Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC Credit History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I just logged on to COMC for the first time since Black Friday. I requested shipment of my order that day and am expecting delivery around the middle of March 2021! Pandemic or not, I have been getting more critical of this site for some time, as their shipping times have increased year after year. Yes, that is the result of growing and perhaps not keeping up with the growth internally. We are talking sports cards here, so I do have to step back and remember that this is not a necessity of life.

I used to ship a couple times per year, but this has slowed to roughly 1 time per year, usually after the Thanksgiving sale. The sales/offers seem to have gotten worse too. This year was a complete disappointment all around. There was no free shipping, no real bargains to buy in my collecting interest area that I didn't already scoop up and when I did request shipment, the 3 month wait was a kick in the nuts on top of it all. I brought my credit down to 15 cents and figured I was probably done with the site unless something stellar showed up.

Anyway, one of the deals of this year was a kick back percentage on what you bought. It took me a second to figure out why I had $1.36 in my bank instead of 15 cents. That pretty much sums up how well my Black Friday spending went. in trying to figure out where this money came from before it came to me, I found a spot where you can download your credit. history. This includes money added, offers, direct purchases, etc. I'd love to see this data from my ebay career, but really I don't want to know. I added my first store credit to COMC on 9-1-11, $40. Roughly 9 years later, I requested what may be my final shipment, so I thought I would see just how much money I have uploaded (and spent) with COMC in those 9 years.

I am no big spender by any means, but I tend to buy a solid volume of low prices stuff to the point where it just adds up over time. My major purchases are fewer and far between, opting more for the $10-20 or less range mostly. As I downloaded, sorted and filtered the spreadsheet, I really had no idea how much it would be. Would I be shocked and the high amount? Would I be sickened by the total, thinking that is way more than I would have expected Would I be pleasantly surprised to find I didn't spend as much as you'd think?

In the end, I am not sure how I feel about the total, but my 9 year, 2 month spending total was a hair over $4600 or roughly $500 per year. I am not sickened or shocked, maybe surprised but not sure if I think I would have spent more or less. If ebay had this data to share, I would probably feel sick at the totals, but that is coming up on 23 years and I do the majority of my hobby spending there.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Oof, I shouldn't have looked that up. It's an embarrassing amount that I'm not even going to put here. I really don't want to know how much I spent on eBay.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I actually thought of you when I posted this, thinking you might be one to comment.

Oof, I shouldn't have looked that up. It's an embarrassing amount that I'm not even going to put here. I really don't want to know how much I spent on eBay.

I probably would not share my ebay amount, but then again if it makes you happy and you have the money to spare, what difference does it make? It's also 23 years worth, so it is going to be a large number regardless. I'm sure it would shock me either way. I knew I spend much less on COMC, but $500/Yr isn't chump change either.

I just happened to catch an article about a rapper who asked twitter fans if she should buy an $88K purse and she caught hell for it, of course. She can apparently afford it and will buy it if she wants to, but critics were complaining that it was insensitive during a pandemic, she should donate, blah, blah, blah...it's always easier to tell other people what they should do with their money than it is for your own.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
This year, Blowout, COMC and other such sites didn't have aggressive Black Friday pricing because it has been a strong year for the hobby and there hasn't been a need to discount anything.

I am not big on COMC, but they have definitely snuck in more fees/costs over the years. I was also somewhat disappointed this year as well with the buyer promotions. I have usually a requested a shipment annually after Black Friday which has been free in the past. I have not even attempted to place a shipment in the past 2 years because there weren't many purchases. Will wait until the pandemic is over at this point.

Neat function, I had to look, I've spent $561 since 2012. Seems about right, I add $40-50 per year in credit.

eBay doesn't have a similar function, but I've tallied my purchases in the past through PayPal's site. It is possible to download a spreadsheet there assuming you still use PayPal to checkout on eBay. I am afraid to look, would be much, much more for me as well.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I'm also a bit down on COMC these days. Overall I'm glad it's there, and I still check every few days to see if there's anything new that I need. But at this point I'm finding less and less. And there's still the same batch of vastly overpriced cards that NEVER come down in price - and in some cases keep going up. It baffles me to see cards that go unsold for years but keep going up in price. The shipping is also tough. The best feature of COMC is combined shipping, but that's offset by these incredibly long delays. I know, I know, covid. But somehow other sellers - including those in Washington - manage to ship little pieces of cardboard in a matter of days, not months.

The purchase history is a nice feature that I never realized before. Looking at mine, it's $1200 in 4 years, so $300 a year. I would have guessed a lot more than that. Now ebay on the other hand...I don't even dare look.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I looked up my history last week tooking to see what I paid for a card in 2013. The download history is nice in that you can see all the cards you've bought and what you paid for them. My history with COMC is $250-$350 average per year. And like seversal have said, I'm down lately because they upped shipping costs, shipping time is outrageous, and sales tax is now charged when you add credit.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Between 1/28/2011 and 11/1/2020, I purchased 9710 cards for a total of $10,369. That seems excessive, but a good chunk of those purchases are cards purchased to flip. I've sold $3,380 on COMC, but only sent in two shipments of maybe 150 combined cards (one in 2011, one in 2012), so most of those sales are flips. I also buy a lot of store credit with money from ebay sales, that also makes me feel less guilty.

What does concern me greatly are some of my old sales.

2011 Topps Finest - [Base]
Mike Trout [edit] [share]
Item: 8026568
N/A
$7.50

2011 Bowman - Bowman's Brightest
#BBR6
Item: 8026589
N/A
$6.24

2010 Bowman Platinum - Prospects
#PP5
Item: 8026570
N/A
$5.62

I had five Update Trouts, sold for $7.50 each. All the Trouts were in the same sale on 8/14/2012, for close to the at-the-time going rate.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Best not to look at sales prices if you are a seller, for this exact reason, but then again maybe you have some deals that sold well and wouldn't sell for pennies now. Hopefully it all works out in the end. If it doesn't, maybe it's time to hold stuff longer!

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Why do people that buy COMCs cards on EBAY receive their cards in a week while I have to wait 3 months for a shipment from their very own site? Even sending in cards is getting ridiculous. It used to be 20 cents per card for one month processing, now the cheapest service is 35 cents per card for three months.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Best not to look at sales prices if you are a seller, for this exact reason, but then again maybe you have some deals that sold well and wouldn't sell for pennies now. Hopefully it all works out in the end. If it doesn't, maybe it's time to hold stuff longer!

Well, I did get close to $70 for a 2010 Elite Jurickson Profar auto that was inexplicably listed for $1. That used to be well over a $100 card, a BGS 9.5 just sold last month for $1.25 so I did OK on that one!

zlpeterson

Sep 23, 2015
San Francisco
The shipping times from Comc is an absolute joke, and them blaming it on increased volume and covid impacts is simply not true.

I can buy an Ebay item from Comc and it SHIPS THE NEXT DAY. But if I buy directly from Comc now all of sudden, covid this, volume that, trying our hardest. I have paid significantly extra over the past few months to buy identical cards from Ebay to avoid Comc.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Some say that COMC is focusing their efforts on their auction business and letting the direct purchase folks wait, unless you pay a crazy high expedited fee. It's funny though, it seems to me that the auction business on ebay is moving towards the BIN/BO trend. I can't tell you how many times I have done completed auction searches to see cards I would have wanted to bid on, that sold for less than I would have paid. The sellers have decided that they want X amount and figure BIN/BO is the best way. It seems fewer and fewer folks are willing to chance stuff to traditional auctions. Of course, I am all for this when I am the first one to find a listing, but in all fairness, it seems a lot of these people are leaving good money on the table by taking the quick sales.

All of it, plus my age and perhaps a waning interest in it all around is leading me closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a retirement from collecting new items and when the time is right (perhaps once I am ready to retire from my job), beginning a liquidation of my collection. I was just cleaning up my card room today, as things had gotten pulled out and it was a mess, and it overwhelms me to think of the amount of stuff I have. Considering I have been a pretty active buyer on ebay for almost 25 years, add in a lot of shops and show buying in the 90s and early 2000s too, I have a ton of stuff that I will eventually want to get rid of. Some of it has appreciated nicely, some has taken a dump. Still, I look at boxes upon boxes of stuff, thinking about listings single items from them for sale either on a website, a place like COMC or ebay and I could have an entire career ahead of me, post retirement!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yes. It's COMC's lying about shipping bothers me most.

The shipping times from Comc is an absolute joke, and them blaming it on increased volume and covid impacts is simply not true.

I can buy an Ebay item from Comc and it SHIPS THE NEXT DAY. But if I buy directly from Comc now all of sudden, covid this, volume that, trying our hardest. I have paid significantly extra over the past few months to buy identical cards from Ebay to avoid Comc.

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
I just logged on to COMC for the first time since Black Friday. I requested shipment of my order that day and am expecting delivery around the middle of March 2021! Pandemic or not, I have been getting more critical of this site for some time, as their shipping times have increased year after year. Yes, that is the result of growing and perhaps not keeping up with the growth internally. We are talking sports cards here, so I do have to step back and remember that this is not a necessity of life.

I used to ship a couple times per year, but this has slowed to roughly 1 time per year, usually after the Thanksgiving sale. The sales/offers seem to have gotten worse too. This year was a complete disappointment all around. There was no free shipping, no real bargains to buy in my collecting interest area that I didn't already scoop up and when I did request shipment, the 3 month wait was a kick in the nuts on top of it all. I brought my credit down to 15 cents and figured I was probably done with the site unless something stellar showed up.

Anyway, one of the deals of this year was a kick back percentage on what you bought. It took me a second to figure out why I had $1.36 in my bank instead of 15 cents. That pretty much sums up how well my Black Friday spending went. in trying to figure out where this money came from before it came to me, I found a spot where you can download your credit. history. This includes money added, offers, direct purchases, etc. I'd love to see this data from my ebay career, but really I don't want to know. I added my first store credit to COMC on 9-1-11, $40. Roughly 9 years later, I requested what may be my final shipment, so I thought I would see just how much money I have uploaded (and spent) with COMC in those 9 years.

I am no big spender by any means, but I tend to buy a solid volume of low prices stuff to the point where it just adds up over time. My major purchases are fewer and far between, opting more for the $10-20 or less range mostly. As I downloaded, sorted and filtered the spreadsheet, I really had no idea how much it would be. Would I be shocked and the high amount? Would I be sickened by the total, thinking that is way more than I would have expected Would I be pleasantly surprised to find I didn't spend as much as you'd think?

In the end, I am not sure how I feel about the total, but my 9 year, 2 month spending total was a hair over $4600 or roughly $500 per year. I am not sickened or shocked, maybe surprised but not sure if I think I would have spent more or less. If ebay had this data to share, I would probably feel sick at the totals, but that is coming up on 23 years and I do the majority of my hobby spending there.

Agree on all accounts

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

B

baratras

Hahaha, I don't want to know the amount I spent on eBay either. Honestly, I think I spent a fortune there. Well, I like online platforms, where you can buy some nonsense or, on the contrary, worthwhile things. I want to tell you that I once cheated and took a thousand euros on credit on the platform kertalaina 1000. So what's the big deal? Moreover, they gave me about 20 different conditions, I chose the most favorable for me and took credit) I wanted a new phone and headphones, and I did not have the strength to wait, so I took credit)

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts