Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay's autograph authentication policy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I recently purchased a card worth close to $400 and was surprised to hear that it needed to be sent away to get authenticated first even though the back of the card shows that it is an authentic autograph. I understand why they want cards worth $300 or more authenticated but not sure why cards that have a hologram or message on the back showing that the autograph is authentic still need to be sent away for authentication.

But unfortunately it seems like there are a lot of scammers on eBay now and they ruin it for other people.

Is anyone else frustrated with the authentication policy?

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
It's got nothing to do with authenticating the autograph again. It's to make sure you're not getting scammed by bait and switch....to make sure what you get is really what you bought in other words.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
It's got nothing to do with authenticating the autograph again. It's to make sure you're not getting scammed by bait and switch....to make sure what you get is really what you bought in other words.
I understand but what I'm saying is that most autographed cards that come out of packs either have a hologram that reads "certified autographed issue" or "Congratulations, you have received a certified autographed card...." so they don't really need to be authenticated by a third party. The only cards that I think really need to be authenticated are cards that were signed by players in person at events/games etc.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
The authentication process is not for the autograph; it's for the card itself to ensure it's real and what the seller stated. I've bought two cards that went through the process, and neither were autographed.

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
When searching for certain players I see so many of those Topps "Through The Years" and "Topps Now Review" cards listed as autos and people bidding up crazy amounts for them.... even though they aren't auto'd, they are pictures of cards that were signed. I hope that the process is weeding out cards like these because to those who don't pay attention and go off the listing title, it's absolutely deceiving. When I go through I try and flag these titles as such. Hopefully I am saving some people some money in the process.

All these are those types of cards listed as Auto, SP and Patch. These cards are a problem, in my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts