Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CLEANING OUT DESK CONTEST Winner Randy Shields

cardcop05

New member
Nov 15, 2018
64
NYC
Mercury in Fluorescent Bulbs

was running back and forth friday night bailing water from an overflowing sink and stepped on a shard of a broken fluorescent bulb...got out as much as could but obviously not enough...they told me yesterday that if i went home instead of being admitted i would have lost the foot (BEST CASE scenario) or have been dead by this morning...got here at 1030 yesterday morning and they FINALLY did the surgery to remove the remaining debris at 5 this afternoon...they tell me if all goes well i'll be here a couple more days...
Geez Claude, that was a close one. Even though Mercury was banned in thermometers, and car thermometers and such. It's so highly better for fluorescent lighting- that the powers that be decided the positive outweighs the negative (personally I disagree for the average consumer).

FYI- Those long fluorescent bulbs are full of MERCURY gas as it's the most efficient gas at burning bright white. We ignorantly used to play "Star Wars" with those as kids outside (like Lightsabers), but our parents warned us to stay away from the gas inside luckily. If a long one is broken inside any dwelling/business; it's best to always have a PRO decontaminate.

The compact fluorescent bulbs (so often used these days) are far less dangerous, but if broken in a poor ventilated area with children, or a pregnant woman (it's very harmful to young one's brains); decontamination may be necessary by a PRO as well (as children and fetuses are most susceptible). Mercury is the most poisonous industrial (still often used) metal on Earth and the only liquid metal at room temperature!

Listen to your instincts (or instincts or people you trust; if yours are flawed) whenever in a possible EMERGENCY situation.

Glad you made the right choice. :)
 

Randy Shields

Well-known member
Aug 20, 2008
1,763
OH-IO
Geez Claude, that was a close one. Even though Mercury was banned in thermometers, and car thermometers and such. It's so highly better for fluorescent lighting- that the powers that be decided the positive outweighs the negative (personally I disagree for the average consumer).

FYI- Those long fluorescent bulbs are full of MERCURY gas as it's the most efficient gas at burning bright white. We ignorantly used to play "Star Wars" with those as kids outside (like Lightsabers), but our parents warned us to stay away from the gas inside luckily. If a long one is broken inside any dwelling/business; it's best to always have a PRO decontaminate.

The compact fluorescent bulbs (so often used these days) are far less dangerous, but if broken in a poor ventilated area with children, or a pregnant woman (it's very harmful to young one's brains); decontamination may be necessary by a PRO as well (as children and fetuses are most susceptible). Mercury is the most poisonous industrial (still often used) metal on Earth and the only liquid metal at room temperature!

Listen to your instincts (or instincts or people you trust; if yours are flawed) whenever in a possible EMERGENCY situation.

Glad you made the right choice. :)
I don't know about you guys but this entire post has left me completely in the dark...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app
 

AnthonyCorona

Active member
Oct 6, 2014
9,467
Modesto, CA
Geez Claude, that was a close one. Even though Mercury was banned in thermometers, and car thermometers and such. It's so highly better for fluorescent lighting- that the powers that be decided the positive outweighs the negative (personally I disagree for the average consumer).

FYI- Those long fluorescent bulbs are full of MERCURY gas as it's the most efficient gas at burning bright white. We ignorantly used to play "Star Wars" with those as kids outside (like Lightsabers), but our parents warned us to stay away from the gas inside luckily. If a long one is broken inside any dwelling/business; it's best to always have a PRO decontaminate.

The compact fluorescent bulbs (so often used these days) are far less dangerous, but if broken in a poor ventilated area with children, or a pregnant woman (it's very harmful to young one's brains); decontamination may be necessary by a PRO as well (as children and fetuses are most susceptible). Mercury is the most poisonous industrial (still often used) metal on Earth and the only liquid metal at room temperature!

Listen to your instincts (or instincts or people you trust; if yours are flawed) whenever in a possible EMERGENCY situation.

Glad you made the right choice. :)
The gift that keeps on giving. The lighted microscope of FCB


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Austin

Active member
Aug 7, 2008
5,639
Oahu, Hawaii
Geez Claude, that was a close one. Even though Mercury was banned in thermometers, and car thermometers and such. It's so highly better for fluorescent lighting- that the powers that be decided the positive outweighs the negative (personally I disagree for the average consumer).

FYI- Those long fluorescent bulbs are full of MERCURY gas as it's the most efficient gas at burning bright white. We ignorantly used to play "Star Wars" with those as kids outside (like Lightsabers), but our parents warned us to stay away from the gas inside luckily. If a long one is broken inside any dwelling/business; it's best to always have a PRO decontaminate.

The compact fluorescent bulbs (so often used these days) are far less dangerous, but if broken in a poor ventilated area with children, or a pregnant woman (it's very harmful to young one's brains); decontamination may be necessary by a PRO as well (as children and fetuses are most susceptible). Mercury is the most poisonous industrial (still often used) metal on Earth and the only liquid metal at room temperature!

Listen to your instincts (or instincts or people you trust; if yours are flawed) whenever in a possible EMERGENCY situation.

Glad you made the right choice. :)
Wait, so not only are you a trained professional autograph authenticator, but you’re also a seasoned lightbulb enthusiast?
That is compelling and rich. You’re kind of a big deal.
 
Jun 17, 2009
865
Gamecock Country
wow , i missed all the hubbub....they sent me home saturday , but i got much worse and was rushed back to the ER monday.....they performed a second surgery tuesday and im praying i can go home thursday because this time i was not able to find anyone to take care of my numerous pets AND i've now lost two weeks in which i desperately needed to be home trying to raise money....

i would post pics showing the original injury (which actually looked quite innocuous , but today's unwrapping even got to me...) along with the updates through today but i fear they would be a bit unsettling to anyone with a balky stomach.....


that said....first let me thank kevin for the contest and randy for passing the prize on to me....i'd also like to say thanks to everyone else who asked about me or showed concern for my situation....not much has gone right lately , so i sincerely appreciate every small blessing now.....
 

Randy Shields

Well-known member
Aug 20, 2008
1,763
OH-IO
Geez Claude, that was a close one. Even though Mercury was banned in thermometers, and car thermometers and such. It's so highly better for fluorescent lighting- that the powers that be decided the positive outweighs the negative (personally I disagree for the average consumer).

FYI- Those long fluorescent bulbs are full of MERCURY gas as it's the most efficient gas at burning bright white. We ignorantly used to play "Star Wars" with those as kids outside (like Lightsabers), but our parents warned us to stay away from the gas inside luckily. If a long one is broken inside any dwelling/business; it's best to always have a PRO decontaminate.

The compact fluorescent bulbs (so often used these days) are far less dangerous, but if broken in a poor ventilated area with children, or a pregnant woman (it's very harmful to young one's brains); decontamination may be necessary by a PRO as well (as children and fetuses are most susceptible). Mercury is the most poisonous industrial (still often used) metal on Earth and the only liquid metal at room temperature!

Listen to your instincts (or instincts or people you trust; if yours are flawed) whenever in a possible EMERGENCY situation.

Glad you made the right choice. :)
I can't even begin to count the number of times we were all outside playing with our fluorescent light sabers and my mom would yell: "RANDY, YOU BETTER STAY AWAY FROM THE GAS INSIDE OF THOSE!!" And I'd always yell back: "BUT MOM, WE'RE NOT IN A POOR VENTILATED AREA!!!" Then she'd just shut the door and we'd go back to fencing with them. Ahh, those were the good ole days...
 
Jun 17, 2009
865
Gamecock Country
I can't even begin to count the number of times we were all outside playing with our fluorescent light sabers and my mom would yell: "RANDY, YOU BETTER STAY AWAY FROM THE GAS INSIDE OF THOSE!!" And I'd always yell back: "BUT MOM, WE'RE NOT IN A POOR VENTILATED AREA!!!" Then she'd just shut the door and we'd go back to fencing with them. Ahh, those were the good ole days...
not sure why , but this actually gave me a much needed laugh...
 

Members online

Top