Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
Can anyone help me locate a few graded Frank Thomas cards?

1991 Bazooka
1991 O-Pee-Chee Premier
1991 Topps Debut '91
1991 Topps Glossy Rookies
1992 Fleer Rookie Sensations

I'd like to get them in a 9 or better, PSA preferred but BGS works too. I posted this in the trade section, but I figured that some of you guys may have a source for these cards but maybe don't check that forum.

Thanks in advance!

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
I don't really mess w/ graded cards too much, esp if they're not RC's so I won't be much help. I did come across this one today though.

[ebay:1v38z88k]110548112432[/ebay:1v38z88k]

Jan 14, 2009
Cobra29svt said:
I don't really mess w/ graded cards too much, esp if they're not RC's so I won't be much help. I did come across this one today though.

[ebay:rosteokq]110548112432[/ebay:rosteokq]

Thanks, I put in a bid. It's one of my favorites!

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
Are any of you guys familiar with the executive master editions of various pinnacle brands from around 1996-1997? Just wondering if any of you have any Frank Thomas issues that you might share some images. I don't know much about them, but think the concept is pretty cool regarding them being given to executives as sample products prior to production.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Also wanted to add, the new Beckett is featuring error cards from the last 30 years, including acknowledging the 1990 Blackless errors. Sadly, Chris Olds didn't contact me and I'm afraid the article will contain some misinformation because they spoke with an individual who used the research that was done and found a stash of unopened material that contained the errors. This individual has set about trying to rewrite the work that was done with unsubstantiated information that, at this time, appears illogical.

Anyway, I'm glad it's getting the attention in the hobby it deserves, but I'm afraid I might only be angered by the article depending on how much they cover the story.

http://blogbeckett.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... -baseball/

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
Ross,
Yep. That's the unmarked Score promo. Looks like a clean copy with about 60/40 centering. Nice pick-up. Great price too.

wadeinbmore

Feb 27, 2009
Baltimore
Here's my latest pick ups. I basically got lucky and stumbled onto a store that still had a bunch of wristbands from early in Big Franks career. This purchase was for 10 pair of GU wristbands, 6 long and 4 small. All came with Thomas signed COA's and all exhibit great use! Also included was 4 unmatched GU wristbands as well...the important one to note is the Mizuno. From 90-92 Frank seemed to be trying out a bunch of different brands to see which he liked best (before landing on Reebok). Thomas Mizuno items are very very few and this is only the 3 wristband I've seen from them. I picked up a Thomas Mizuno 1st Basemans mit not too long ago and would be from this 1992 time period. Check out your 1993 Donruss and you will see this style wristband being used.

Also, a fun tid bit about the short Reebok wristbands...these are the original wristbands that Thomas was issued back in 93 when his Reebok contract started. He was sent these stubby wristbands in one of the first shipments of Reebok goodies that came to him. He used these short bands for a very limited time as he expressed a desire for bigger bands becaus he was 6'5 and 240 lbs ::facepalm:: With this being the first MLB contract Reebok had it was a bit of a learning experience. Also worth mentioning is the font size of two of the big pairs and one of the randoms, they are noticeably larger. This is the first time that I have obtained wristbands displaying this larger font size.

When all was said and done I purchased 13 pairs of wristbands and 4 randoms from the same source for a total of 30 wristbands :lol: Hope you guys enjoy this pic. Happy collecting ;)

Oh, and Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there. Hope Sunday is a dream come true!!!

photo-19.jpg

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
Man...that's a lot of wristbands ya got there! :shock:

Anyone else seem to have the same problem as me? Take my latest purchase for example. Paid around $90 for my 1st copy from Burbank. Saw this one listed & made a low offer of $35 shipped. Seller countered at $50ish (don't remember), & later sent me an e-mail saying that he'd accept my original offer if I resent it. So, because I paid $90 for my 1st copy, I couldn't turn down another for about 60% off. I seem to do this way too often. Anyone else?

frank98bowmansbestatomi.jpg
frank98bowmansbestatomik.jpg

wadeinbmore

Feb 27, 2009
Baltimore
I do this too. I like to think that it helps me control the market...or helps when someone offers to buy it, "eh, I've got two but would only sell for what I paid". Inevitably it's stil just a rationalization for me to make a new Thomas purchase :) All that being said, scarcity and availability are two collecting juggernauts that often fuel buyers wants, desires, and pockets. My 0.02 for what it's worth.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Love this thread even though I don't collect Frank. There's so much of his stuff out there that you can have a community of Frank collectors. If I were a Frank collector I'd be totally jealous of that jersey numbered Production Line.

I think I agree with the previous poster in that a 90's 1-of-1 is the ultimate. But I still value a 2000's 1-of-1 over a jersey numbered card just because if I've got it, nobody else can have it. With a jersey numbered card someone can at least have a non-jersey numbered card. Still, for me there's a thrill to get a jersey numbered card from a highly produced card just because I think the odds of me getting it just blows my mind. Especially with Rusty Greer because his cards #'d over 200 just don't hit the market much. My best is an 1998 SPx Spectrum 29/2250.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
Cobra29svt said:
Man...that's a lot of wristbands ya got there! :shock:

Anyone else seem to have the same problem as me? Take my latest purchase for example. Paid around $90 for my 1st copy from Burbank. Saw this one listed & made a low offer of $35 shipped. Seller countered at $50ish (don't remember), & later sent me an e-mail saying that he'd accept my original offer if I resent it. So, because I paid $90 for my 1st copy, I couldn't turn down another for about 60% off. I seem to do this way too often. Anyone else?

I have done this several times before, but that usually ends up with me bidding close to what I paid in the past, and then getting outbid at the last second (thankfully). Kind of my own price protection. I would rather own another at a cheaper price than know someone paid half as much. However, I have not yet seen any of my Burbank purchases hit auction since buying from them. I'm sure I would have done the same thing as you though.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
wadeinbmore said:
Here's my latest pick ups. I basically got lucky and stumbled onto a store that still had a bunch of wristbands from early in Big Franks career. This purchase was for 10 pair of GU wristbands, 6 long and 4 small. All came with Thomas signed COA's and all exhibit great use! Also included was 4 unmatched GU wristbands as well...the important one to note is the Mizuno. From 90-92 Frank seemed to be trying out a bunch of different brands to see which he liked best (before landing on Reebok). Thomas Mizuno items are very very few and this is only the 3 wristband I've seen from them. I picked up a Thomas Mizuno 1st Basemans mit not too long ago and would be from this 1992 time period. Check out your 1993 Donruss and you will see this style wristband being used.

Also, a fun tid bit about the short Reebok wristbands...these are the original wristbands that Thomas was issued back in 93 when his Reebok contract started. He was sent these stubby wristbands in one of the first shipments of Reebok goodies that came to him. He used these short bands for a very limited time as he expressed a desire for bigger bands becaus he was 6'5 and 240 lbs ::facepalm:: With this being the first MLB contract Reebok had it was a bit of a learning experience. Also worth mentioning is the font size of two of the big pairs and one of the randoms, they are noticeably larger. This is the first time that I have obtained wristbands displaying this larger font size.

When all was said and done I purchased 13 pairs of wristbands and 4 randoms from the same source for a total of 30 wristbands :lol: Hope you guys enjoy this pic. Happy collecting ;)

Oh, and Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there. Hope Sunday is a dream come true!!!

Awesome! Do you think that Frank knows you own every one of his wrist bands he ever used ;)

Members online

Latest posts