Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you still get Beckett Magazine? (please take the poll)

Do you still get Beckett Magazine?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I dabble enough in other sports that the magazine still comes in handy most of the time. I give away the previous month's magazine to one of the elementary students I work with each month, which is another reason I keep the subscription.
DANNY

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
dano7 said:
I dabble enough in other sports that the magazine still comes in handy most of the time. I give away the previous month's magazine to one of the elementary students I work with each month, which is another reason I keep the subscription.
DANNY
Sent you a pm.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Re: Do you still get Beckett Magazine?

Topnotchsy said:
matfanofold said:
Topnotchsy said:
Does anyone else find these numbers as astounding as I do?

Not really....

I mean, lets not forget this board in made almost entirely of BMB ditchers and discards. We are all here because of things we found wrong with BMB, and add to the fact most of us know the wealth of accurate info the Bay provides as per value. Not to mention themag has steadily gone down hill and up in value. It's really a no brainer that the poll would turn out this way here..

I personally don't believe that in an industry where there was really only the single baseball card magazine, that unless people really did not care for it, would the numbers have been close to this high..

I agree with this somewhat as mentioned in my post, however there were and is several options other than the Becket Magazine which were/are just as viable and again, the numbers do not supprise me in the least considering the source.

As for us being "BMB ditchers" I guess I'm in the minority who appreciated the fact that Beckett gave us a free place to convene, and regardless of the fact that it was likely very shortsighted for them to change things and basically take away the boards as we knew it

As you type this here, I wonder if your still a avid BMB'er...? Anyway, I do not think anyone disputes the fact they gave us a good place to convene and it was indeed short sighted of them to revamp a working model in to something, well..... other. I'm not sure why you felt to add this to the post, but let me clearly say here that I, as well as most I assume, would agree.

I definitely don't feel that they "owed" me anything, and has little if anything to do with my decision on the magazine.

Here is where you and I may disagree. After contributing for a long while in to making the BMB what it was, and spending a good penny on there magazine as well as online pg's, I think they owed us users/customers a functional and acceptable message board and a user friendly, up to date and 'as accurate as can be' magazine. In which they continue to fail to do so. My leaving the BMB has more to do with the BMB it'self but also spills over to the entire taste Becket leaves in my mouth. And I do not think it's a unreasonable assumption to think others feel the same way.

Plus, throwing in the fact that this place has some of the biggest diehard cardboard fans in the hobby, and based on the poll over 90% of the people did at one time subscribe to Beckett, the numbers are insane and really strongly show that people are not pleased with the content

This in a nutshell was all I was really trying to say, and the numbers really do show just how displeased they are with Beckett as a whole. However, I believed this to be the case before this poll and is why I do not find the numbers "insane" at all, but just what i would figure coming from a board full of members, one way or another, displeased with Becket..

Despite the overall 'disageeing' tone with your post, I believe we prettymuch agree on the key elements anyhow. And I believe your opinion is as valid as mine. We just have slightly different opinions on the how's and why's. In the end, the numbers tell a well known tale in my opinion.

Thanks, Ron.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Do you still get Beckett Magazine?

matfanofold said:
This in a nutshell was all I was really trying to say, and the numbers really do show just how displeased they are with Beckett as a whole. However, I believed this to be the case before this poll and is why I do not find the numbers "insane" at all, but just what i would figure coming from a board full of members, one way or another, displeased with Becket..

Despite the overall 'disageeing' tone with your post, I believe we prettymuch agree on the key elements anyhow. And I believe your opinion is as valid as mine. We just have slightly different opinions on the how's and why's. In the end, the numbers tell a well known tale in my opinion.

Thanks, Ron.
I guess despite the fact I no longer visit Beckett.com or get their magazine (like most of the people here) I never realized how far the numbers had gone and how many others were doing the same.

Pete14Rose

Aug 13, 2008
Virginia
I stopped using their price guide for pricing cards..YEARS ago. I go by an averaged completed sales on Ebay.

That said, I stopped using their magazine for toilet reading when they merged all the sports together.

What a hairbrained, ridiculous idea.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Nope. After the 15 color pages in the front that takes a total of one half hour to browse through, I let me subscription run out 2 years ago. Waste of time really. I haven't seen the new format, but I really have no interest. I told Beckett about several updates that shold have been made to the price guide and they pretty much blew me off. So I blew them off.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
wideright said:
Nope. After the 15 color pages in the front that takes a total of one half hour to browse through, I let me subscription run out 2 years ago. Waste of time really. I haven't seen the new format, but I really have no interest. I told Beckett about several updates that shold have been made to the price guide and they pretty much blew me off. So I blew them off.
I'm wondering if they'd still be as hesitant to make changes as they used to be.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I buy it every couple of months but its mostly just so I have something to read on the throne.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
My wife thought she was being nice and renewed my subscription. Can't fault her for thinking she was doing something she thought I would like

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I just wanted to chime in that old beckets are actually a treasure trove of info, and i've recently gone about buying up old copies when i can find them for less than a buck an issue. Just got SIXTY unique ones this weekend for 30 bucks at the local Raleigh show.

Just the other day, everyone was freaking out about how many Alfac Autos there were, and i was able to point out exactly where there were 250 set aside for autos in the october 2006 (and october 2007) issue.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:
I just wanted to chime in that old beckets are actually a treasure trove of info, and i've recently gone about buying up old copies when i can find them for less than a buck an issue. Just got SIXTY unique ones this weekend for 30 bucks at the local Raleigh show.

Just the other day, everyone was freaking out about how many Alfac Autos there were, and i was able to point out exactly where there were 250 set aside for autos in the october 2006 (and october 2007) issue.

To answer the poll, i dont get it, but i like buying old ones for reference.

Johnny G

Sep 29, 2008
Jersey Shore
I only subscribe as it is an easy gift for my grandmothwer to get me. Still affordable, but may decline after next year. At least a few free gradings with renewal would be nice on their part, you would think?

braden

Aug 7, 2008
I've always found Beckett to be a pathetic rag. Ads masked as 'articles', atrocious writing which went even further downhill in recent years when they tried to throw in ironic humour. I think it's been about 5 years since I've purchased an issue and at least 2 since I've seen one.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:
Mudcatsfan said:

I'm right with you on this, though I can't say the same for more recent issues. Do you feel the same about the last couple years of Beckett?

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Mudcatsfan said:
Mudcatsfan said:

I'm right with you on this, though I can't say the same for more recent issues. Do you feel the same about the last couple years of Beckett?

Actually yes, there are great little nuggets in there every other issue or so. But enough to get a subscription? no.

I'm actually planning on compiling my thoughts on some old articles and looking back at 'where we were' in the hobby at various points in time. (from a prospecting perspective of course).

I might try to submit it to Beckett, but honestly the opins of people i like the most are here.

Basically, i'm gonna go back and rip Ben Ecklar a new one.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:
Actually yes, there are great little nuggets in there every other issue or so. But enough to get a subscription? no.

I'm actually planning on compiling my thoughts on some old articles and looking back at 'where we were' in the hobby at various points in time. (from a prospecting perspective of course).

I might try to submit it to Beckett, but honestly the opins of people i like the most are here.

I emailed Beckett a couple days ago to get a feel for where they are. You may remember a while back I had made an agreement with them to pen a few articles. I sent in the first right around the time they switched the format, and they never did print it. I've had a ton of thoughts of things I'd love to see in a magazine, as well as a thought on a more useful pricing structure. Almost makes me want to put out my own magazine...

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Mudcatsfan said:

I emailed Beckett a couple days ago to get a feel for where they are. You may remember a while back I had made an agreement with them to pen a few articles. I sent in the first right around the time they switched the format, and they never did print it. I've had a ton of thoughts of things I'd love to see in a magazine, as well as a thought on a more useful pricing structure. Almost makes me want to put out my own magazine...

Top, you and I and a few others around here COULD put out better content with our good typing hand behind our backs.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Mudcatsfan said:
Topnotchsy said:
Mudcatsfan said:

Top, you and I and a few others around here COULD put out better content with our good typing hand behind our backs.
At one point in time I contacted CGilmo seeing what he thought. He felt that print media was a dying field, though I'm not convinced. Any idea what sort of work would go into getting something in print? (Print just seems way "realer" that online, and is the way I would want to go if it was an option.)

Members online

Latest posts