Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC card prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Does it seem like cards on COMC are way over priced??? It appears that most of the cards on there are listed for 10 times what they go for on Ebay.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
People are just fishing for offers or protecting against a card getting hot and their price becoming a steal.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I think I've noticed a few things too:

1. Sellers jack their prices way up when their card is the only card on COMC.
2. Sellers price their cards based on the Beckett pricing that COMC makes available to them and do not attempt to gauge actual market value.
3. Sellers sometimes price expecting to be made an offer.
4. Sellers know that buyers now do not have access on the site to Beckett pricing (w/o a subscription) and try to inflate value via their pricing. This may become especially true now with the old site having gone away.
5. Not sure on this one, but some sellers may expect that people with store credit to burn will be willing to overpay.

I'm assuming that some must be successfully selling their overpriced stuff or it wouldn't be so rampant?

Did the ridiculous prices on 1999 Tek base spur this thread? I almost started a thread too.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Looking at Gwynn memorabilia cards on COMC sparked this thread. The overpriced cards on COMC make me not want to even risk purchasing store credit if the seller declines my offer.

Here are a few examples
[h=2]2012 Topps Museum Collection Momentous Material Jumbo Relics #TG - Tony Gwynn/50[/h]COMC asking $25.20 2012 Topps Museum Collection Momentous Material Jumbo Relics #TG - Tony Gwynn/50 - COMC
Sold on Ebay for $10.99 shipped 2012 Topps Museum Momentous Jumbo Jersey MMJR TG Tony Gwynn 21 50 Padres | eBay

[h=2]2011 Topps Tribute Triple Relics Green #TG - Tony Gwynn/75

COMC asking $20.25 2011 Topps Tribute Triple Relics Green #TG - Tony Gwynn/75 - COMC
[/h]Sold on Ebay for $7.25 shipped Tony Gwynn 2011 Topps Tribute Triple Game Jersey TTR TG 58 75 | eBay

[h=2]2012 Topps Tribute Retired Remnants Relics #TG - Tony Gwynn/99[/h]COMC asking $15.99 2012 Topps Tribute Retired Remnants Relics #TG - Tony Gwynn/99 - COMC
Sold on Ebay for $8.00 shipped 2012 Topps Tribute Tony Gwynn Game Used Relic Jersey 80 99 | eBay

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
COMC will refund any store credit within 30 days of purchasing I believe.

Taken from the store credit page:

Unused store credit can be kept in your account for as long as you like. You can also request a full refund of any unused store credit within the first 30 days of purchasing it.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Don't forget to check the ads page. Some sellers have sales for x% off their asking price, but the sale price isn't reflected on the item detail page.

Last edited:

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
I was planning on buying some rookie cards for my Spring Training trip at COMC. But after adding about 30 cards to my cart, it's clear that Sportlots, even with the variety of sellers and additional shipping charges, is cheaper. I'll stick with Sportlots.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Sometimes the seller has the same name on eBay & other sites. I contacted a member by message through eBay and asked him for a package deal on 7 cards I wanted & he lowered his prices & accepted all my offers. Worth a shot if a seller has multiple cards you need

studioclint

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
I wish there was a way to message sellers on COMC

I don't. That is the one thing I like about COMC. That way I am not getting annoying messages all the time like on ebay. I think prices are listed so high on COMC because of all the people offering 50%. If I list a card at ebay prices on COMC I will still get bombarded with 50% offers. I know I can set it up to where people can't offer 50%, but occasionally if someone wants a huge amount of cards I will accept 50%.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I don't. That is the one thing I like about COMC. That way I am not getting annoying messages all the time like on ebay. I think prices are listed so high on COMC because of all the people offering 50%. If I list a card at ebay prices on COMC I will still get bombarded with 50% offers. I know I can set it up to where people can't offer 50%, but occasionally if someone wants a huge amount of cards I will accept 50%.

How would you know if someone wants a huge amount of cards if nobody can message you? I'm not gunna sit on there an offer on 25-50 cards just to see if you might accept way easier to send a message and work out a deal for a big lot

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California

Pretty sure you can set it up so that you don't get offers under a certain percentage of your asking price.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I will say I think with the flip to the new site I visit it A LOT less lol... also, did every card go up by $0.25? I feel like there are some Belle cards I've watched for a long time and they all went up the exact same amount lol.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I will say I think with the flip to the new site I visit it A LOT less lol... also, did every card go up by $0.25? I feel like there are some Belle cards I've watched for a long time and they all went up the exact same amount lol.

They did with the transition to the new site. Shipping is factored into the listed price of each card instead of the shipping be calculated when you are about to send a request to ship on the old site.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
They did with the transition to the new site. Shipping is factored into the listed price of each card instead of the shipping be calculated when you are about to send a request to ship on the old site.

I think it's funny because everyone that has cards listed as like $49.99, now it says like $50.20 or something lol.... just makes all the prices look really out of whack IMO

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
It does look strange. I think the explanation COMC gave was that people would add items to their carts then back out after they saw the "large" shipping and processing total. Now, if it's factored into the asking price, the back end of the transaction looks better.

I personally don't mind the shipping costs compared to if I were to buy each card, or a fraction of the cards I buy, from eBay vs COMC. Going back to the OP, the seller prices are a different story.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Ever since the national, they're insane. I used to be able to get deals on COMC, with prices significantly less than eBay. Can't come close now. I'm about to give up and shut down the account.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Exactly how I feel. I barely purchase cards on there any more.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I just haven't seen many new items listed for my guys lately. Have new listings for other guys collected here slowed too? And yes, it seems like you can't find a deal on there anymore. My visits to the site have decreased dramatically.