Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

December 2021 - New Arrivals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is a very busy design, but I really liked them when they were new.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am going to do something I never do, and that is count my card before it arrives. Why, because something is just off here and I guess I want to "out" this story now. I bid on this card several days back, minimum bid. It's logoless, so I was not excited about it, but it is a Dodger auto. I went after a clearly much more preferred Topps 86 retro auto card the other day /5 and lost it at around $75 (I paid about $100 for a similar one right before the scandal broke). I set what I figured was a snipe that would NOT win this card, but nobody else bid at all and I won it.

I get that he missed a good part of the year and is involved in a pretty bad, image smearing scandal, but he still had some solid years and I have found that scandals don't ever completely destroy the market for anyone regardless of how bad they may have been. I fully expect to not receive this card based on the end bid price, although the seller seems to be well established. We'll see.

It was $0.99 plus $5 s/h! If it comes, it will lessen the sting of the other Bauer I way overpaid for.

s-l1600.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Ozzie Smith Photo Variation Raw.jpg

Yeah I'm an addict...so what. I can stop buying Significant Signature duplicates anytime I want. I just don't want to right now.

Actually I snagged this one for a couple reasons...it was cheap and it looked like it was in really good shape. I'm going to have the entire set slabbed with SGC and the Ozzie like this I already had is a PSA 9. Instead of crossing it over I'm just going to sell it and slab this one SGC.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
That is a very busy design, but I really liked them when they were new.

That's funny, I thought they were ugly/ridiculous when they came out but 25+ years later I see them as a classic design. Maybe in 2046 I will think Ben Baller garbage is classic!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I do like the Baller Dodger autos from the Championship boxed set, but they are not overly flashy.

I tried to win a Kaline Significant Sig in that same year, but got outbid. It still went relatively cheap, just over $20. Kaline is plentiful still, but $20 seems like a bargain. just have too many things to buy and not enough money!!

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Really fun mail day today. This Koufax Image Variation would check the last box on the checklist for what most people would consider the complete set but I'm still looking for a couple more ink variations and the redemption cards for my Master set.

Sandy Koufax Image Variation.jpg

Thought I'd share an updated family portrait too. I was really tempted to bust that Rizzuto Blue Ink out of the PSA slab for the picture. They'll all be slabbed SGC at some point. Sad thing is right now it would cost as much to slab the set as it has to build it.
Set Build.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
120321.jpg
2008 Stadium Club RC variation Gregorio Petit 564/999. Seems like a very unexciting card, but not to a team collector...that year's Stadium Club had hobby/retail RC variations with different photos and some of them seem to be nearly impossible to find even if the serial numbering indicates otherwise. One of those was a Carlos Gonzalez I picked up last year, and now this one FINALLY completes the team set 13 years after it was released.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I do like the Baller Dodger autos from the Championship boxed set, but they are not overly flashy.

I tried to win a Kaline Significant Sig in that same year, but got outbid. It still went relatively cheap, just over $20. Kaline is plentiful still, but $20 seems like a bargain. just have too many things to buy and not enough money!!

We may have been bidding on the same Kaline. Anytime I see a card from the set hanging below market I throw a bid on it. I don't mind duplicates if I can get them cheap. I bought an extra Killebrew a couple week ago for $15 shipped which is just dumb.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I do the same, but it could be anything. Mostly Dodger autos, but HOFers, Garvey, I am open to buying just about anything if it catches my eye.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
tony_clark_sm.png

1998 Score Rookie/Traded 'Star Gazing' insert
1998 Studio 'Hit Parade' insert 1925/5000
1998 Studio 'Hit Parade' insert PROMO xxxx/5000
1998 Pinnacle Plus 'Artist Proof' insert 017/100
2000 Stadium Club Chrome 'First Day Issue' parallel 059/100
2005 Topps Chrome Updates & Highlights 'Black Refractor' parallel 141/250

The Star Gazing and Hit Parade inserts have a nice subtle duffex effect to them, which unfortunately doesn't show when scanned.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Adding to the Dylan Carlson stash again. I love photo variations of any kind.
2021 Topps Chrome Full Set Image Variation Refractor.jpg

2021 Topps Holiday SP Candy Cane Bat.jpg

So I'm still NOT collecting Bagwell. I'm going to keep telling myself that.
2000 Pacific Dominion Kings of the Diamond pair.jpg

Four more customs for Christmas presents from my friend Kevin

Dwier Brown Vertical.jpg
Dwier Brown Horizontal.jpg

Last edited:

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Definitely a Cardinals mailday
Holliday Relic.jpgWaino Relic.jpg2008 FX Adam Wainwright.jpg 2008 Upper Deck CPTG Signatures Adam Wainwright.jpg
2006 Ginter Pujols Mini Relic.jpg2019 Topps Finest Red and Blue Auto.jpg2019 Bowman's Best Red.jpg

The red auto is absolutely awesome in hand but it stayed mine about 30 minutes. It's headed out tomorrow in trade for something better that I'll post later this week.

Attachments

• 2006 Ginter Pujols Mini Relic.jpg
    2006 Ginter Pujols Mini Relic.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 4

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Most of my new additions get announced on my Dodger thread, although I slip some non-Dodger stuff in from time to time. Usually not autographs though. This was one I didn't want to post there, so why not here? Nice action shot of Cepeda as a Giant. Cepeda is one of those fence guys that get tossed around in HOF threads. He's in, but he has no real "magic number" to lean on. He had a decent career, though not dominating, a couple knockout seasons and compiled some pretty decent numbers. Still better than 98% of the players who came before and after him, so I don't mind his inclusion. Using a Cepeda, you might argue for a Dave Parker or Al Oliver. I think they all belong.

s-l1600.jpg

Latest posts