Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

December - New Arrivals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Just one today but at least it's a Gold Refractor autograph:

120320.jpg

I've got a bundle of stuff coming in probably next week, went a little wild trying to knock cards off my 2020 priorities list before the year ends.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
Just one today but at least it's a Gold Refractor autograph:

View attachment 118990

I've got a bundle of stuff coming in probably next week, went a little wild trying to knock cards off my 2020 priorities list before the year ends.

Is he a good prospect. This is the issue I have with baseball, well with new baseball. There are some many minor league players that I don't know who's who or who's even good. I follow baseball, bit not enough to know players in the minors...

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Is he a good prospect. This is the issue I have with baseball, well with new baseball. There are some many minor league players that I don't know who's who or who's even good. I follow baseball, bit not enough to know players in the minors...
Even kids who are good prospects don't make the major leagues or don't last. I love baseball, I love the hobby, I hate prospecting. I absolutely grab autos of prospects in the Red Sox system, but I hate paying a premium price for them

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
Even kids who are good prospects don't make the major leagues or don't last. I love baseball, I love the hobby, I hate prospecting. I absolutely grab autos of prospects in the Red Sox system, but I hate paying a premium price for them

Exactly. It's tough for me to get into the new cards when opening packs as I have no idea who's a great prospect or not. That's why I stick with mostly the older stuff.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

Nope, the prices for good prospects are so high I'd never have bought the card if he was very good. Just got it because it's an A's card and I'll pay about $10 for any Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor A's auto I don't have. He's actually in the Tigers organization right now (one of two players traded for Mike Fiers in 2018) and he's not a total dud but I'd say best case scenario is 4th or 5th starter.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The first arrival from my shopping spree to knock as many cards off my "2020 top priorities" wantlist as possible before the year ends:

120420.jpg
I had never picked this one up because he was traded to the Rockies immediately after his rookie year so I kind of lost interest in paying good money for any of his cards. I put it on my top priorities list for 2020 and searched all year long but never happened to find one in an auction where I could have bought it for a good price. Ended up hitting a BIN for $30 just to be done with it, at least it's in nice condition with a solid bold signature.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Dilferules - Nice A's stuff as always.

Early Matsui auto, not my favorite, but couldn't pass it up for the price.
s-l800.jpg

Back on the GU chase, picked up the base 01 SP GU on COMC and these.
s-l600.jpg

s-l600.jpg

2020 Yankees Base Set (Series 1, 2 and Update) --- missing US144 combo card
70 cards in complete team set, this puts me at 40. 17 SPs remain and 12 SSPs. :rolleyes:

s-l600.jpg

2018 Debut Set bv
s-l600.jpg
`

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Funny you say that. I don't disagree, but I look at basketball and football offerings now, as I have not followed either sport in years. I don't know ANY of the players aside from a few big names that would get press anywhere.

You really can't be knowledgable anymore by just being a casual fan or collector. Too many prospects, prospectors that drive up rookie cards, weird unannounced or obscure inserts/SPs/variations, etc. I could go through a box of cards and pull something I'd pay $2-3 for that might be 18 cents on sportslot or COMC, yet pass up on a $50 SSP, thinking I wouldn't pay 18 cents for that! I used to pride myself on knowing my stuff pretty well, but from the late 90s until now, forgot about it!

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
todays sweet auto mail day. But this auto to me is special. This guy rocked! Ok first he played for the Phillies from 1935 to 1940 then from 1941 to 1944 he served in WW2 then came back to play ball from 1945 to 1947 for the Phillies. But not just a hero but he was the first major league regular to enter military service. I'm going to try to collect a lot of this guy!
tyditikt76i76.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Today's mail:

120520.jpg
I didn't have a '98 Pinnacle Museum Canseco yet for some reason, and that has been rectified. The other two piles must be relatable to other team/player collectors: stadium giveaway sets. If you miss out on them right when they are released they can be a huge pain to track down years later. Both of these issues are from 2006. The top one is a small 12 card set sponsored(?) by Oakland Children's Hospital. Nice to check all of these off my wantlist.

The bottom one has been a bane of my wantlist for years now, 2006 Upper Deck A's Dibs SGA set (Dibs were a bonbon-like ice cream treat, not sure if they make them anymore). I had searched for a full set for several years and never found one, so broke down and bought about 80% of the 25-card set on COMC for about $1.50 per card. I was still missing 5 cards, including Frank Thomas, and had been hunting for them for a few years with no luck when I recently found an eBay listing for a complete set. So it's great that I have my missing cards, but annoying that this complete set was $14 shipped, far less than I had already paid for a partial set...if I had only waited. So anyways I have extras of every card in the set aside from Frank Thomas, Ken Macha, Rich Harden, Brad Halsey, and Antonio Perez if anybody needs them. At least I also lucked out and finally found the equivalent 2008 UD SGA team set for ten bucks, which should arrive next week. And I resisted buying singles of that one, so it's all new to me.

Tfangman

Jun 4, 2015
Great find on the Dibs! As a Frank Collector you never see that SGA set or the 2008 Farmers Insurance SGA set. If you ever stumble on them again, I would be very interested! Again congrats on the find!

Today's mail:

View attachment 119119
I didn't have a '98 Pinnacle Museum Canseco yet for some reason, and that has been rectified. The other two piles must be relatable to other team/player collectors: stadium giveaway sets. If you miss out on them right when they are released they can be a huge pain to track down years later. Both of these issues are from 2006. The top one is a small 12 card set sponsored(?) by Oakland Children's Hospital. Nice to check all of these off my wantlist.

The bottom one has been a bane of my wantlist for years now, 2006 Upper Deck A's Dibs SGA set (Dibs were a bonbon-like ice cream treat, not sure if they make them anymore). I had searched for a full set for several years and never found one, so broke down and bought about 80% of the 25-card set on COMC for about $1.50 per card. I was still missing 5 cards, including Frank Thomas, and had been hunting for them for a few years with no luck when I recently found an eBay listing for a complete set. So it's great that I have my missing cards, but annoying that this complete set was $14 shipped, far less than I had already paid for a partial set...if I had only waited. So anyways I have extras of every card in the set aside from Frank Thomas, Ken Macha, Rich Harden, Brad Halsey, and Antonio Perez if anybody needs them. At least I also lucked out and finally found the equivalent 2008 UD SGA team set for ten bucks, which should arrive next week. And I resisted buying singles of that one, so it's all new to me.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Great find on the Dibs! As a Frank Collector you never see that SGA set or the 2008 Farmers Insurance SGA set. If you ever stumble on them again, I would be very interested! Again congrats on the find!

Thanks! Good to know I wasn't alone in thinking they are rare. I don't think Beckett even catalogs the 2008 Farmers set, I only knew about it from seeing a couple of singles here and there. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out when I'm hunting A's cards in order to help other player/team collectors. The 2007 set (that Frank wasn't in) seems to be a little more common for whatever reason.

Tfangman

Jun 4, 2015
Thanks! Good to know I wasn't alone in thinking they are rare. I don't think Beckett even catalogs the 2008 Farmers set, I only knew about it from seeing a couple of singles here and there. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out when I'm hunting A's cards in order to help other player/team collectors. The 2007 set (that Frank wasn't in) seems to be a little more common for whatever reason.

Strange, I wonder if more people just happened to attend the 07 game as compared to the 2006 and 2008 games.

I only found out about the Farmers because of COMC sold listings. Other Frank collectors have talked about it as well. A lot of these SGA sets are that way! Chasing 1996 Dannon and looking for better prices on the 1998, 1999 and 2000 Lemon Chill Sox sets.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Good stuff for my collection today:

120720-1.jpg120720-2.jpg
I love the 2006 Ultimate Ensemble Signatures and this one is the big A's card in the set, a 6-player autograph/10. Decent player selection too, no cup of coffee prospects, A's fans would have at least some good memories of all of these guys.

120720-3.jpg
The aforementioned 2008 Upper Deck Farmers SGA team set. In addition to Thomas it also includes a tough Brad Ziegler RC and Keith Foulke, who I had totally forgotten had come back to the A's in 2008 after going to the Red Sox in 2004. He didn't have any other A's cards from the 2008 stint.

The 2003 UD Vintage Ray Durham is an SP and absolutely impossible to find. I'm going to officially declare it an "SSP", ha. UD Vintage is kind of an underrated product as far as difficult to find cards go, the 2004 3D Sluggers subset is also super tough. I'm still missing the Tejada from that.

Always good to pick up a '98 Platinum Medallion, even if it is Mike Blowers. My fifth pickup from that set this year, still 6 to go for the team set but two of those are Canseco and Henderson so that won't be easy.

The 1975 Hostess Reggie *almost* finishes off my '70s Kellogg's and Hostess A's needs. Still need a 1975 Kellogg's Catfish Hunter with the A's logo on the back instead of Yankees. Hard to find one that isn't completely cracked for a decent price.

Tfangman

Jun 4, 2015
Good stuff for my collection today:

View attachment 119153View attachment 119154
I love the 2006 Ultimate Ensemble Signatures and this one is the big A's card in the set, a 6-player autograph/10. Decent player selection too, no cup of coffee prospects, A's fans would have at least some good memories of all of these guys.

View attachment 119155
The aforementioned 2008 Upper Deck Farmers SGA team set. In addition to Thomas it also includes a tough Brad Ziegler RC and Keith Foulke, who I had totally forgotten had come back to the A's in 2008 after going to the Red Sox in 2004. He didn't have any other A's cards from the 2008 stint.

The 2003 UD Vintage Ray Durham is an SP and absolutely impossible to find. I'm going to officially declare it an "SSP", ha. UD Vintage is kind of an underrated product as far as difficult to find cards go, the 2004 3D Sluggers subset is also super tough. I'm still missing the Tejada from that.

Always good to pick up a '98 Platinum Medallion, even if it is Mike Blowers. My fifth pickup from that set this year, still 6 to go for the team set but two of those are Canseco and Henderson so that won't be easy.

The 1975 Hostess Reggie *almost* finishes off my '70s Kellogg's and Hostess A's needs. Still need a 1975 Kellogg's Catfish Hunter with the A's logo on the back instead of Yankees. Hard to find one that isn't completely cracked for a decent price.

Ha! You found one!

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Ha! You found one!

Yup pretty crazy that I found the 2006 Dibs and 2008 Farmers sets on the same day (from different sellers) after fruitlessly searching for years. Also finally found the last bunch of cards from another SGA set from a decade earlier that I'll post about when I receive them. Now if I can only find a 1995 A's California Highway Patrol set, that's the last "obscure team set" white whale for me.

Members online