Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Break-In, collection stolen--La Mesa/San Diego residents...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
A_Pharis said:
Your average everyday thief isn't going to take sports memorabilia. When I lived with my bro and his house got broken into, they didn't even MOVE any of my boxes or signed bats, balls or hats (including a Mantle 8x10).
Depending on what else was stolen, I'd venture to guess it was someone who knew you had it and knew they could move it (another reason robbers don't take sports stuff -- they don't know how to move it to buyers).

One thing you (and everyone) need to remember is that Facebook can be browsed without being your friend for information. ALl it takes is someone looking to score to link your name from here/facebook to your address and schedule.

are you saying an fcb member did this?
Well at least we can rule you out for the intelligence factor.

and the fact ive never been to san diego.......
And the fact you have no fracking clue where San Diego is.

southern california

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
miguelcabrera said:
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
[quote="A_Pharis":2oidzxxy]Your average everyday thief isn't going to take sports memorabilia. When I lived with my bro and his house got broken into, they didn't even MOVE any of my boxes or signed bats, balls or hats (including a Mantle 8x10).
Depending on what else was stolen, I'd venture to guess it was someone who knew you had it and knew they could move it (another reason robbers don't take sports stuff -- they don't know how to move it to buyers).

One thing you (and everyone) need to remember is that Facebook can be browsed without being your friend for information. ALl it takes is someone looking to score to link your name from here/facebook to your address and schedule.

southern california[/quote:2oidzxxy]
Google is pretty ******* incredibe huh?

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
hofmichael said:
[quote="miguelcabrera":3leh2nge][quote="A_Pharis":3leh2nge]Your average everyday thief isn't going to take sports memorabilia. When I lived with my bro and his house got broken into, they didn't even MOVE any of my boxes or signed bats, balls or hats (including a Mantle 8x10).

southern california[/quote:3leh2nge]
Google is pretty fracking incredibe huh?[/quote:3leh2nge]

nope. but common sense of geography is

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
miguelcabrera said:
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
A_Pharis said:
Your average everyday thief isn't going to take sports memorabilia. When I lived with my bro and his house got broken into, they didn't even MOVE any of my boxes or signed bats, balls or hats (including a Mantle 8x10).

So the list of suspects are RebelPawn and me.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
A_Pharis said:

Discovered by the Germans in 1908, San Diego means "Whale's ******".

RandomH

bodiaz said:
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
hofmichael said:
miguelcabrera said:
[quote="A_Pharis":yh0wicmh]Your average everyday thief isn't going to take sports memorabilia. When I lived with my bro and his house got broken into, they didn't even MOVE any of my boxes or signed bats, balls or hats (including a Mantle 8x10).

Discovered by the Germans in 1908, San Diego means "Whale's ******".[/quote:yh0wicmh]
:lol:

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
bozemanbreaker said:
They should take prints from the slabbed stuff they didn't take. They likely thumbed through them?

I dunno, just trying to play CSI> ;)

THat might actually be really good evidence. It is probably a 99% chance he looked at other cards as well.

Then again, he could have had gloves on

tedc2379

May 19, 2010
San Diego
We are practically neighbors. I will keep my eye out on craig's list or any where else sports memorabilia is sold. You might want to try the local swap meets like spring valley. I got ripped off through the mail of about $900 worth last year, so I hope things turn out better for you.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
You might want to check out Frank & Sons Warehouse Show. It would be an easy place in SoCal for the thief/thieves to move the cards without creating a record or trail on eBay.

You could distribute a list of the cards to the dealers there so that they can (a) avoid buying stolen property and (b) alert you or the authorities if someone tries to peddle your stuff.

Good luck!

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
maxpower said:
You might want to check out Frank & Sons Warehouse Show. It would be an easy place in SoCal for the thief/thieves to move the cards without creating a record or trail on eBay.

You could distribute a list of the cards to the dealers there so that they can (a) avoid buying stolen property and (b) alert you or the authorities if someone tries to peddle your stuff.

Good luck!

If any come up, make sure the dealers do not avoid buying. Let them know to tell the thief that they know a potential buyer and to setup a look at/purchase. If you know that they are yours, bring the cops with you.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Oh man that sucks so bad, I'm sorry man! As someone who has had a good portion of their collection stolen as well (most of it was recovered thank God), I know how horrible of a feeling it is. Please let me know whatever I can do to help. My best advice is to start doing your own work to get your stuff back. Don't wait on the police and definitely be proactive.
To me Claremont Sportscards would be the place to start. Bake and Dave are one of the last remaining shops in town and definitely see the most action from people. Give them a detailed list of what was taken and do it soon. Center City Sportscards downtown is another good place to go. I'm sure you already know that but I'm just trying to help. Please feel free to PM if there is anything, anything at all that I can do to help.
Good luck and keep us informed please!

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
A_Pharis said:
TBTwinsFan said:
[quote="A_Pharis":zvp0rj25]Your average everyday thief isn't going to take sports memorabilia. When I lived with my bro and his house got broken into, they didn't even MOVE any of my boxes or signed bats, balls or hats (including a Mantle 8x10).

It's a good idea to set privacy and to not give out your address on facebook (under your info) I don't, then again there arn't any house break-ins here so I doubt it would matter.

I agree it was probably someone you knew and knew you had a great sports collection.

ALl they need facebook for is to link your e-mail address to your real name.

Let's say a rival collector sees his eBay username and requests his e-mail addy through eBay. He goes to Facebook and searches by e-mail addy. He uses that to find his real name and approximate location (and possibly to even add them randomly as a friend or just google the page and view the cached version). Most Facebookers reveal their away-from-home time in either their status or comments. Perp uses the name and location to search whitepages and boom...[/quote:zvp0rj25]

I'm glad I hate facebook. I got on there just now for the first time in literally a year and a half to see if I have any personal info on my page which I don't and I have 118 friend requests. gay. I don't even have a picture on there.

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
Thanks for the comments and good wishes, everyone. The police have left. I'm putting together a document with all the scans of the cards along with other things that were stolen (laptop, camera, wii). Thanks for all the tips--I'll keep you posted.

Anthony

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Very sorry to hear this and good luck in getting the collection back. Many criminals are stupid and i wouldn't be surprised if they started trying to sell these cards locally this weekend.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
hofmichael said:
lisu said:
this is why I have a PO box.
That is very smart.The one thing I have going for me is the amount of shat I have here.The odds of someone finding something good is very slim and it would take 2 days to take everything .

Likewise. It would take me several days to pack up correctly if I needed to move it for a hurricane which sucks but it would makie it a major pain in the ass for a thief. And everything is so mixed up...unless you are me...you'll never know where everything is. And one car load certainly wouldn't do it either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts