Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
moxacaine said:
Im not a collector but i wanted a slabbed rc auto for my PC so i picked this up tonight off ebay.

thomasauto.jpg

Very cool card!!

noaskiecards

Sep 19, 2008
Advocate for drug testing

As early as 1995, Thomas was advocating drug testing for professional baseball players.[30] After hitting his 500th home run, Thomas stated, "It means a lot to me because I did it the right way," alluding to Barry Bonds's then-ongoing pursuit of Hank Aaron's career home run record.[31] Thomas was, then, the only active baseball player to be interviewed during the preparation of the Mitchell Report. He did so voluntarily.

Thomas did it the right way!

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
Cobra29svt said:
Was there a gold version of this promo? I don't have the card anymore (sold it for $75), but I'm pretty sure it was also #1.

Chad. There is no gold version of this promo.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Cobra29svt said:
Was there a gold version of this promo? I don't have the card anymore (sold it for $75), but I'm pretty sure it was also #1.

The gold is a regular packed out subset serially numbered out of 10,000. It was numbered 1 out of 10 cards in the insert set. The regular 1994 Leaf Limited Frank is number 24 in the set and the promo is number 1. This card has been atop my want list for awhile now, but I had no idea it would go this high. :shock:

It will be interesting to see if this auction brings other examples out of the woodwork.

Steve

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
pootshwan said:
Cobra29svt said:

The gold is a regular packed out subset serially numbered out of 10,000. It was numbered 1 out of 10 cards in the insert set. The regular 1994 Leaf Limited Frank is number 24 in the set and the promo is number 1. This card has been atop my want list for awhile now, but I had no idea it would go this high. :shock:

It will be interesting to see if this auction brings other examples out of the woodwork.

Steve

I sure hope so. I'd like to think I wouldn't have bid this much, but if I got caught up in the bidding, who knows. I'm surprised that it made it to the end of the listing.

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
bustin_knuckles said:
Have a question about this auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290693629610
The guy says it's rumored the 1st 150 were black ink. I have one numbered 27/3500 and it's blue ink. Were any autographed in black or did someone just trace a faded blue signature? The 35 on the auto in the auction looks off. What's your opinions.

Justin. Never heard that the first 150 were signed with black ink. But I'm no expert on that issue either :)

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
gofrankgo said:
bustin_knuckles said:
The guy says it's rumored the 1st 150 were black ink. I have one numbered 27/3500 and it's blue ink. Were any autographed in black or did someone just trace a faded blue signature? The 35 on the auto in the auction looks off. What's your opinions.

Justin. Never heard that the first 150 were signed with black ink. But I'm no expert on that issue either :)
More rare but not super rare.

I had this copy graded. Sold 2 yrs ago now.

1993leafautographbgs95.jpg

Don't have the numbering at all, but I didn't think it was under 150

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
gofrankgo said:
bustin_knuckles said:

I know I have seen one of these at auction before in the past year. I think that someone had a faded auto and traced it with a sharpie. Looking closely at the photo the auto looks shaky and looks as though it was done very slowly. I don't think that there are any black autos......only blue ones that have faded to black. Anyone out there have a bold black auto for this card?

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
randyherth said:
gofrankgo said:
bustin_knuckles said:

I know I have seen one of these at auction before in the past year. I think that someone had a faded auto and traced it with a sharpie. Looking closely at the photo the auto looks shaky and looks as though it was done very slowly. I don't think that there are any black autos......only blue ones that have faded to black. Anyone out there have a bold black auto for this card?

Looking back again at the card listed, you should note that the card looks slightly faded, but the auto is very very dark. I'm almost 100% sure that this auto was traced with a sharpie.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Polandbob collection I see? Very nice haul. I've talked to him on the phone before. He wanted 4-figures just for the Sterling letter patch. Sounds like you talked him down quite a bit.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
BunchOBull said:
Polandbob collection I see? Very nice haul. I've talked to him on the phone before. He wanted 4-figures just for the Sterling letter patch. Sounds like you talked him down quite a bit.

Yep, that would be the ebay person. If any of you fellow Frank Thomas collectors are interested in trading for these, I would be willing, but this is what I am currently looking to trade for:

1993 Score Promo (Frank's Foot has picture underneath, where the normal version is cropped right at the base of his foot)
1994 Leaf Limited Promo/Sample 1 Frank Thomas
1994 Topps Black Gold ABCD Winner - Unredeemed
1996 Collector's Choice Crash the Game Gold (Earliest Date) CG10 Frank Thomas
1996 Leaf Gold Press Proofs 150 Frank Thomas
1996 Leaf Limited Pennant Craze Promos 3 Frank Thomas
1996 Leaf Preferred Steel Gold Promos 1 Frank Thomas
1996 Leaf Signature Autographs Silver 222 Frank Thomas SP
1996 Any Pinnacle/Leaf Executive Promo (serial number XXXX) for Frank Thomas
1996 Any Autographed Leaf Charity Thomas
1996 Pinnacle Aficionado Artist's Proofs 200 Frank Thomas CL
1996 Select Certified Certified Blue 135 Frank Thomas PP
1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold 135 Frank Thomas PP