Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Espn Arod Used Roids With Yankees And IN High School

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Anyone calling out Selena Roberts is being childish. Her job is to report information. Obviously this is news by the fact that it has drawn such strong attention and opinion. You may not think it's important but that doesn't make her or the story irrelevant.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
LLWesMan said:
Anyone calling out Selena Roberts is being childish. Her job is to report information. Obviously this is news by the fact that it has drawn such strong attention and opinion. You may not think it's important but that doesn't make her or the story irrelevant.

If she has legitimate evidence/proof that A-rod used other than when he admitted, I have zero problem with what Roberts is doing and until the book comes out you have to believe she has this evidence

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Have any of you who are criticizing Selena Roberts actually read the book?
Of course not, because it comes out on Monday.
You're reacting to snippets from the 250-page book.
Roberts was on Dan Patrick's radio show today and she said the overall book actually paints ARod as sympathetic, and taken advantange by adults when he was a teenager.
I'm not defending Roberts (and certainly not ARod), but wait until the book comes out before judging the author's intentions.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The thing I find the most unnerving, is the way a lot of you are acting as though the book is some kind of factual news report. This is a BOOK. It was made to sell copies and make money. To take it at face value before even reading it is pretty trusting of a person that is clearly out to make money off the subject. This is not like Canseco dealing first-hand knowledge here. Clearly the majority is siding with the writer of this book without any proof whatsoever of it's content and if the content is indeed fact. Don't act as though you know what is in the book is truth because A-Rod has been caught lying before.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I don't have time to read through all of your posts but you do realize that if in fact she is lying he could sue this woman and SI right?With that said...I think that this is all pretty much true since he cannot disprove anything and they are actually making a book.Its one of those things where you can't just talk a bunch of crap because if you do...you can have repurcussions.If there are none then it will speak volumes(which I believe will be the case).In any case...I think its all under the bridge.I am tired of hearing about it.Its old hat.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Therion said:
And my opinion is just more solidified. The day I commit a major crime, I want you guys in the jury booth.

I am all about giving the benefit of the doubt but I also don't think SI or Roberts would go this far without something to back it up.What they have is beyond me but we are talking major defamation here.They are literally dragging his good name through the mud.You don't do that unless you have some solid proof.Not in this day and age where lawsuits are as common as drinking water.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
Don't know if it's been said but, on ESPN this morning they said his Sophmore year he could barely bench 100LBs and 6 months later he was doing 310LBS, that's impossible naturally...

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Was thinking the same thing. Well said Lisa.

lisu said:
Eh, I don't care anymore about A-Rod. It wouldn't surprise me if he did the things stated in the book, and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
aw00d05 said:
Don't know if it's been said but, on ESPN this morning they said his Sophmore year he could barely bench 100LBs and 6 months later he was doing 310LBS, that's impossible naturally...

You'd have to hit the weight room every single day and even then its hard to imagine increasing by that much on your lifts.Seems like you would do some damage even trying.

Wes

OG
Administrator
predatorkj said:
aw00d05 said:

You'd have to hit the weight room every single day and even then its hard to imagine increasing by that much on your lifts.Seems like you would do some damage even trying.

You can't even bench every single day no matter how strong you are if you're trying to build muscle you have to take days off to recover. There is NO WAY he went from 100 lb bench to 310.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
predatorkj said:
aw00d05 said:

You can't even bench every single day no matter how strong you are if you're trying to build muscle you have to take days off to recover. There is NO WAY he went from 100 lb bench to 310.

Yes you can.Trust me...we did it.We were supposed to try and keep it legs one day and upper body the next but we'd still hit some upper body at least once a day.Of course nobody was doing 300 pounds every single day either.On the light workouts we would just do something easy and do a small to medium amount of reps but we never just stopped.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
My favorite baseball blogger, Shysterball wrote an article about this today

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/shyst ... artiality/

This morning I wrote that, while the facts are the facts when it comes to the A-Rod business, and that they will ultimately bear themselves out (or not), we should be mindful of the characterizations and judgments that accompany those facts:

Which in some ways illustrates my skepticism about the book. Not about the facts as such -- facts have a funny way of proving themselves right or wrong on their own, and once the book is out and A-Rod and his lawyers and publicists have their say, the allegations in this book will take on either an air of credibility or not. Lord knows after Clemens and Bonds and everything else, no steroid-related fact will shock me.

No, my skepticism involves how any ambiguities in the factual record will be spun and how the biographical fill-in will be slanted in order to make A-Rod out as a generally bad person. That's not a skepticism borne of some predisposition to defend A-Rod. I admire his talents, but I'm not a huge fan. Rather, my skepticism is based on experience of reading Roberts' previous work about Rodriguez.

As some people mentioned in the comments, there is more than Roberts' previous work on A-Rod to be considered when assessing whether she has committed an act of responsible journalism or a drive-by character assassination. For example, there's Roberts' work on the Duke lacrosse case. Via Timeswatch.org, here's what Roberts wrote in March 2006, in a column that Timeswatch says "seethes with the presumption of guilt":

Enter Selena Roberts. The same Selena Roberts who has already demonstrated a clear interest in making Alex Rodriguez into a villain. The same Selena Roberts who smeared the Duke lacrosse players. Even if we concede that she gets the facts right in her upcoming book, can we have any faith that she presents them with even a semblance of balance, as opposed to surrounding them with innuendo, rumor, conjecture, and false sanctimony?

Read the article on his blog for the full story. Greg is an excellent writer, and his piece on the journalist is very well thought out.

What your friend does not mention though is whatever way Roberts portrays A-Rod really doesn't matter.Sure there are blind sheep but any man worth his salt knows how to read between the lines.I make a daily exercise of it just picking up the newspaper.Just give me the facts.Sure its cool to know what you think on said subject but I don't put much stock in it.Well...if you can't understand that and be that way then you will have a hard time ever doing or understanding anything(not directed at you Chris but just in general).Fortunately I think a lot of people are wanting to read the book more for the facts or what can be presented as facts and not for one person's opinion.So how she portrays him really doesn't make or break the report.Not for me.Not for a lot of people.

And like I said...if she indeed steps over a line you can bet A-Rod will have some serious legal issues dropped on her faster than any one of us could read the book.It would surprise me if he didn't have a few people going over the book (all checking different parts of the book of course) so as soon as they could get together on what they found they could proceed to pick it apart one by one.And this could easily turn into a lawsuit.The thing is...the ball is in A-Rods court.One move breaks him and the other may buy him some time.I guess we'll see.

Wes

OG
Administrator
predatorkj said:
LLWesMan said:
predatorkj said:
aw00d05 said:

Yes you can.Trust me...we did it.We were supposed to try and keep it legs one day and upper body the next but we'd still hit some upper body at least once a day.Of course nobody was doing 300 pounds every single day either.On the light workouts we would just do something easy and do a small to medium amount of reps but we never just stopped.

Doing upper body everyday is different than doing bench press everyday.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
LLWesMan said:
predatorkj said:
LLWesMan said:
predatorkj said:
aw00d05 said:

Doing upper body everyday is different than doing bench press everyday.

We did bench press.Look...I am not going to argue its safe or healthy or smart.I won't.But it doesn't mean a bunch of 16 year old punks who play football don't do it anyway.

Pills

Aug 7, 2008
So far, the allegations have been rebutted by three sources:
His HS coach
Kevin Brown
Doug Mientkiewicz (his HS teammate)

To me, Mientkiewicz's rebuttal is the strongest:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Is it just me, or would a book written about Selena Roberts and the death of investigative journalism already have more irrefutable facts than have come out for this book?

Wes

OG
Administrator
Pills said:
So far, the allegations have been rebutted by three sources:
His HS coach
Kevin Brown
Doug Mientkiewicz (his HS teammate)

To me, Mientkiewicz's rebuttal is the strongest:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Is it just me, or would a book written about Selena Roberts and the death of investigative journalism already have more irrefutable facts than have come out for this book?

Not surprising they would rebuke the allegations. However Arod himself hasn't come out and denied them which is highly suspicious. If it's me and these allegations were false I'm filing a lawsuit immediately.

Members online