't meant to mock or upset or be sarcastic.
But I deleted it since it apparently offended you. (not meant to be sarcastic)

Last edited:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
About time. Beckett is on it's way out. I can't wait to see the finished product from COMC.

Agreed.

As has been stated, Beckett is becoming less and relevant in the hobby. It has it's uses as a checklist resource but as a price guide it's useless. I see the suit as a drowning person trying to grab onto anything it can to try to stay afloat.

I"m a big COMC fan and can't wait to see their revamped system.

- Rodrick

A_Pharis

Agreed.

As has been stated, Beckett is becoming less and relevant in the hobby. It has it's uses as a checklist resource but as a price guide it's useless. I see the suit as a drowning person trying to grab onto anything it can to try to stay afloat.

I"m a big COMC fan and can't wait to see their revamped system.

- Rodrick

Becoming? It's been forever since I've been able to use the publication as a real source on product releases. They only list the "hot" players at the time, and you hardly get any checklist information on past releases.

It's a struggling publication that's attacking out of spite toward an up-and-coming site that is actually doing ok.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
My first thought is that beckett is going to sue COMC to put them out of business by forcing them to pay legal fees to keep defending themselves

That would be the SCO Group business model. Don't produce anything anymore, just sue others over alleged copyright/trademark/trade secret infringement. Until eventually no one will do business with you and you collapse into bankruptcy by trying to sue those who are MUCH, MUCH larger and more powerful than you when it turns out you had no claim to begin with.

Last edited:

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I used Beckett when I first got back into the hobby, because it was what I knew from when I was kid.

This generation of collectors knows ebay value, and forums, and social media. I also see this as a blatant attempt to try and hurt a competitor because they know COMC is the future. COMC is coming out with a price guide using real data, as opposed to the dart board beckett has used for decades.

The past few years I've just ignored Beckett. Now I will do everything in my power to never spend a dime on any of their products, and actively encourage others to do the same. Beckett is lucky that I placed a Marketplace order yesterday, because I don't care if every single card I've ever wanted appeared today for $1 on there, I'm NEVER ordering anything from them again.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I find it odd that Beckett would say nobody can compile pricing but them. Or that nobody does. But what I do fear is if they get in good or better than they are with Panini and Topps, could they not get direct and sole access to pre release checklists and have the data to begin and publish a checklist before anyone else? If so, and it's done before a company releases the info on their website, then they'd always be first and the information would kind of belong to them right?

Besides, how can you compile a checklist without listing the cards the way they do (minus the typos) and not have it look totally off? The way they list their stuff is the way any normal person would.

Members online

Latest posts