Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

DUGOUT FIGHT! Papelbon vs. Harper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
How many folks are outta DC after the season ends ? What a ****ing disappointment this year and Papelbon is the molding cherry on top.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
How many folks are outta DC after the season ends ? What a ****ing disappointment this year and Papelbon is the molding cherry on top.

so funny how stuff like this happens. The Nats, not the fight. You lose in a division where the division winners record wouldn't even get you a wild card spot and you were supposed to be the best team in all of baseball? Pathetic, luckily i've been a Redskins fan for over 20 years so i know how to handle disappointment.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm surprised Williams didn't send Papelbon to the showers after grabbing Harper's throat and potentially injuring his star player.
I guess he didn't want to punish his closer during a tie game. Makes you wonder if it was anyone else other than the closer during a close game.
Then Papelbon rightfully gets pummeled in the 9th and loses the game. Nationals should release that ******.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Ken - I've seen it happen, but usually it's retirement / firesale that kills the year after. This year, though, everyone & their third cousin was picking the Nats to do well. Heads GOTTA roll in D.C. and Matt Williams will be the first gone.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Breaking news - Matt Williams is not only a dud, he's a blind dud.

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP
Matt Williams clarifies: he did not see video of Papelbon-Harper incident until after fan jersey giveaway & he spoke with reporters. MW was at other end of dugout. Had he known severity of fight, he said he would "absolutely not" have used Papelbon for 9th inning. Williams said behavior like that is not acceptable. "I’m livid about it."

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I like the look on poor Trea Turner's face, hoping exactly what happened wasn't about to happen behind him with him pinned up in the corner.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
As a Phillies fan I thought it was pretty funny. Of course, Papelbon isn't the only ex-Phillies pitcher that doesn't care for Harper. But Cole Hamels handled it in a different manner. Go Phillies!!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I'm interested in knowing how people define "run it out" when talking about a popup? A half-assed jog like Harper did (a half-assed jog in which he still arrived at 1st before the ball was caught)? Somewhere between a half-assed jog and a sprint? A crazy-go-nuts Puig sprint?

I get it, Harper doesn't hustle sometimes. He's a massive ******. Other players don't like him. I don't necessarily like him. I still don't get how Harper takes so much heat here. Is it because he didn't support the other massive ****** that hit Manny Machado last week?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Nationals suspend Papelbon for 4 games

CQAeJAVUsAIuFBW.png:large

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Papelbum's season is over. The Nats just announced he's been suspended four games, on top of the three game suspension for hitting Machado (he's dropped his appeal).

Now, they just need to get rid of him altogether.

Last edited:

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I picture the following alternative scenario:
1. Harper runs his butt off as soon as the ball leaves his bat.
2. By the time the ball hits, and falls out of, the left fielder's glove, Harper is still sprinting, well on his way to second base.
3. The (shallow) left fielder picks up the ball and easily throws out Harper by a mile at second base.
4. Harper jogs off the field and nears the Nationals dugout, only to find Papelbon screaming at him for his stupid baserunning blunder.
5. Matt Williams, at the other end of the dugout, is annoyed that Papelbon's yelling has awoken him from his weekly Sunday nap.
6. Papelbon, in a fit of rage, chokes Harper for his stupid baserunning blunder.
7. The internet goes nuts with Harper haters criticizing his selfish, stupid baserunning blunder.

Any questions?

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
honestly - I don't have a problem with what Papelbon said. How many times have we seen popups get dropped or missed, and a baserunner who hustled turns into into a double? It happens all the time.

However, Papelbon shouldn't have tried to strangle Harper - that's never excusable.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
honestly - I don't have a problem with what Papelbon said. How many times have we seen popups get dropped or missed, and a baserunner who hustled turns into into a double? It happens all the time.

However, Papelbon shouldn't have tried to strangle Harper - that's never excusable.

to be fair, and pardon my bias but Harper ran plenty hard enough for a shallow pop fly. Like it was said earlier, no way he makes it to second base on that hit if its dropped even if he is sprinting from the get go.

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
No dog in the fight.

If Harper sprints it like his hair is on fire how many people would accuse him of hotdogging???

Members online

Latest posts