Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Unfortunately my first submission with COMC didn't go well, mainly due to the Request For Proposal on port sales. Why the folks at COMC think RFP's are a good idea I will never understand. I still hope they stay around as an alternative to ebay but I won't be sending them anything else.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Unfortunately my first submission with COMC didn't go well, mainly due to the Request For Proposal on port sales. Why the folks at COMC think RFP's are a good idea I will never understand. I still hope they stay around as an alternative to ebay but I won't be sending them anything else.

What was the problem with the RFP process?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Not sure when this has happened to you. But I've requested packages many times (including Black friday when they are the busiest) and have always received my stuff within a week. Normally it is packaged in a day and shipped within 48 hours.

Here are my 4 shipment requests...

Requested on: 01/13/2012 | Shipped on: 01/23/2012 | 10 days
Requested on: 03/30/2012 | Shipped on: 04/04/2012 | 5 days
Requested on: 11/29/2013 | Shipped on: 12/03/2013 | 4 days
Requested on: 12/01/2013 | Shipped on: 12/09/2019 | 8 days

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
Honestly, it depends on the offer -- sometimes when you see an 1/2 off offer as a seller, you realize you underpriced the card to begin with and need to raise the price. I try to price cards fairly for the condition but I will tell you honestly, when I feel someone is lowballing an already fair price, I get very frustrated. There are two examples, which have annoyed me for years, one was a Noah Lowry "Black" card in which the buyer would not push his price up to where I would have accepted the price. I've told the story (and when later asked, I did check EBay and I was way below the Bay) about how I bumped the price and I don't even know if I still have the card but that was annoying. The other case is a 1955 Bowman Bob Grim which is in rough shape. I list the damned card for 10 percent and that is guaranteed to get the 1/2 off request. I don't believe in being less than 10 percent on a card so I went to 20 percent so I could at least think about a 10 percent offer. But I was not selling at 5 percent.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
yes/no? DO I send a lot in to COMC?

Working on a nice lot to send to COMC, but after reading some of this thread having second thoughts. Its nothing huge just some color and inserts that have been sitting around.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
yes/no? DO I send a lot in to COMC?

Working on a nice lot to send to COMC, but after reading some of this thread having second thoughts. Its nothing huge just some color and inserts that have been sitting around.

Have you checked to see if there are already copies of some of the cards you are sending and if so, how they are priced?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
There is a COMC rep on this board, would be good to get him in here... Think his name is Moe?

Anyways, it will be interesting to see where COMC is in 10 years. I can't imagine the warehouse they'll have to have for all the cards. I mean some cards on their site won't ever sell. Can't think of them off the top of my head but some single cards have hundreds of copies - like the 400th dude trying to sell the Frank Thomas RC for $5 should just have the card destroyed because it'll never sell and he is paying to have it "stored" right?

I thought in the beginning COMC business was for cards worth $1 or more? Or like they asked you don't send in base cards or cards that are worth pennies? It shocks me how many just worthless cards are on there - seller needs to pay to store them and COMC needs the space to physically store them. What a nightmare long term. COMC can't possible reverse that cycle. Seems like a huge liability from a business strategy long term.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Didn't they open it up to, or make a push for base cards in recent years? I'm pretty sure cards with a low BV are charged less or not at all to store

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I used to be a big fan of COMC. Not so much any more.

I have zero problem with base cards or as some say "worthless" cards being on there. I'd rather pick up a dozen base cards and pay $3 shipping than pay $4+ per card on ebay ($1 for the card, $3 shipping). My problem is that sellers have became idiots. Listen, I get that it's your card and you can ask whatever you want, but at least try to be realistic. Is anyone really going to buy your 2013 Gypsy Queen jersey card for $10 when they can pick it up on ebay for $3 or less all day long? Get real.

The other thing is the ridiculous prices on anything /25 or lower. Do you honestly think someone is going to pay $100+ for an Adam Dunn printing plate? I pick them up for less than $20 with most being less than $15. Any parallel /25 or less seems to instantly be slapped with at least a $50 price tag. Get the XXXX outta here. It's almost a waste of time to bother going there because I have to weed through pages of obscenely overpriced cards.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
There is a COMC rep on this board, would be good to get him in here... Think his name is Moe?

Anyways, it will be interesting to see where COMC is in 10 years. I can't imagine the warehouse they'll have to have for all the cards. I mean some cards on their site won't ever sell. Can't think of them off the top of my head but some single cards have hundreds of copies - like the 400th dude trying to sell the Frank Thomas RC for $5 should just have the card destroyed because it'll never sell and he is paying to have it "stored" right?

I thought in the beginning COMC business was for cards worth $1 or more? Or like they asked you don't send in base cards or cards that are worth pennies? It shocks me how many just worthless cards are on there - seller needs to pay to store them and COMC needs the space to physically store them. What a nightmare long term. COMC can't possible reverse that cycle. Seems like a huge liability from a business strategy long term.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Storage is free for everything under .75 cents. Maybe that will change as people continue to send in cards like Kevin Slowey 2012 Topps which is up to 42 copies! (And most of the copies are prices less than what the user was charged to send them in.)

http://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/2012/Topps/111/Kevin_Slowey/5801005,p4

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
As a player collector, finding comc was the best thing for me. Being able to pick up cards at the same price as ebay or even cheaper (yes, not every seller is a ********* and actually accepts offers), and only paying one shipping fee is pure genius. I buy cards and let them sit for weeks. Then when i get around forty cards i pull the trigger and ship. I think i have saved more money in shipping fees than anything else. Cant do that with ebay.

i have only experienced the price hike after an offer a few times. Fine. Raise your price. Screw you, ill buy it on ebay or from a different seller, or ill re offer in three months when you still have the card.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
As a player collector, finding comc was the best thing for me. Being able to pick up cards at the same price as ebay or even cheaper (yes, not every seller is a ********* and actually accepts offers), and only paying one shipping fee is pure genius. I buy cards and let them sit for weeks. Then when i get around forty cards i pull the trigger and ship. I think i have saved more money in shipping fees than anything else. Cant do that with ebay.

i have only experienced the price hike after an offer a few times. Fine. Raise your price. Screw you, ill buy it on ebay or from a different seller, or ill re offer in three months when you still have the card.

Yes, there are still a ton of positives with COMC.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I used to be a big fan of COMC. Not so much any more.

I have zero problem with base cards or as some say "worthless" cards being on there. I'd rather pick up a dozen base cards and pay $3 shipping than pay $4+ per card on ebay ($1 for the card, $3 shipping). My problem is that sellers have became idiots. Listen, I get that it's your card and you can ask whatever you want, but at least try to be realistic. Is anyone really going to buy your 2013 Gypsy Queen jersey card for $10 when they can pick it up on ebay for $3 or less all day long? Get real.

The other thing is the ridiculous prices on anything /25 or lower. Do you honestly think someone is going to pay $100+ for an Adam Dunn printing plate? I pick them up for less than $20 with most being less than $15. Any parallel /25 or less seems to instantly be slapped with at least a $50 price tag. Get the XXXX outta here. It's almost a waste of time to bother going there because I have to weed through pages of obscenely overpriced cards.
Couldn't agree more. Its like 90% of the cards on that site are drastically overpriced to the point of why in the world would I pay 50 dollars for your low end auto when i can get it for 10-15 every day on ebay.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Based on everyones gripes about the price of higher end cards, it seems that comc is the place for low to mid inserts and base cards. So as a seller, i would stick with ebay if i had anything more than a fifty dollar card.

But, then the drawbacks of ebay come into play for both sides. Dirtbag bidders who dont pay, bidders that say the card arrived damaged or not at all. Sellers that dont send on time, or send in a pwe with an ultrapro flimsy sleeve, overcharging for shipping, etc etc etc...

no one place is perfect for what we enjoy. Just do the best you can with whats available to us.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Like ASTROBURN I love COMC for picking up lower-end inserts for my collection, then shipping a big pile all at once to save money. The people talking about how most sellers have stuff priced too high have valid complaints...but it's that way for ebay, too. Go to ebay and look at BINs, 90% of those are so high that the seller must be smoking crack. I think there is more useless garbage on ebay at BIN than there is on COMC. I don't even bother looking at BINs other than for my supercollection or when I'm making an ebay holiday "wishlist". It's a waste of time to wade through all the crap to find maybe one thing worth making an offer on.

Members online

Latest posts