Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

EBay Pickup and a Prospecting Thought

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
While perusing EBay this morning for some new rookie autos I saw this freshly posted autographed Pujols card from 2001. I guess the price was "low" because of the edging on the right, so I discounted it even more and made an offer. By the time I got to my office it had been accepted and for less than the pride of a Corey Saeger chrome or a Bryant Auto I was able to add to my Pujols PC with a card that at one time sold for several times more than I paid for it.

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1457626627.757033.jpg

Just wanted to share as what more does Albert need to do?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I'll never understand how people pay huge for a guy in single A over someone like Willie freaking Mays but I've spent 80 on a Mike Trout Heritage action variation. I think Albert is a first ballot HOFer pretty easily, maybe his departure from the Cards hurt his value?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
One one hand a player who is in his declining years, even though he has put of HOF numbers, is not exciting to people.

On the other hand, that edge is terrible and I would just pass on considering a modern card for my collection if it looked like that. To me that ventures beyond "chipping" and into "paper loss" territory. The seller was probably having difficulty getting decent offers.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
One one hand a player who is in his declining years, even though he has put of HOF numbers, is not exciting to people.

On the other hand, that edge is terrible and I would just pass on considering a modern card for my collection if it looked like that. To me that ventures beyond "chipping" and into "paper loss" territory. The seller was probably having difficulty getting decent offers.

Yeah, a declining superstar is never going to reach the prices of "the next big thing". Even if Seager manages to reach long term superstar status, when he's in his declining years the prices of his cards won't touch the prices of "the next big thing".

Prospecting is just gambling which is why prices reach such high peaks but by the time the player has been in the majors a few years (unless they become Trout, Harper, Kershaw, etc.) his prices will never be close to what they once were because the gamblers are no longer focused on them and not bringing their big pockets.

It's just a game of hot potato.

Members online