Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Did grading ruin the sentimental factor for you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
In the 80s when card shops were on every other corner, I bought a few HOF'ers. A few Mantles, Williams, etc. They were mostly in the $25 range and I was thrilled to have some of those cards. 20 years later I had some PSA graded and agreed with the grades. These were cards that I bought in my "childhood" and teenage years. Always wanted to keep them and never really thought about selling them.

But . . .

An example. One is a Leaf Ted Williams that graded a PSA 4. After a while of having it in the slab, I kept thinking about how I could upgrade to a 5 or a 6. Keep on the lookout for one that looks great or just a good deal with some Bing/ebay bucks and then sell the PSA 4 and am only out the difference and I have a nice upgrade.

The memory of buying that card would probably fade away (for that one specifically, I don't really remember the exact transaction hehe but it was from one of two shops long since gone). And this is for a card that I thought I'd never part with.

Ever happen to you? Any regrets even though it was an upgrade?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Great point! I like my chewed-up cards from when I was a kid as much as the same ones that are in top shape. Perhaps you could have two or three copies covering the range of conditions from low to high.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Money ruined the sentimental factor for me.Once I figured out I could turn a buck selling cards I haven't been attached to a card since.The lone exception has been the 2009 & 2010 Topps Legends Base Set Variations.

Members online

Latest posts