Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chris Olds is tweeting that Topps hid Glossy 1/1s in the Panels of Ginter Boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Oh we get Ginter.....we just don't get Topps hiding these cards in a secret compartment, knowing people throw the boxes away, and then Tweet something about it a couple days after launch.

The tweet was Aug 7 the street date. Maybe this was the mess with those who rip prior to the product going live.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Oh we get Ginter.....we just don't get Topps hiding these cards in a secret compartment, knowing people throw the boxes away, and then Tweet something about it a couple days after launch.

Anyone who gets Ginter understands that some people unknowingly threw cards away only adds to the Ginter intrigue.

Nobody got shorted or hurt so it's all good. The fact that the set has some people diving into dumpsters is actually pretty funny.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
For anyone who doesn't know, the tweet Topps sent wasn't "hey look inside the box flap, might be a one off one inside".

No, that would make sense.

It was something like "its Allen ginter day, who's ready to rip a cover today"

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
WOW, very dumb idea knowing people throw the boxes away, but I'd like to know if you'd be able to notice if the box lid was thicker?

I would think so. Panini and Topps base series boxes use flimsy cardboard box packaging (single layer thin cerealbox-type paper for a lack of a better way to explain it) while I think I seem to recall my Pro Debut and American Pie boxes at least use that type of material but in double thickness for the box lid. I suppose I should be pulling out and checking my Pro Debut and American Pie box lids for hidden cards in case Topps started this well before this year's A&G.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I'm honestly laughing at people who think this was a bad idea.

Only thing I would have done different would probably be a different design--possibly a "Black Swamp Find" look or even a "Fold-Out Wagner" parallel.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I like the idea for the most part; but I get a sick feeling, as a player collector, that an outstanding 1/1 of my guy is in the trash somewhere. I can make peace with the fact that there are probably some 1/1's that will never surface, but that's because the product was never opened, or the collector just isn't the public type. But the idea that it's in a wet dump right now is kind of annoying (assuming that ends up being the case).

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I don't see why people are hating on this idea.

I for one, love it. I think it's great for the hobby.

I've seen people complaining that Topps didn't come out and say this was happening beforehand. Um, that's the point. It's supposed to be a surprise.

It makes people sound bitter because they threw out boxes before this news broke.

I just don't get why people whine because Topps is doing something cool.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I like the idea for the most part; but I get a sick feeling, as a player collector, that an outstanding 1/1 of my guy is in the trash somewhere. I can make peace with the fact that there are probably some 1/1's that will never surface, but that's because the product was never opened, or the collector just isn't the public type. But the idea that it's in a wet dump right now is kind of annoying (assuming that ends up being the case).

This is kind of the essence of baseball card collecting though. One could argue that there wouldn't be a hobby if "mom didn't throw out my cards".

Idea for Topps:

We all need to accept the fact that redemptions are here to stay, but what if a product like Ginter made redemptions "fun"? Instead of inserting their lifeless blue cards into packs, create mini Ginter codes that are found by reading the backs of the regular base cards.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
This is kind of the essence of baseball card collecting though. One could argue that there wouldn't be a hobby if "mom didn't throw out my cards".

Idea for Topps:

We all need to accept the fact that redemptions are here to stay, but what if a product like Ginter made redemptions "fun"? Instead of inserting their lifeless blue cards into packs, create mini Ginter codes that are found by reading the backs of the regular base cards.

Why should anyone have to work or guess what they are owed?

Now if there's a redemption code for a rare bonus auto, in fine with that.

Follow leaf's lead when it comes to redemptions. THAT'S how you make it fun.

bmc398

May 25, 2009

How much does BG pay you to pimp his stuff?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

Part of the beauty of these cards is that being completely unannounced, these cards were not owed to anyone.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I think the idea is awesome. Nothing like a little chase and intrigue. I agree that if Topps would have announced the cards before hand it would have lost the luster.

Idea is similar to vintage, think about how many Mantles ended up in the garbage.