Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bowman's Best and Bowman Series 2 Returning (Bowman Sterling Going Bye Bye)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Me likey. :mrgreen:

http://www.beckett.com/news/2015/03/toppsnews/

TOPPS REVIVES BOWMAN’S BEST AND PLANS CHANGES TO HERITAGE HIGH NUMBER, RELEASE SCHEDULE

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Topps will be shaking up its prospecting lines later this year and bringing a non-prospecting brand back into packs, the company announced Tuesday at the Industry Summit in Las Vegas.

First, this year will mark the return of Bowman’s Best, a brand that has been on the shelf since 2007. It was introduced in 1994 and was a hobby mainstay for years before taking a break in 2006 and then returning for a one-and-done campaign as an autograph-driven product eight years ago. The brand was also one that Topps used in football, basketball and hockey through the years.

Also returning to the Bowman fold will be a Series 2 of the standard Bowman line, which will allow the product a wider array of players and a checklist with more continuity, particularly if there are two series of Bowman along with Bowman Draft. It was 1999 when Bowman was last split into two in-pack series. That had been a common practice during the late-1990s, though it was not done on a yearly basis.

Each of these returning brands will replace a Bowman-branded line, so expect two products to come off the calendar from last year. One confirmed done will be Bowman Sterling.

Not under the Bowman umbrella for prospects is Topps Heritage High Number, and it will return in pack form this year for the first time since 2009. Topps released the Heritage update in packs in 2008 and 2009 along with a few basic Topps Update cards in every pack before placing the season-capper into boxed set form in 2012, which has been the routine since then.

Could more returns be possible or “lost” lines return elsewhere? In recent years, Topps has explored online-only releases such as Turkey Red and Topps Mini. It’s not a reach to expect that the company will be readying more lines that way as well for the upcoming baseball year.

In other baseball news, the company announced that Strata will become a standalone line and it has pushed up products so there are fewer released after the season ends.

For other sports, WWE Undisputed will be a first attempt at a high-end wrestling line. It also will try High Tek in football and release a football set called Diamond as part of its 60th anniversary celebration.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'm wondering if Bowman Chrome BB is going to return this year? Gotta ask the Bowman team. The last time we had two series of Bowman was in the late 90's (before Draft), so I'm wondering if we will have Bowman 1, Bowman 2, BC and Draft in one year?

Will let you know what I find out.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I like this. Sterling is great for MLB logo rookie cards. I think Trout sells for a few hundred. Probably the best non-auto'd RC's. The RC logo and prospect on-card autos are also pretty rad. The rest of the line is garbage.

Platinum is a stop-gap between Bowman and BC. Unneeded product.

Bowman's Best was awesome. Wonder if it's gonna be new design or retro. Regardless, that and Bowman series 2 are way better than Platinum and Sterling

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
I like that they are shelving some products that really got pretty tired over the last 4-5 years, but (as expected) this announcement doesn't help the glut of releases.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
2004 Bowman's Best is one of my favorite looking modern sets.
The on-card autographed rookies like Felix Hernandez looked gorgeous with the sparkly glitter design. Scans don't show how bedazzled they are in person.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Will best bring back atomic refractors? those were so cool.

Picture155-1.jpg

Last edited:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I like this. Sterling is great for MLB logo rookie cards. I think Trout sells for a few hundred. Probably the best non-auto'd RC's. The RC logo and prospect on-card autos are also pretty rad. The rest of the line is garbage.

Platinum is a stop-gap between Bowman and BC. Unneeded product.

Bowman's Best was awesome. Wonder if it's gonna be new design or retro. Regardless, that and Bowman series 2 are way better than Platinum and Sterling

Agree with this. 2007 Bowman's Best was not a bad product in my opinion. 9 autos a box and you usually hit a vet nicer vet guys. The rookies were mostly scrubs tho.

I definitely like it better than Sterling or Platinum.

Members online

Latest posts