Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you think it's ethical for card shop owners to..............?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
The only time my LCS does it is when he gets in the pack wars if we are a guy short which is cool. If he gets the hit(s) that's fine because we all did it together. If we are at trade day, he'll let us know if something was pulled for example in Absolute Football if the auto's were pulled he'll tell us but the jersey's will still be there if anybody wants to crack them.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
The only time my LCS does it is when he gets in the pack wars if we are a guy short which is cool. If he gets the hit(s) that's fine because we all did it together. If we are at trade day, he'll let us know if something was pulled for example in Absolute Football if the auto's were pulled he'll tell us but the jersey's will still be there if anybody wants to crack them.

I started the thread, and I have no problem with the owner joining in playing Pack Wars.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I have seen this as well - by my request on occassion, and I am ok with it. I dont like when there are only two or three packs left in a box that has 16-24 packs in a fresh box. I have asked the owners if they would open a fresh box and they usually will rip the last few to give a fresh box.

Last time I did this the owner hit a BDP Fulmer Gold Ref Auto - I own that card now, but it cost me $55 instead of $3.50. Lesson learned, I now buy the last couple packs...and the fresh box too.

** I was replying to an earlier post, missed the quote button**

Last edited:

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I only buy sealed boxes. I don't think it's unethical for a owner to open a box or 2 of each product. They have to know what they are selling and can have singles of a new product in the display cases and commons bins.

I know my LCS will break some of the products and they have been around for 20+ years.

They have let me open cases and pick a box several times (with other cases having been opened and displayed)
Cards are packed randomly its not like every box is going to awesome you get plenty of duds. If you can buy 1 box and pull the SupergoldpurplemetalPachRelic Auto every time then teach me how!

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Is it unethical? No.

Why? They bought the packs with their profits (hopefully), therefore, it's their choice to open the packs or not.

Now, that's not to say I think it's a "smart" idea, but it's definitely not unethical.

However, if a situation arose where a shop owner busted a few packs, happened to pull the hits out of those packs, and then tried to sell the rest of the box at full price while persuading people the box is full of good stuff, then I have an issue because that is wrong.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
I used to love finding open boxes with more packs in the box than what was posted on the package. One hobby shop owner would re-fill open boxes if the hits were pulled, or if less than 5-10 packs were left over. Stopped buying single packs after seeing this.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
It depends. If you are speaking of a hot, new product that sells well, probably not. There's a chance you may take a good hit out of a case that could go to a paying customer.

For products that aren't selling and are taking up space - why not? The owner likely isn't going to make a profit from it anyway, so why not get a little enjoyment out of opening it?

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
When I lived on Long Island 10 years ago, there was a guy who did the Hofstra show that would sell "Hot packs" AND sell the other packs. I always wondered if anyone would buy those packs knowing he pulled all the hits and sold them for I think $10- $20 a pack. I hated that guy. I won't even buy single cards from his case knowing what he does.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
It's not unethical but also isn't smart business. I used to work at a card shop when I was younger. The owners love sports, but aren't card collectors. There were only two instances when they would open product:
1. If it's a new product and don't have samples to show. We would let the customer pick a pack and open it. We would keep the contents of that pack toward the back of the box to show as a sample.
2. We had a couple customers that were set collectors. We would open a box to make the set and also have cards for other set builders. The box would only be opened in the back outside the view of customers.

The owners want the customers to pull the big cards. They obviously know what they are doing since they have been in business 20+ years in a small town. It was also discouraged for anyone working there to open purchased product behind the counter. When I bought product, I opened them at home. We also immediately shuffled the packs of a fresh box before letting a customer grab packs.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I think it's fine if they bust the whole box or case. That's their problem if they don't want to profit off of unopened product. Then again, I know a store in Milwaukee that opens everything they buy and sells the singles.

I think the most important thing is that you stay away from buying packs from any opened box. If you do that, I don't see what the problem is.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
one time a few years back I used to got a shop near me. I spent a lot of money there. ALOT. now at the time I had long hair. I went through a dry spell for a few months and shaved my head. When I went back I was looking for singles. he really have me a hard time. he was hesitant to help me or sell the cheap .05 cent cards to me. he said he likes to sell them to the people who spend money more there or people why buy his packs to help them instead of new people. I didn't say anything even though he didn't recognize me. That really rubbed me the wrong way. new buyer or old time buyer is this how you treat people who you think is new? Well, A few months went by and I got a bunch of packs from him and pulled a dual GU of a Mays. I ran back in and showed it to him. he said "you just pulled that from me?" Then he gave the other guy there a funny look. almost like "we checked all these packs" Something really rubbed me the wrong way with this guy. Well he closed son after.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
As a store employee, I can say that a Dealer working out of an open box is NEVER a good idea.

I'd open a full box of each product to build singles and cater to Player and set collectors, but anyone who opens up packs out of the Shelf packs box is not gonna last long, either by loss of money or loss of reputation...

Members online